RTS-FPS Revival: Savage Resurrection Released

Old people might remember Savage: The Battle for Newerth, a combination of FPS and RTS released in 2003 by S2 Games. The studio have focused on MOBAs in recent years, releasing Heroes of Newerth and Strife, but they’re back genremashing now. After a stretch on Steam Early Access, they’ve properly released Savage Resurrection [official site]. Based on the first Savage game, Resurrection offers 16v16 men vs. monsters multiplayer where one player on each side is a commander and the rest are their troops to direct around. Build bases, lead attacks, smash the enemy’s stuff up… it’s an RTS played by FPS players, yeah?

So! Two teams. They both play differently, with the humans mostly preferring guns and monsters being more into claws and fists – ’cause they’re already on the ends of their arms, yeah? Different classes are different units, with different possible loadouts. As you’d expect from an RTS, your team needs to build and research certain things to open up options.

That’s it, yeah? An FPS-RTS. Like the name says. Like the good Battlezone or Natural Selection. I played a bit of Savage back in the day but never really clicked with it, probably because I’d already fallen in love with Natural Selection. Savage didn’t seem as interesting as an FPS or an RTS. I only pubbed around briefly before returning to NS, mind, so this might be half-remembered guff.

Savage Resurrection is out on Steam for £11.24/14,99€/$14.99, which includes the 25% launch discount available until Thursday.

Here’s a recent trailer explaining more about how the game works:

From this site

1. Jreengus says:

Oh Hey Savage, I remember playing that tons a few years back.

“Old people might remember Savage: The Battle for Newerth”

I no longer like you Alice.

2. Freud says:

Savage was an amazing game and in a parallel universe where things are fair, it would have been a massive hit.

• Fiatil says:

Pretty much this. The game wasn’t exactly in my wheelhouse, but circumstances conspired to let me have enough money and the right amount of hype when it came out and I loved it. The player base never really took off enough to make games easy to find after the first couple of years, but I went back to it whenever the opportunity presented itself.

So everyone should buy this. It definitely captures the feel of the original, and seems to have added an AI commander mode to make it easier to find matches.

3. klops says:

I often wonder which are worse: Game names or metal band names.
    I don’t have the answer.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Well, unless you can find a game name worse than Abörted Hïtler Cöck then I’m pretty sure we have a winner.

• Explodian says:

“Savage Resurrection” sounds like a pretty solid doom album, to be honest.

• unacom says:

So, it kindly goes where I wanted C&C Renegade to go?

4. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Old people. Right. Thanks for that, bastard.

5. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Am I the only one who read it as Savage Erection on first pass?

6. Stretchchris says:

I read the title and thought “they better mention NS”, so thank you for doing so twice. I’d definitely recommend NS2 as well.

7. pentaxis says:

Downloaded this because the concept sounded amazing based of this article. Played it for 2.5 hours. My thoughts:

Very vanilla. Even the menu system looks sub par.

Not enough tech tree stuff or unique options on the commander side to implement different strategies. The FPS side is weak too, with mundane weaponry that usually has people standing 100 yards away from each other moving back and forth like a target practice site. Balance needs dialed as well. Currently the block + stun is too powerful.

Overall, I really wanted this game to be awesome, but there just isn’t enough strategic depth to make it much more than a fairly unpolished FPS with essentially time based unlocks for weapons. I think I will remove it and reinstall in 6-8 months to see if it has been flushed out and polished up at all.

8. Sarfas says:

I would recommend that anyone reading this interested in the game should check out the games predecessor. Essentially the devs kind of fluffed this game release and Savage Resurrection is unpolished, buggy, lacking lots of quality of life features and with a playerbase that has dwindled to nothing in a very short period of time.

By comparison Savage XR is currently community maintained, free, runs way better, has more quality of life features for players (better in game vote systems, a decent tutorial, a melee practice arena etc.) and is a far better implementation of the games underlying systems. It also has a higher player population, which should tell you a lot about how badly Sav Rez has been bungled – pretty much every old player who tried it went back to XR. XR’s population is still very low – we only have active EU servers with around 50 players in a game at peak times. But we still have matches every day during afternoon – late evening EU times.

Personally I think the main strength of the game is the melee combat, which is a really great system. It takes a couple of tries to learn the basics, but it’s really fluid and dynamic with lots of room for player creativity. Here’s a video showing a small sample of what it looks like:
    link to youtube.com

You can download XR from newerth.com. Don’t be shy about asking for help if you do decide to check out the game. It has a bit of a learning curve to it and the community is pretty experienced – but I only started playing about 2 years ago (game came out in 2003 I believe originally) and it’s been one of the most fun and rewarding MP games I’ve ever played. So long as you don’t mind playing with a game with a population of a few hundred players instead of several million then I heartily recommend it. Personally I’ve never seen that as an obstacle to having fun. :)