Yarrr! Open-World Pirate ‘Em Up Tempest Released

Way back in the year MMXV, we sent Marsh to Prematurely Evaulate an Early Access open-world pirate RPG named Tempest [official site]. He sailed the seas, plundering ineptly and kinda liking it despite a fair few problems. Well yo ho ho, shivers me timbers, fill me boots with cockles, and get me so smashed on grog I’m an problem sparking spirited debate in the morning – eight months later, Tempest has now left the port of Early Access Harbour and sailed into the Properly Released Sea.

Since Marsh played, the developers have added proper open-world sailing, more ships, new sea monsters, more quests, a giant turtle with a city on its back – y’know, standard pirate stuff. Oh, and you can recruit up to three pals to plunder together in multiplayer. Or turn on each other – y’know, standard pirate stuff.

That’s what Tempest is all about: pirate things. Sail, battle, plunder, run missions, buy and upgrade ships, develop your crüe, pick up a few magical tricks, and try not to be destroyed by unholy sea creatures. That’s the idea, anyway. How has the finished game come out? Dunno! Marsh is too busy at Mojang in his shed made of solid gold cubes nowadays.

Tempest is on Steam for Windows and Mac, priced at £10.99/14,99€/$14.99. Here, have a peek at the game and rock out to these authentic pirate tunes:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Niteowl says:

1) Does it use any wind in the sailing mechanic? Or are you just a sideways tank?
    2) Did they actually misspell ‘battleships’ in the trailer?

2. Jediben says:

Ok 0:18 :
    What the hell is a BATLLESHIP

3. phreddo says:

BATLLESHIP is best kind of shpi!

Herzog says:

That looked fine – then monsters showed up! :((

5. LewdPenguin says:

Oh well, the never ending quest goes on for a game to fill the role of AC:Black Flag 2.

But really, did nobody at the developer/publishers watch that trailer back before posting it and realise?

• UncleLou says:

What about that Warhammer Corsair game? Not played it, mind, but it’s on the wishlist. Steam reviews mostly say it’s like AC:BF, only better.

6. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Any chance of a WIT? I’m kinda in the mood for a proper pirate sandbox.

Ps: I miss Marsh.

7. Cederic says:

Would be lovely to hear wot RPS thinks on this one. I likes me a good pirate ’em up.

8. Rich says:

Minus the Assassin’s Creed stuff though.

9. xfstef says:

They ruined it by putting monsters and magic in the game. Less is always more.

10. Cinek says:

I think I bought it ages ago, before monsters were in, played it a bit and it was an utter shit. I see graphics haven’t improved a bit since then, hope that at least gameplay did…

11. tonicer says:

Instabuy if it wasn’t for the monsters. :(

• MikoSquiz says:

I was considering it, then decided to buy it because sea monsters (and therefore hopefully also voodoo and skeletons), then was put off by the trailer music and now am not buying it again.

12. Pharaoh Nanjulian says:

Anyone who wants a ‘pirate ’em up’ would do well to try Akella’s “Pirates of the Caribbean” with the “Build Mod”. They’ve added open seas, real time sailing (sextant and compass optional); new quests; hundreds of ships; ability to play as Hornblower or Jno. Aubrey…the list goes on. And the sailing mechanics aren’t terrible either. Not bad for thirteen years’ work on a game from 2003!

• funky_mollusk says:

That does look promising… Unfortunately I can’t see the base game available thru normal channels.

Has anyone tried Windward? That looks good too. more like Sid-style pirates rather than ACBF-style pirates…

Comment on this story