Witcher 3 Game Of The Year Edition Brings New Patch

“Wait for the Game of the Year Edition,” they tell you, tapping their nose conspiratorially. “Never pay a milliner – you can restore your hat by felting your navel fluff,” they hiss. “And remember to hang fennel above your door to ward off witches.”

I’m not sure how useful the GotY tip is now, given that games and their DLC season passes go on sale every other week, but I know some of you still believe. If you have been waiting for a GotY Edition before playing The Witcher 3 [official site], then I bring good news: that’s out today. For the rest of us, hey, a new patch is here too.

The Witcher 3’s Game of the Year Edition contains, as these things will, The Witcher 3 plus its two ace expansions and all those little bits of DLC. It was a great game then and it’s a great game now. No, us being all about Rocket League last year doesn’t mean I can’t say The Witcher 3 earned all those ‘game of the year’ plaudits.

The Witcher 3 GotY is £34.99/49,99€/$49.99 on Steam and GOG. You can also buy the GotY Edition in a ‘box’, which I believe is a type of console, from a place called a ‘games shop’, which I understand is a punishment zone for teenagers.

Launching alongside all this is Update 1.30. Changes including fixes for uncompletable quests, new controller prompt icons for PlayStation controllers, and a proper swanky new look for Vimme Vivaldi. Check out the changelog for the full scoop.

From this site

1. Pich says:

i thought all gaming publications were legally bound to only use this image of Geralt for their header link to imgur.com

• RedViv says:

Alas, we need to break with tradition as a stern reminder for the PC Gamer crowd whenever they so heretically declare that Outcast is in any other place than the 57th best of all time.
      Tis serious business, friends.

2. HeavyStorm says:

Last two issues of Witcher I got goty “for free”.

I have a season pass but haven’t received any communication stating that my copy is a GOTY copy.

• Cyrus says:

I just bought the goty and only seems to be the base game plus expansion pass, really. Thus it is not more advanced than that.
      You already own it so to speak.

Here I was hoping it would be named goty edition in my library, like New Vegas but nooooo.

Although the Batman games have their goty labeled on them, Borderlands for instance do not. So its both ways I guess.

Worth mentioning I never buy anything at a full price on Steam.
      This Witcher is the exception. Kudos the devs me thinks, also bought it on GoG earlier to ensure the money lands in their pockets.

• LTK says:

In the past they’ve released Enhanced Editions, not really GOTY editions, for free to owners of the original games, because TW1 and 2 could really benefit from some additional spit and polish. If they were going to make an Enhanced Edition of TW3 – which I doubt – it wouldn’t be the same as a GOTY edition, which is really another name for “game plus all DLC and expansions”.

• laiwm says:

I took the huge patch which fixed movement and horses to be the enhanced edition for this one – improved the game massively.

• Booker says:

Do you expect them to come over to your house to install it for you as well?

3. Metalfish says:

Hah, I was one of those waity people. Gaze, ye mighty, upon my patience, momentarily protruding your lower lip with a shrug (and despair)!

• ButteringSundays says:

Now we just have to wait until it’s on sale for the journey to be complete.

4. Biggus_Dikkus says:

Who`s Cobbo?

5. cheekibreeki says:

As someone who never played any of the Witcher games, knows very little about the books/general universe either (yeah, can you believe it..) and has been eyeing with the franchise for long now: would Witcher 3 work as a stand-alone game/entry point to the universe or would I be completely lost? (Or alternatively: How far would you advice to “go back”?)

Thanks alot!

• MrRoivas says:

I’d say that it works at least okay as a standalone game. While I played all three in order, I’ve read the reviews and experiences of those who didn’t cotton to the first two and loved the third one, so it seems the game does a decent job of introducing its world and characters to new comers.

• Jenuall says:

I owned but barely played the first two games (about an hour in TW1, maybe 4-5 in TW2) but would say that TW3 is without doubt the best game I have played for 5+ years.

I’m sure having read the books and finished the others may have added a bit to the experience, but I absolutely did not feel at a disadvantage having so little knowledge of it going in.

phuzz says:

I agree with all of this.
        I also played the first two for a few hours each, but they never clicked for me. W3 has definitely clicked and I’m loving it (only picked it up last month).
        The game does keep introducing you to characters that Geralt has met in the last two games, and you’ll just have to guess who they are, but there is a character biography section which fills in the blanks, if not answering all questions (eg “is there a sorceress in the entire world that Geralt hasn’t had sex with?”).

Just dive in and start playing, you’ll pick it up.

