Rayman Origins Now Free on Uplay

The super colorful, super delightful, arms-and-legsless Rayman Origins is now free on Uplay for a limited time. Ubisoft is offering the game free of charge in honor of the company’s 30th anniversary.

They’re gifting fans with a new complimentary game every month until December as part of the ongoing festivities. Previous freebies include Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell in June and July respectively, although their free-to-download windows are now closed, and you’ll have to pay up if you don’t own them on Uplay already. Alas.

Once you download Rayman Origins on Uplay, it’s yours to keep forever, which is pretty nice of ol’ Ubisoft. Rayman Origins is an absolute treat of a platformer. It was originally released on consoles back in 2011, before it was quickly ported to mobile platforms and PC.

The game sparked an unexpected revival for the Rayman series, with its gorgeous 2D backgrounds and solid platforming physics, receiving critical acclaim across the board. It’s a joy to play for any skill level, but also offers an intense challenge if that’s what you’re after. The multiplayer is also quite good if you’re looking to get into a good-natured scream-fest with your friends.

From this site

DelrueOfDetroit says:

This is a near perfect game for playing with a tiny human being.

SimonOrbit says:

Agreed.

• Buggery says:

This is a near perfect game, tbh. Still the only game I’ve ever bothered to complete 100%

• Emeraude says:

My own personal experience of hunting down running away coffers with my niece seems to confirm that statement.

• Perjoss says:

At 5 4′ I can confirm that this is indeed a great game for smaller people.

Aitrus says:

Ay, thanks for letting us know. I hadn’t picked up any of the new ones, but I loved playing the old ones. The only one I owned was the 3D sequel. It was a blast.

X_kot says:

Staring eyes tags are no longer used, now this game isn’t called Rayman: Oranges. Is nothing sacred?

4. DanMan says:

Uplay, lol…

Grizzly says:

Yeah but RAYMAN.

I mean…

RAYMAN

You can’t argue that!

• PseudoKnight says:

I’ve never installed Uplay or gotten an account due to their horrendous record in meeting my standards. I struggled with it, but I finally decided to give it a try, if only for educational purposes and maybe a free (good) game. When registering it said my username was taken. This is unusual, but I don’t trust my memory and didn’t want to create a duplicate account. So I decided to try 4 combinations of email/pw with no success. I sent pw recovery to my 2 emails. Nothing. So I went ahead with registration and apparently they IP banned me. gg, Ubisoft. Maybe next year.

• PseudoKnight says:

I might have managed to bypass the IP ban by registering for a Uplay account instead of Ubisoft Club. It was a different form. Either that or the IP ban was 5 min or something.

5. Unclepauly says:

Small fix… You don’t have to download the game to own it. Just agree to the terms and accept the game and it’s yours.

6. fredtoy says:

I knew they would give some Rayman on this 30th anniversary promo! I didn’t expect it would be Rayman Origins.

My bet for the remaining months, in no particular order, are:
    – Some Might and Magic or HOMM.
    – The first Far Cry.
    – The first Assassin’s Creed.
    – Beyond Good & Evil.

• Czrly says:

Oh yes PLEASE!

I harboured a lot of anger against Ubisoft after they poisoned my copy of Farcry 3, bought on Steam, with UPlay DRM. I really hated that practice and swore never to touch another Ubisoft title again.

They really have redeemed themselves with this give-away, this year. So far, ALL the titles have been classics and all have been genuinely “without cost”. No “Join our Facebook Page” or “Sign up for this Newsletter” or “Twit us on Twitter” or whatever.

Uplay seems to be a lot smoother than it was when it began, years ago. In fact, I’d even say it’s slicker than Steam by far. It certainly launches in a small fraction of the time it takes for Steam to pick itself up off the sofa.

I suppose my problem with Uplay was actually never Uplay – it was the idea of third-party DRM on Steam. Subtleties.

7. Uberwolfe says:

*Narrows eyes*

Well played Ubisoft. But I for one will not fall for your scheme.

• MajorLag says:

I’d be right there with you if I didn’t already have a uPlay account. For what, I can’t remember, but it is in my password vault.

8. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Anyone who say ‘lol no uplay’ for this one time just needs to suck it the hell up and get this game. If you haven’t been exposed to the magnificence that is the rayman reboots, then you’re basically missing the best, most perfectly put together platformers ever made.

9. KillahMate says:

Anyone who might be ideologically opposed to getting Rayman on Uplay should know that the same game (and all of its predecessors, incidentally) is available on GOG.com completely free of any kind of DRM.

• Emeraude says:

I don’t know if it still holds true, but first edition at retail was too.

Only Ubisoft game I bought in a long while.

10. Chaoslord AJ says:

Great find, thanks. It didn’t even appear on the regular uplay store.

11. snv says:

That price is still not good enough.

12. mactier says:

I still don’t understand the concept of torture in this gameplay, but I’ll probably give it a try (this is exactly the problem of it – okay in a dark RPG, but maybe less in a flash-player-like sidescroller…).