Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade Due September 23rd

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is no word for ‘please’. And don’t even get me started on the state of their property law! Epitomising the worst of all this rudeness is Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade [official site], a third-person shooter MMO about those rude futuremen duffing each other up for control of a planet in an endless war. A visit to the Land Registry would clear these boundaries right up, you guys – no need to murder each other for territory. Oh, spaceboys will be spaceboys! And Eternal Crusade is now due to launch on September 23rd, after eight months in Early Access.

So, Eternal Crusade! It’s a bit like PlanetSide in that different factions – Space Marines, Chaos, and Eldar (with Orks to come) – are scrapping for control of territory. As I understand it, it’s less PlanetSide open-world shenanigans than it is Battlefield with boundary changes as victory rewards. Along with PvP factionmurders, it has PvE missions and all.

Player reviews on Steam Early Access are not looking great, but it’s not clear how much will be added or changed before the game properly launches. Er, here’s an infographic reflecting… something. Given the number of complaints folks have about its current Early Access state, a September launch does seem a touch optimistic.

Still, developers Behaviour (them lot behind Naughty Bear) are focusing on the PC version for now, delaying the console release.

“We are committed to delivering the best experience for the release on September 23rd, with a PC version that matches our ambitions in terms of content and quality and sets the runway for our free lifetime expansions,” Behaviour’s Stephen Mulrooney said in the announcement. “To pause the development of the console versions was a tough decision but will result in an optimized and extended experience when released.”

I don’t know. The last time we looked at Eternal Crusade was back in January. For now, here’s the PC launch trailer:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Auru says:

Ever wish a game was being developed by another dev entirely?

That is Eternal Crusade.

2. thehuw says:

It’s weird, two years ago I don’t think I’d have been able to picture myself, even for a second, thinking that there might be too many 40K games around.

3. Sleepery says:

So is it an mmo now, or still a lobby shooter?

4. The Ultimate Clone of The Ultimate Warrior says:

The people who are negative about Star Citizen need to take a long look at this game and figure out why CIG isn’t rushing to release like these devs are. We were promised a Planetside like game with Warhammer 40k trappings, After a restructuring at Behavior what we have is a janky, barely functional third person lobby based shooter that’s now being rushed out because the devs have no money left.

• DailyFrankPeter says:

Maybe it’s because they’ve done a restructuring not a retalenting. Seriously, I admire these guys for speed and business sense but I admire some other artists for… art.

5. Choca says:

Unless there’s a miracle patch or twelve to be released in the next few weeks, the game is doomed.

6. mcnostril says:

It’s still amusing how they’ve tried to ape Space Marine in animation and systems, and yet everything feels like a weightless cheap knockoff.
    When it worked, Space Marine multiplayer was pretty brilliant – then again, it rarely worked with the awful netcode.

7. Heavenfall says:

I can’t think of any other reason than them running out of money. The game is nowhere near finished, it’d need another year or two in development.

magogjack says:

I have to say, I like the game for what it is. I have had some absolutely epic fortress battles full of RP and everything.

I get why people are mad if they bought in during the planetsidealike pitch however.

Comment on this story