Fez Quietly Gets A Beefy Final Patch

Hey, do you remember Fez [official site]? You know, the clever little platformer where you could rotate your 2D world on a 3D plane to solve puzzles? The PC version may have released all the way back in 2013, but Fez has just this week, quite secretly, gotten its final patch.

The patch had been in the works for about a year as the game’s sole programmer Renaud Bedard (who is now with Eidos Montreal) slowly chipped away. The massive fix was then tested by fans, friends, and speedrunners starting in January 2016.

Bedard discussed his plans for the unexpected patch on his blog:

“Since I shipped FEZ 1.11 I had little intention of making additional fixes or features to the game because I simply don’t have the time with a kid and a fulltime job… and working on FEZ is getting old after 9 years. So I did want to address problems that people have with the game, but I don’t want to do it for the rest of my life. I had spent enough time away from the game that I was somewhat enthusiastic about coming back to it, especially if it’s at my pace, and that it’s my last time doing so.”

I’d say it’s a worthy final patch, as it fixes up a number of key issues that improve performance quite a bit. The fix also improved controller mapping, graphics issues for both low and high-end PCs, and even threw in a speedrun mode. You can check out the full patch notes here, though they do get quite technical. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

You can try FEZ for yourself either on Steam or GOG for £6.99/9,99/$9.99.

From this site

Aitrus says:

I still hope that Phil Fish is secretly working on Fez 2… It’s never gonna happen, but I so so love this game.

Oakreef says:

TBH if someone leaked my bloody bank details publicly online because they didn’t like my opinions as a game developer I’d run away and never look back.

(just for clarity in case the post was misleading: I’m not actually a game developer)

Aitrus says:

Is that what happened? That’s rough, I didn’t know that.

• PancakeWizard says:

It’s not quite what happened. First he went on twitter rampage number seventy-eight, then attacked a fellow indie who was claiming they’d been sexually assaulted (not by him), then hackers got access to his servers and he rage-quit the gaming scene.

He might be smart, but he’s an odious bell-end.

• MajorLag says:

Maybe, but I can’t help but feel bad for the guy. From what little I know, he worked very hard on a labor of love, but has some obvious mental problems that, due to his success, are very public. As an unsuccessful developer with mental health issues, it’s easy for me because I don’t have to live with people remembering and recording everything I’ve ever said or written, calling me out on my ill-conceived statements for all time.

• KDR_11k says:

Strange how angry he gets yet made a game as calm as Fez, I would’ve thought that kind of personality would beget a more violent game.

• Insidious Mental Pollution says:

You might be surprised. At least some people who are prone to major internal discord or meltdowns tend to be driven to find or create things that are calming.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

And somehow a convicted rapist wrote the song Keep Ya Head Up. Common sense doesn’t exist.

• Czrly says:

… because nobody ever posted shit on Twitter before or bad-mouthed people on the Internet. He was the first and the worst and deserved righteous punishment. Smite him all to Heck!

• Ham Solo says:

“All the other kids do it, too” is a terribly lame excuse for horrible behaviour, you know…

• Yglorba says:

Yeah, it’s pretty much what happened. Someone took issue with what he said on Twitter and publicly leaked his bank details online. Worse, there are people who are awful enough that they’re still defending it (as you can see by scrolling up a bit.) No, “he posted a Twitter rant I disagreed with” is not a reason to harass someone like that FFS.

I don’t blame him for leaving the industry. The way he was treated was simply shameful, and the people who did it to him are still out there, patting themselves on the back like the awful excuses for human beings they are.

• Jalan says:

Either comments were removed or I’m missing where anyone in this thread has defended the actions of others posting someone’s personal info for the world to see.

• Urthman says:

There’s a fantastic YouTube video called This Is Phil Fish which is about the difference between people and the abstract personas the internet creates for famous people.

link to m.youtube.com

• BTA says:

He’s apparently been working on SUPERHYPERCUBE (I can’t find how it’s written when it’s not in all caps), so there’s that! Not that it affects PC-only (or really non-PSVR-getting) folks that much, though.

• Czrly says:

I do too. FEZ was one of the best experiences I had, last year.

I have no idea what happened to the dev. but the noises I hear make it sound like a tale of fanboys & Internet rage going way too far.

This is why we cannot have nice stuff.

I just hope the developer knows that there are some of us who really enjoyed his very original work and would buy more stuff from him.

• Turkey says:

You should watch Indie Game – The Movie.

