Vroom Vroom! F1 2016 Released

The world’s largest sporting event may be going on (the RPS Summer Games, obvs) but not everyone’s invited. Apparently some old fella named Ian Lympics decrees what is and isn’t sport, and he has little time for anything invented after the 19th century. Undeterred, eSports ploughed on and held Dota 2’s International and motorEsports are now virtuavrooming in F1 2016 [official site]. Codemasters today released their latest Formula 1 racing sim, and after a couple of disappointing years it sounds like this is a solid addition. Vroom!

Headline features with F1 2016 include full 22-player multiplayer and saveable multiplayer championships, which means you and 21 of your pals can race out a full season week-by-week if you fancy. It also brings back Career Mode, for folks to race with progression, and safety cars for sensible drivers. And lots of other technical and minor bits that I’m sure you’ll have read about before if you’re serious about F1, which I won’t pretend I have the in-depth knowledge to explain.

Early Steam player reviews are looking surprisingly positive, with many saying it’s a big improvement over F1 2015.

F1 2016 is £39.99/49,99€/$59.99 on Steam. It is also sold in something called a ‘box’?

Here’s the launch trailer:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Menthalion says:

Surely you mean Ian O’Lympics ?

AutonomyLost says:

O’Surely, she must have.

3. Unsheep says:

From the previews I’ve seen it seems like a solid release, but then again Codemasters have always produced fun racing games in my opinion.

The new Career mode is probably the most innovative thing about F1 2016, it think it will be very interesting. So as a single-player gamer I’m highly enthusiastic.

I won’t be buying it at launch though, as someone who has played through every single Codemasters F1 game, there’s not enough new stuff to warrant the hefty €50 price-tag. I’m currently playing other sim games with open-wheel content, so I’m not in a rush.

Then again, I also prefer Indycar of Formula One, so there’s that.

• Unsheep says:

* should be ‘over’ not ‘of’.

• Jason Moyer says:

I would love an Indycar sim in the vein of F1 2016. Especially if it included some historic content in DLC or whatever.

As an American who is also an avid sim-racer I always find it disappointing that there’s this rich history of American racing, particularly roadracing, that never gets included in sims. I would pay premium money for a CART/Indycar, IMSA GTP/GTO/GTX, or Trans Am sim from basically any era.

4. IcyBee says:

Overpriced (for an update of a game that’s been around for several years). Why no discount/upgrade offer for people who bought last year’s game?

And far too late. The season is more than half way through.

• OscarWilde1854 says:

I agree that their release date is a bit silly, but you can only play a game like this along with the real season? Seems a bit daft… and as far as the pricing, that’s just the current model of AAA gaming (especially with sport games! EA Sports….). You don’t get a discount on CoD because you bought last years game.. or FIFA 17 because you own FIFA 16. It sucks… but its reality.