Myst Me? Cyan Release Obduction

“Myst!” cry the history books. “The game that launch’d a thousand CD-ROM drives!” Though our own Walker the Contrarian might say, I imagine, that what’s best in life is “To crush your enemies, see them play Riven before you, to hear the lamentations of their comments.” But stuff the history books and stuff John, this is right here, right now, and today Myst developers Cyan launched their latest adventure game. Following a Kickstarter and several delays, Obduction [official site] is now out.

Obduction is not a direct sequel to Myst or nothing, mind. It starts fresh with some weird artifact falling from the skies then warping the protagonist away from Earth to a near-deserted alien planet littered with fragments of our own. Thanks, aliens. Always helpful. Keep up the good work.

From there, you obviously have mysteries to solve. It’s first-person explore-o-puzzling in the Myst fashion. Wander around, coo at pretty places, and cuss at (or delight in, I suppose) difficult puzzles. You know the score.

Cyan helped fund Obduction with a Kickstarter in 2013, drawing $1,321,306 in pledges.

Obduction is £23.99/29,99€/$29.99 on Steam and GOG. Cyberpeople with Rift cybergoggles can jack into it and all. Here’s the launch trailer:

From this site

1. G-Lord says:

A WIT by the RPS Myst fan John Walker would be appreciated ;).

Jokes aside, I backed the project and I really look forward to play it in VR.

• Knightley4 says:

Any ETA for VR mode? Steam doesn’t show Vive or Rift support right now.

• Doomsayer says:

“The VR (Rift) version of Obduction is coming soon. Sorry for the slight delay, but it needs a bit more optimizations and some UI polishing. The good news is that your code will also give you the full VR version. Everyone who gets the game will get the VR version. No questions asked, no hidden fees or handling charges. ;) We don’t have an exact ship date for it, yet. We’ve got an update already underway that we’ll be testing as a possible candidate for VR release. We’ll keep you updated on the VR progress.”

shoptroll says:

An RPS verdict with John and Richard Cobbett could be fun reading :)

• phlebas says:

Much as I enjoy the occasional one-sided pouncing, I’d be more interested in reading one by John (or Richard) and someone who disagreed with John.

2. Solidstate89 says:

I mean, I loved playing Myst when I was younger, but Riven is quite clearly the better game. Looks much better too.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

Riven is one of the best games ever made. I could sing its praises for hours.

shoptroll says:

Richard, also infamously, is not much of a fan of Myst either

shoptroll says:

Bah, should’ve referred to him as “Cobbett the Curmudgeon”. Stupid lack of an edit button.

4. Flatley says:

Looking forward to this. Tried really hard to like The Witness but I just got sick of the mazes before too long.

• draglikepull says:

The thing that’s so great about Myst is that the puzzles all essentially make sense as part of the world you’re in. You have to provide the right amount of electricity to power a machine, or you have to route flowing water to operate a machine, etc. (There are a lot of machines.) But The Witness is just abstract puzzles. They very rarely have any connection to the world they’re in at all. Myst is a space that you modify through the puzzles. The Witness could just as easily exist as a book of puzzles that you fill in with a pen while you ride the train.

• Flatley says:

I’m actually playing through Riven again (stuck currently) and there are few puzzles in that game which you’re going to solve without having an understanding of what’s going on in either the immediate area or, more likely, across the entire game world. Just because you can sometimes solve a Myst-series puzzle by random manipulations (common complaint) doesn’t mean that’s the intended way to solve them.

With The Witness, I get the sense that JB was trying to say something with his abstraction of the gameplay out to these arbitrary, disconnected puzzles, but that doesn’t make me enjoy it any more.

• Urthman says:

The Witness does so very many clever and delightful things that would be impossible to do with a mere book of maze puzzles. I love Cyan’s games and am really looking forward to Obduction, but for me, The Witness is in a whole different league of elegant, witty design. Just thinking back on some of the particularly artful ways the game introduced and then complicated new puzzle elements is more satisfying to me than most of the puzzles in Myst. And I really enjoyed quite a few of the puzzles in Myst.

• theslap says:

I agree. The Witness stands above any Myst game in my opinion. I’m not quite sure how the OP came to the conclusion that puzzles in The Witness are abstract have very little connection to the world they are in. Literally, the key to most puzzles is observing the world you are in!

• Flatley says:

A few puzzles integrate shadows or rock profiles or whatever. Fine. Doesn’t mean that a bunch of mazes blend seamlessly into the mechanisms of the world. Also doesn’t mean that the progression of maze difficulty has to drone on…and on…and on……….

• Faxmachinen says:

Don’t worry, Obduction is a far better game.

5. Sakkura says:

They delayed the VR version. That delay was announced… TODAY.

• Chaz says:

Good job I never pre-order stuff!

I have heard conflicting reports that VR support will either be free or be paid DLC like it was for Ethan Carter.

I know the Kickstarter backers will get VR for free but will the rest of us?

Aitrus says:

I’m 90% certain Cyan said a month or two ago that the VR version wouldn’t be available on release.

6. Shazbut says:

I think Myst-like games have evolved to the point where all the original criticisms are obsolete. This doesn’t look like pre-rendered images with sliding brick tiles and no story. It looks like fully 3D environmental puzzling and storytelling similar to The Witness.

7. brucethemoose says:

I love all these recent releases, but am I the only one who confused this with Valley and Ember?

link to rockpapershotgun.com

link to rockpapershotgun.com

Then you have NMS, Grow Up… bloody hell, why are all these beautiful nature games being released at once, I have responsibilities you know!

• brucethemoose says:

Well, Embers wasn’t released today, but still… they just had to announce it right now, didn’t they?

Benratha says:

Well it was worth checking Google to see if ‘Obduction’ was a real word. Turns out, yes it is (thanks Wikipedia):
    “the sideways and upwards movement of the edge of a crustal plate over the margin of an adjacent plate.”

Harlander says:

That’s how Myst starts too, isn’t it? Well, I mean, it’s not so weird, it’s a book, but those bodily teleporting you around is somewhat rare in my experience.

10. Admiral Aitchbar says:

Oooh that adapted Arnie quote tho, that’s the good stuff

11. DanMan says:

Supports HDR output and NV Ansel, btw. I’m really interested in the former, but not really into another puzzle game…. Aaarrrrr… decisions…. so many decisions…..