• Czrly says:

Why? Because “outrage” is the currency of the Internet? For the truth? Or is it an even-handed, well researched story on the subject, delivered without personal investment, bias or emotional baggage, presenting lessons for gamers and game-developers for the betterment of the Indie future?

• thehuw says:

I’d actually argue that IG:tM falls squarely into the latter category – if nothing else it’s a pretty interesting watch, and does feel like a reasonably candid portrayal of the people involved, though obviously total objectivity is a lie. There are certainly many worse ways to spend 104 minutes.

• thehuw says:

It doesn’t cover the later controversies, to be fair, but I think it gives you a pretty good idea of Fish as a person.

Ninja Dodo says:

Indie Game – The Movie is broadly sympathetic to Fish, though it certainly shows him having a rough time (except for the IGF epilogue, though that sadly rings a bit hollow now with everything that happened after).

• NotGodot says:

Phish liked being a combative attention grabbing asshole on the internet, deliberately provoking controversy, anger and reaction right up until people started doing the same to him.

He brought it on himself because he thought he was the digital Andy Kaufman despite being nowhere near as clever or thick-skinned. It sucks that it had to hit a crisis for him to pull back, but his relative disengagement is healthier than his thin-skinned babbys first trolling.

• RobF says:

Fairly sure it was the moment people doxxed him and his company that did it really.

• Czrly says:

2. MrFinnishDude says:

How nice of him. Even after the internet shitstorm he still cares, I can respect that.

• FriendlyFire says:

Bedard isn’t Phil Fish. I don’t think the former’s been involved in anything special, it’s the latter that’s become internet (in)famous for a bit before vanishing into the ether.

3. cytokindness says:

Apparently the Humble Store version is still unpatched, from what I can tell.

4. shagen454 says:

FEZ is such an awesome game. I just ignore Phil and the 4chan/reddit/twitter/facebook corporately owned “indie” tweens. Though, I probably like Phil and his shenanigans more than that fucking crowd because he actually came out with a innovative DMT/hyperdimensional platformer, no small feat(feet) for any animal.

• Czrly says:

This is why my own indie games will be published under a secure pseudonym (and not this one, a fully fleshed out real-life identity). I don’t even use Twitter or Facebook, personally, but I just don’t ever want the fanboy-mobs (against OR for) to be able to connect anything back to me in real life.

5. invitro says:

Fish is just the latest of thousands of examples of people who are all-time great artists, and also all-time rotten people. Lennon is the archetype.

Ninja Dodo says:

Since when does responding angrily to abusive psychos make somebody a “rotten” person?

Chris Wray says:

There’s no justifying what people did to Phil Fish, but I can’t see any justification in how he quite frequently acted towards other people either.

But on the game, it’s admirable that Renaud has done this as a labour of love. Kudos to him.

• Ham Solo says:

Be honest to yourself, he did way more than just respond angrily to idiots.

• grrrz says:

…and by “rotten people” you mean regular human beings with actual flaws right (and pereaps a little more hypersensitivity than average)? To my knowledge Phil Fish didn’t murder or rape anybody, what he did wrong is just a matter of internet gossip. Because if you want actual exemples of great artists that did despicable things, we have Polanski (who druged and abused a minor), allegedly Woody Allen and Louis CK, and many many more. THIS is really serious. And still I consider and love their work.
      This is not irrational hate over a few opiniated comments or twitter replies to random assholes.

6. TinySquish says:

Regarding Fish, You should all really watch a Youtube video called “This is Phil Fish”.

P.S. Sorry, I don’t know how to hyperlink. :/

• Czrly says:

And why should we watch that? Outrage? Truth? An even-handed, well researched story on the subject, delivered without personal investment, bias or emotional baggage?

“Should” is hardly motivation.

• pulkmees says:

It actually IS a pretty damn well researched story about the subject.

• MajorLag says:

Pretty sure the point was that the post should tell us why we should watch something, not just that we should. Our time is valuable, give us reasons why we should spend it on your recommended viewing/reading.

• Yglorba says:

Here is a link to the video, and here is a transcript for people who prefer that. As it says, it’s less about Fish than about what’s wrong with how we interact with celebrity and fame on the internet, the problems subcultures have with that, and how it leads to stuff like what happened with him.

The key takeaway is that it’s glaringly obvious when you think about it that most of the hatred directed at him was never actually about him.

• grrrz says:

nobody actually deserves this kind of hate. He didn’t molest a kid or raped anybody’s grandmother for christ sake. Looks like the angry mob burning the witch. Totally understand that even with the thickest of skin you would not stand this and run away. (the video linked above is pretty good)