Best PC Gaming Deals Of The Week

We’re about two weeks removed from the madness that was the No Man’s Sky launch and we are about to head into the first weekend post-Deus Ex (and post first Deus Ex patch), so it sounds like a good time to look at some of the best deals of the past week, as tracked down by myself over at Jelly Deals. Let’s get on with it, shall we?

UK Deals

XCOM Enemy Unknown has been out for a few years now, but still stands tall as one of the best turn-based strategy games of the past decade or so. Some have even said that it holds greater replayability than its sequel. If you haven’t yet added a copy of this to your collection, now’s your chance, since GamesPlanet are selling ‘The Complete Edition’ of the game for £5.99 right now, which is around £19 cheaper than buying it from Steam right now.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown – The Complete Edition for £5.99 from GamesPlanet

Before Yager was known for making (and then not making) Dead Island 2, they made Spec Ops: The Line. This game was kind of their own adaptation of Joseph Conrad’s novel Heart of Darkness, and confronted players with some challenging situations. It’s not exactly a fun game, as Alec’s review explained, but since it’s only £3.99 over at GamesPlanet right now (a full £16 cheaper than on Steam currently) I’d recommend picking up a copy and seeing the nightmare for yourself.

Spec Ops: The Line on PC for £3.99 at GamesPlanet

The game that just will not go down without a fight, Valkyria Chronicles, saw a release on PC in 2014, way ahead of its eventual remastered PS4 edition. The turn-based JRPG takes place in a fictitious continent of Europa during what appears to be an alternate 1930s. There’s a reason this one has been kicking around since the PS2 days. While it’s £14.99 currently on Steam, you can pick up a copy for £3.99 over at GamesPlanet.

Valkyria Chronicles on PC for £3.99 from GamesPlanet

Over at Green Man Gaming, they’re offering “HITMAN – The Full Experience” for £31.99 at the moment. While that particular choice of naming convention makes it sound a little bit like you’re paying for a lovely romantic evening in the company of Mr. 47 himself, what you’ll get for your money here is the entire first season of the this year’s episodic Hitman game. If not swayed already, feel free to read Adam’s thoughts on episode one.

HITMAN – The Full Experience for £31.99 from Green Man Gaming

US Deals

If you’ve ever felt the need to own a replica nuclear warhead (albeit a miniature one) and quite like the Fallout games, this one is for you. The Fallout Anthology houses all the games in the Fallout series (minus Fallout 4) in a mini-nuke casing. You’ll get a Fallout 4 branded empty box to put your copy of that game in, too, if you like. GameStop are selling it for an all-time low of $29.99 right now.

Fallout Anthology for $29.99 at GameStop US

This year sees the release of Sid Meier’s latest entry into the “oh my god I’ve been here for six hours” inducing Civilization franchise. While we all wait for Civ VI to make its way onto Steam, you can make the time fly past by picking up this copy of Civ V: The Complete Edition, which is currently reduced to $12.50. If you buy it today, you may emerge sometime around October.

Civilization V: The Complete Edition for $12.50 at GameStop US

If you haven’t yet got a controller to use on your setup, and you’re one of the types that likes to use controllers on PC games, Amazon have a fairly good offer going on. For $37.99, you can pick up an Xbox One controller along with the USB to make it work on PC. It’s not quite wireless (a wireless version of this bundle is currently double this price) but it also won’t break the bank.

Xbox One Controller and Cable for $37.99 at Amazon US

Or hey, maybe you’re a mouse and keyboard kind of person and you just won’t be told otherwise. That’s alright, too. Best Buy has currently slashed the price of this Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse in half, cutting it down to $39.99, which isn’t bad.

Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse for $39.99 at Best Buy

Okay, that’s all for another week. If you’ve found a deal that you think we’ve missed, go ahead and post it in the comments below.

As usual, please keep in mind that deals, prices and availability can change at any time, so sorry if that happens on any of the above. I’ll be over at Jelly Deals, scouring the information super-highway for more deals, but feel free to drop us a like on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I don’t have a lot to say about this but I’m reserving this here 1st commenter spot for Raoul Duke.

Over to you Raoul ;)

2. TillEulenspiegel says:

I just recently started playing Valkyria Chronicles after buying it for like $10 a year ago. Nobody told me that it was basically just watching an anime, interspersed with occasional combat puzzles.

It gets slightly more interesting after a while, but man those endless cutscenes. Games like Fire Emblem are way better IMO, tho sadly not available on PC.

• Steravel says:

Oh, I enjoyed the combat in VC, but I know what you mean about the interminable anime cutscenes. I know they were pretty and all that, and it makes me a horrible person, but I just started skipping them. Unfortunately, instead of simply speeding up the dialogue, it ended up eliminating the story wholesale for me. There isn’t any middle of the road option.

