Overwatch Reveals The Last Bastion Animated Short

Overwatch [official site], the first-person shooter you don’t deserve, has produced another one of its animated shorts. These videos tend to dip into the lore (such as it is) and come out with silly fights across rooftops or flashbacks featuring tiny Gorillas. This time they are focusing on lovable murderbot Bastion. And it’s a little bit Pixar.

It’s not the only thing Blizzard have revealed while Gamescom has been going on. There’s a new map, called Eichenwalde, set in a German castle. Many characters will be getting buffs, nerfs, tweaks and emotes. And now if you type “gg ez” at the end of a match, you are treated like the numpty you are by an automated process which turns your bilious boasting into another phrase entirely.

The first season of competitive play has also now ended. This mode will undergo a bevy of changes, we are told, in time for Season 2. Your score will no longer be on a range of 1-100, said designer Jeff Kaplan in a development video, but lie on a scale of 1-5000, to give people a greater sense of progress or loss by seeing their score go up or down, not by fractions but by whole numbers. There are a lot of other changes, which Pip has already covered here.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. MrFinnishDude says:

I do love that “gg ez” filter.
    It doesnt stop people from saying it or being dickwads if they want to, but it sends a message of what everyone thinks of you. Those kinds of shame tactics are suprisingly effective.

2. Kamahlk says:

There’s a lump in my throat now.

gritz says:

It really is a lovely short.

4. SaintAn says:

Tears for the Tear God!

5. mattevansc3 says:

While there’s a hint of Pixar there, it feels more like a Studio Ghibli animation.

It’s likely down to my Love for Laputa that also has a war machine who’s gathered some moss and has bird friends. Though I tend to notice that Pixar relies on overly animated faces and dialogue to portray emotion whereas Studio Ghibli uses more coded methods such as body language, physical interaction including a lack of it and quiet sceneries’.

Here’s a promo picture for one of the guardians;
    link to 1.bp.blogspot.com

• Solidstate89 says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who immediately thought of Laputa.

• gunny1993 says:

I feel like you’re forgetting about wall-e, literary a film with very little dialog that relies on body language… Also it has a robot.

Lars Westergren says:

I think you are all forgetting about The Iron Giant.

Odd how good Blizzard are at doing writing for their animations, and how terribly bad for the games. Though I base this observation on SC2 and D3, haven’t played WoW in years or Overwatch at all.

• elevown says:

Except most rts fans seem to like sc2 and it’s still popular – and d3 became good once they sorted it out.. Blizzard are not doing ‘crap’ in the game department because of what you think of 2 of their games.

Lars Westergren says:

But that’s gameplay, right? SC2 is popular because of the multiplayer, and what was fixed in D3 is balance and gameplay mechanics. I doubt anyone still playing it cares about the story.

• Don Reba says:

SC2 has terrible writing, but people aren’t playing it for the story.

Lars Westergren says:

Then I guess we are in agreement.

• Doomstar says:

I always figured that the dubious story-telling for Warcraft and Starcraft came from the “How do we get each of the factions to team up and then fight each other and themselves so we can have all the X + Y vs Z maps?”

This does not explain the lame story and writing of Diablo though.

I enjoyed both a great deal, just not for the amazing script.

• mattevansc3 says:

The Iron Giant verbally communicates with a child and the art style of the cartoon doesn’t match up with Bastion’s animated short.

• mattevansc3 says:

If you watch Wall-E you’d notice there is a lot of dialogue/monologue/duologue. Just because Wall-E doesn’t use a recognizable language doesn’t mean he isn’t verbally communicating. The noises he makes, including the repeating of his name, changes in pitch, tempo and length in much the same Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy does. This still conveys messages such as an emotional state, a question or statement. As he uses this to communicate with others it is still dialogue.

Wall-E’s physical gestures are primarily done through his “face”, specifically his eyes and eyebrows. Even Evi uses emoticons on her “face” instead of expressing through her body.

So no, I didn’t forget Wall-E.

6. Jakkar says:

7. Xocrates says:

I was not particularly impressed with the previous shorts, but this one was genuinely very good.

And I don’t even like Bastion.

8. epmode says:

This is a bit brilliant. I’d give a lot for an Overwatch campaign mode.

9. Uberwolfe says:

Noo… STOP…. don’t make me actually start to like Bastion..!! Who else will I direct my vitriol at!

Well, I guess there’s always Mei. And McRee. And Genji.

• fearandloathing says:

well the internet seems to go bonkers again, with rule34 and so on. so you can direct some other things, well if that’s your kind of a thang. not that anything’s wrong with that. -spoiler:there are lots of things wrong with that-

10. It's not me it's you says:

It’s very telling how much better this short is than the others, while the only real difference is no spoken word script.

Blizzard, please hire some actual writers to go along with your world class animators and 2d/3d artists!

• Don Reba says:

Or! Replace all characters by mute robots! They don’t even have to be robots! Everybody wins! Well, except writers looking for work.

• Perjoss says:

Not a terrible idea, good animators can get a crazy amount of character and emotion from even the most simple of objects as long as they have a half decent rig to work with.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s still pretty overwraught (they’ve got the score trying to ram FEEL SAD NOW into you as hard as it can) but, yeah, not having any goddamn corny dialogue helps bunches.

11. GWOP says:

Robot PTSD.

12. NephilimNexus says:

Never played Overwatch.

13. Monggerel says:

Meh. The music was terrible.

…and so was the dialogue ZING
    GOT ‘EM