Hey Dood: Disgaea 2 Coming To PC In January 2017

The Windows debut of long-running zany JRPG series Disgaea was less than dazzling but I’m glad Nippon Ichi Software stuck with it. A few patches fixed a lot of the PC port’s problems, and now NIS have announced they’re continuing the series. Disgaea 2 [official site] will be round our way on January 30th, 2017 – a decade ater its PlayStation 2 debut. It sounds like NIS have learned from the last one, as they’re boasting about a few touches of fanciness.

For starters, Disgaea 2 will be on Mac and Linux as well as Windows. NIS say it has also new keyboard shortcuts, and obvs they’ve updated the UI and boshed in mouse support. As for what’s in this, the PC version will pack the contents of both the original Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories from PS2 and Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days off the PSP. It’ll also have three playable characters that NIS say “never made it to the West”, in Dark Eclair, Gig, and Miabel.

What is Disgaea, you ask? Well! It’s a turn-based tactical RPG full of ridiculous attack animations, big numbers, leet-speaking penguins, and, judging from that screenshot ↑ up there, at least one kaiju attack complete with fighter jets on strings circling the monstersuited menace. Splendid.

Here’s the PC announcement trailer, showing a smidge of its kooky shenanigans:

From this site

1. RedDragon says:

The Phantom Brave port Nis did after Disgaea was great so I think they’ve learned their lesson from the bad launch of the first Disgaea when it comes to ports. So I expect this port will be just fine at launch.

2. Snarkman3 says:

I hate JRPGs
    I hate grinding
    I dislike most anime

And yet I loved this game on the PS2. The gameplay really clicked with me, and I’m really happy this is coming to PC. I hope it’s still as fun as I remember it!

3. CarthAnne says:

I love Disgaea, and I’m not usually a fan of tactical rpgs, but I’ve been holding off on getting the pc port because of the performance issues. Sounds like its time for me to pick it up, and I am definitely looking forward to the sequel.

4. kode says:

They also made Adell, Rozalin, Zetta, and Pleinair(!!!) playable for Disgaea PC now, so I am one happy prinny right now, dood.

5. genoforprez says:

The port was an absolute mess when it first came out, but they have continued to patch it. Often times their patches fix one problem while introducing a brand new one, but they keep chugging away at it, so I give them props. It’s MUCH better now than when it first came out. I think they have learned a lot. I plan to pick up all their titles, so I hope they keep ’em coming!

6. AshRolls says:

What about Disgaea 5 though… am I silly in wanting to play the latest in the series on my PC?

• xShadowbane says:

It seems they are porting their games in the order they were originally released. First they did Disgaea, then Phantom Brave, and now Disgaea 2. Although, it would seem they skipped Makai Kingdom.

7. mercyRPG says:

I wanted good fights, but the start of the game was so asinine and kindergarden-grade crap, that I was forced to stop running around like an idiot on the first map and talking to NPC’s when nothing, no battle happened.. The style of the game was too idiotic and childish to me to take the world seriously.. :((

• Skandranon says:

I don’t think any game with an attack that features a little girl in a Barney Kaiju suit fighting toy airplanes as an attack ever wanted anyone to take it seriously.

8. int says:

The voice acting is amazing–though not original Resident Evil amazing.

9. Sonata966 says:

FINALLY! I’LL CAN SPEND HOURS AND HOURS PLAYING DISGAEA 2 PC, THIS MAKES ME AN NOSTALGIC FEELING. NOW I CAN EXPEND HOURS AND HOURS FARMING ITENS AND LEVELING UP THEM, ON ITEM WORLD! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH NIS! COME TO FAST JANUARY 2017!