Going Underground: Capy’s Below Delayed

Every day for eight weeks you’ve leapt out of bed beaming. “Hello, birds!” you trill to the stump-legged pigeons fighting over a kebab wrapper on your windowsill. “Hello, sky!” you cry to the clouds. “Hello, fork!” you yell, waving at the fork you’ve just trodden on. Nothing can put a dent in your day: it is summer, which means today could be the day Below [official site] comes out.

Mate. I’m sorry, mate. Bad news: Capy have delayed Below and haven’t given a new release window, saying they plan to “take the time that we need to complete Below without compromise”. It’s for the best, mate.

Below, if you’ve missed all the fuss, is a roguelikelike exploring the depths of a mysterious island. It’s being made by Capy, the folks behind Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP and Super Time Force. They’ve teamed up with Superbrothers musicman Jim Guthrie again for this too.

Capy explained the latest delay in a blog post last night:

“Making games is hard but rewarding work. Accepting, even after this long development, that the game needs more time is difficult, but it’s important that we are honest with ourselves as creators, and with you, the players.

“We’re sorry we let you down with yet another delay. But in the end, we need to make certain that the hard work we’ve put into this game turns into something you’ll love, and to us that unfortunately means keeping Below in the oven a while longer, until it truly is ready.”

As ever, I am happy to wait longer for a better video game. We’re hardly short on good games in the meantime, are we?

But god, look at this video game:

From this site

1. CurseYouAll says:

This game sounded exciting 3 years ago. Now I fear it will sink into oblivion among the sea of so many other high-quality indie releases.

AutonomyLost says:

What puts a dent in my every-day is not being able to use the word “mate” in normal conversation. There are many UK linguistic flourishes I admire from afar.

As for the delay: damn. Still, many games to play in the mean time.

• tormos says:

as a fellow USian i’ve been pretty succesfull at integrating casual britishisms into my speech. It’s the Scots and their beloved genital euphemism that you really need to be careful with here.

• tormos says:

I speak from experience after finding out the hard way that canadians, despite occasionally saying “mate”, interpret said euphemism rather like americans do.

3. Synesthesia says:

Dammit. I’m still really looking forward to this one.

4. Don Marcos says:

After the No Man Sky fiasco, I look very foward for those delays!

5. Sir_Deimos says:

The music reminds me of Stranger Things, hopefully Below’s soundtrack is even half as good.

6. Psychomorph says:

It’s for the better.

One of the few games I am really looking forward to, because other than others, I was not looking forward to No Man’s Sky and the other over hyped and over marketed things.

Mankind Divided should dry a tear or two in the mean time.