The Floor Is Deadly: Hot Lava

Everyone here has played the game where you jump from one piece of furniture to another because the floor has inexplicably become deadly, right? In the version I played growing up, couch cushions could be thrown across the room to make stepping stones, and there would usually be an argument as to whether standing on a pair of slippers that had been left lying on the floor was allowed (if you could stand on them and be safe, couldn’t you just wear them and be invincible?).

Klei, masters of many genres, are working on a game that takes childhood make-believe onto your computer. In first-person parkour game Hot Lava [official site], the floor is deadly.

There are some outlandish environments in that trailer. I immediately feel that my preference will be for the houses and schools, places in which the game would actually be played rather than enormous, extravagant versions that actually look like they might conceivably be filled with lava and acrobatic heroics. Progression is a good thing though, and I doubt I’d want to hop around a bedroom for days on end. Klei’s description of the game suggests that there will be context for the larger levels:

Hot Lava transports you back to your childhood imagination. Relive those moments of excitement, joy and chaos. Traverse distinct worlds, from school hallways to the memories of your darkest fears. This is a game of dexterity and ingenuity, you will have to use all your skills to complete the treacherous obstacles that await.

Hot Lava isn’t a Klei original. Mark Laprairie, who is employed at Klei, had been working on the game for some time when the studio purchased it, took it on board and added their own visual flair.

The concept instantly reminded of Cult of The Wind, the game in which you play as a person pretending to be a plane and have dogfights with your chums. What other childhood games of make-believe would make for good entertainment? I’d go for a hide and seek game with a neat twist, provided it didn’t turn into Five Nights at Freddy’s.

As well as playing with your childhood, Klei are working on a colony simulator called Oxygen Not Included, a title which suggests things will go very well indeed for your colonists. Beta sign-ups for Hot Lava are open now. I’m going to spend the rest of the day rolling around the house in my wheely chair – the ultimate ability in this greatest of games.

From this site

1. Chaz says:

“Cult of The Wind” Has someone recently just gone around giving names to all these childhood games? That’s certainly the first time I’ve heard playing aeroplanes called that.

“I say chaps any of you muckers fancy a round of Cult of the Wind?”
    “Oh rather!”
    “Spiffing idea what!”
    “Top fun!”
    “Tally ho! I’m going to be a Spitfire!”

This has never happened.

2. Technotica says:

I like “The game where you tie a friend to a tree and then start shooting arrows at him because he is a dirty cowboy” also called “Captive Cowboy Target Practice” some people liked to play “The game where you kick other people in the shin or push them over to get a ball across a field and into a box with a net”, most people called it “Shoot Ball into Box” though.

• SBLux says:

You are surely referring to Foot-To-Ball?

• Technotica says:

Absolutely not! That’s that hoity toity game that is only played on that one island that once was a great empire but now is slowly twisting itself apart also called “Somewhat Big Isle of Several Kingdoms” right?

Herzog says:

Very skeptical since I rage uninstalled Mirror’s Edge only recently after giving it another try. Looking forward to reviews.

4. meepmeep says:

Is there a PvP mode where one player has some dog poo on a stick?

• Kefren says:

Ah, the classic UK school game of “real poo sticks”.

• RaoulDuke says:

This sentence makes me proud to be British, I am sad we now live in a society where this is probably banned from playgrounds because “poo is dangerous” or some such bull-puckery.

Wally – “If the children clash, the stick could pierce the skin and the poo could cause an infection!”

My response – “They just need to run faster, or else they’ll get ‘pooed’! Its a life lesson – poo = not good”

• TechnicalBen says:

Real poo is extremely dangerous if found in a park. It will be from an animal, and have parasites in it so bad, you’d not even Google the names for risk of the pictures.

I’m not kidding. Keep away from that stuff.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The Vietcong put poo on the spears in their traps to give enemies staph infections.

Harlander says:

I do enjoy how difficult it is to predict what Klei are going to work on next.

6. Turkey says:

Would probably dismiss this as another pewdiepie game if Klei wasn’t behind it.

7. Pazguato says:

Me too

8. tigerfort says:

Standing on the slippers seems fine to me. Obviously you couldn’t wear them, they must be made of rock (or maybe titanium or something) or they’d melt. They’ll be much too heavy to actually use as footware.
    I suppose perhaps you could walk v e r y s l o w l y in them, but that might give other players ideas about tipping you over while you’re in mid-stride…

9. genoforprez says:

I recommend checking out “Marvin’s Mittens” ($5.99 on steam) for a game that does a pretty good job of capturing the magic of being a child outdoors in winter. =]

10. Sin Vega says:

You missed out on using “This floor of mine”. I’m putting you on report.

• SingularityParadigm says:

That seems like something Alice or Pip would have said, not Adam.

particlese says:

I used to walk around the house looking down into a mirror, walking over doorways and otherwise trying to get around without falling onto and through the ceiling. Staircases were pretty intimidating, but we had banisters.

particlese says:

Also, thanks for the news of Hot Lava. Gonna be keeping my eyes peeled for this one.

12. killingbutterflies says:

Looks very like that Prince of Persia game with the interesting art style and scarves. Which is good as that was good. Good.