If you don’t have a lot of tolerance for the typical off-speed jabbering in translated anime, it may not be the game for you. Which is a shame, because it’s a great game and beautifully rendered in most other respects.

3. tonicer says:

Lol an xbox controller what is this? /r/pcgaming ? I thought this site was for PC gaming not multiplatform crap.

• Riaktion says:

You’re kidding right? Yeah… you must be kidding… right?

• dangermouse76 says:

Loud noises!

• Jay Load says:

Real Gamers use every tool available to them. Take thy snobbery elsewhere, base villain.

• RaoulDuke says:

I got a Razer Chroma TE in March [RMA, so I didn’t pay anything] and I’ve used it for a grand total of TWO games since then, DOOM and an tiny indie game I can’t even remember.

My DualShock 4 is the main connection between games and me nowadays, if this new PC DS4 “dongle” brings more support in games [ie – PS button prompts instead of XB, Squeenix are good at that for all their bullshit] then I will probably be using the KB&M even less.

I’m a bit sad about it, sure, not having that amazing control/speed in the “looking/aiming” part of the game but then again I’ve used a DS1+DS2+DS3 from 1995-2016 so its a landslide rather than a conversion.

• Solidstate89 says:

You seem like the kind of boy who enjoys the smell of their own farts.

• ButteringSundays says:

There’s always one.

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re a troll; even if my experience on the Steam forums tells me otherwise (why are there so many people trying to play driving games with a keyboard? Why do they hate themselves so much?)

To add my usual response:

REAL pc gamers use punchcards.

4. CMaster says:

I’ve got the G602.

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. The thumb buttons are too numerous to be easily used, and too spiky to be comfortable. And I’m not sure what buttons 9 and 10 are even good for.

5. Wulfram says:

Alpha Protocol for £2.49 seems a pretty good deal

link to bundlestars.com

Vandelay says:

Is £31.99 for Hit man a good deal? That sounds like the amount you would spend at release.

Of course, the game is not entirely released yet. Is that part of the reason why they use episodic release, so they can keep the price up until all episodes are out?

• Karyogon says:

Despite the question marks surrounding this model when it was released, I think IO have pulled (are pulling?) it off nicely, despite not having played the game yet (wait don’t strangle me yet). I love Hitman series to death, except maybe, you know, that one game, and I’ll pick it up soon (must.. discipline.. large.. backlog.. buckling).

Seems like people are having more fun with each individual mission/sandbox, playing it over the course of several months instead of finishing it and forgetting about it, and a more constant trickle of reviews probably doesn’t hurt their sales. As for your question, videogames are easily among the most rewarding and “cheapest” media in existence if you were to calculate moneys spent divided by hours of enjoyment so it depends how much you like Hitman and/or immersive sims I guess.

7. invitro says:

One great gaming deal: Obduction is $30 on Steam. It has gotten amazing reviews: 88 GR and 86 MC, but you probably already knew that if you read any other gaming website.

8. SBLux says:

Those aliens look very angry

cheesysmell says:

Cables? Dongles? If you’re getting a controller, either get the new Xbone controller or a DS4, both of which work over Bluetooth.

10. AngoraFish says:

I got all the way to the end of the article without finding a single deal that hasn’t already been either the same price, or in some cases substantially cheaper, many times before. Leaving me to wonder, what exactly is the point? Is this just an advertising feature to generate reseller clicks? In which case it should be disclosed as such at the top of the article.

• PenguinJim says:

Agreed, these are poor deals, but if RPS has to run a regular feature like this, they don’t have much choice. They set a point every week, see what “good” deals they can find at that hour, and share them. It’s the setup that’s the problem, not the author nor the cash-grabbing affiliate links.

The best deals can happen at any time. But it’s tricky to have a writer commissioned to keep an eye out for good deals, posting them ad-hoc. I wonder if RPS would be better off abandoning this “feature”, and just linking to Reddit Gamedeals somewhere on the front page. But then, of course, they’d lose their affiliate monies. ;)

Still, if they’re going to continue this feature, I hope they can get a better writer. This one implied the PS4 version of Valkyria Chronicles is a remaster of the PC version (or at least an actual “remaster” as opposed to a port), while it actually looks and plays worse than the PC version. And it was a PS3 game, not a PS2 game.

And the Fallout Anthology isn’t just missing Fallout 4, but also Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (and Fallout Shelter, if you want to be super-picky!).

It’s also the first time I’ve ever seen a wired controller described as “not quite wireless”! So I wonder if perhaps a minimum word-count is harming these articles, as well as the restrictive timing.

• April March says:

You make some fair points, but it’s very doubtful that describing a wired controller as “not quite wireless” is due to a wordcount thing – that’s a very RPS-y* turn of phrase.

*pronounced as it is written

Comment on this story