• Jokerme says:

I finished both W1 and W2 and all I remember is in W1 you become best buddies with the king of Temeria (one of the countries), in W2 someone starts killing kings including king of Temeria and Witcher becomes the scapegoat. I have no idea what else happened and who else was in there.

Either I have a really bad memory or first two games have forgettable main story-lines. Yes they are fun to play, but not exactly memorable.

Oh, and the Witcher hooks up with lots of women. I remember that. Just go for 3. You don’t have to force yourself to play first two.

gritz says:

Play 3. There’s a lot of backstory, but it does a fair enough job of both explaining the basics and letting you fill in the rest. It’s also by far the best game in the series.

If after 65+ hours you finish it and still want more, play 2. It’s a little harder to follow because it leans much more on regional politics, but still tells some compelling personal stories. It’s a great game in its own right, and still utterly gorgeous.

Finally, if you still aren’t sated, go back and play 1. It’s not pretty, and it’s a lot closer to a classic clunky CRPG fighting than the slick modern action of 2 & 3. It’s also got some embarrassing sex card stuff. But the story and setting are still top-notch, and it nails “Choice and Consequence” better than any of its contemporaries could have hoped for.

Then maybe read the books? I dunno.

• AnalogKid says:

I registered just to ask this: Any decent english translation of the books available? Last time I checked (a few years ago) there were not.

• SableKeech says:

Audible has EXCELLENT versions – the narrator is fantastic! Sub with them for a free book and give it a go :)

• ACE454 says:

Also check out the fan translations on the CDPR forums.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

and it’s a lot closer to a classic clunky CRPG fighting

It’s really not, at all. It’s just a *bad* action RPG. Unless you were thinking of something like Daggerfall, which would be a fair comparison.

gritz says:

There’s really not much like it. I call it “classic CRPG” because it feels like it comes from a time when we were all still trying to figure out how actiony fighting should work in a CRPG.

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, play 3. It’s wonderful, and fine as a standalone game.

I played 1 and 2, and don’t feel they’re essential unless you get sucked into that world deep enough, and in that case you can read the books. The previous games were okay, but Witcher 3 is a masterpiece. I get the feeling it’s what CDPR were aiming for all this time while learning how to build games, and they really pulled it off.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Dive straight into 3, it’s no bother. Just be aware there are characters and storyline the game acts as if you should know, but I had Jo clue what they were going on about despite playing the first 2. Maybe the books would have filled the gap, but it’s more that they want it to feel like a real world and Gerald is a character with real history.

Aitrus says:

Guy who only played Witcher 3, here. The game does a fine job of giving you an idea of your relationships to other characters and filling in whatever backstory you need. The main plot is very standalone. I don’t know if the Wild Hunt is talked about/encountered in previous games but it doesn’t feel like the 3rd act of a story or anything.

• Czrly says:

There’s very little “continuity” between games in the series so number 3 is fine to play on its own, never having seen the others.

Personally, I think the series is poorer because of the lack of continuity. In 1, for example, I made a lot of choices regarding my political allegiances (not going to spoil things by explaining) and those were basically turfed by 2, although 2 gave me a chance to return to my old allies in the end. That political group or faction hardly even existed in 3. I met them exactly once and saw one or two scribbled notes supposedly scribbled by members but that was all – the game lost a lot because of this and my verdict for 3 is “it’s ok – worth recommending but hardly brilliant”

• cheekibreeki says:

To all of you: thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences! I really appreciate it.

• Slazer says:

I think the books will aid you much more than the previous games to understand the story. W1 and 2 had finished storylines with the baddies either dead or not very inportant anymore, so there is few things that get picked up again.

Most of the main characters from W3 (Yen, Ciri, Dijkstra, Wild Hunt guys, everybody in Toussaint…) do not appear in earlier games but are main characters of the book series.

I have read books in German and while I prefer it to English as it is a little closer to the Polish origin, the English audiobooks on audible are really enjoyable and I cannot recommend enough. I think I have listened to each one at least 3 times in the last 12 months.

• lglethal says:

A quick question Slazer – I haven’t had time to get into W3 yet, but I do have an Audible subscription and some spare vouchers for Audible. Would you recommend reading the books BEFORE you’ve played W3? Or wait until after?

• ACE454 says:

I am on my 4th read through of the book series and I say definitely read the books first. The Witcher 3 takes place after the book series, but it does an excellent job, more than the other 2 games, of subtle hints and nods to the book series. There are lots of things in The Witcher 3 that you will not get if you haven’t read the books. Also you get to know the characters much better.

6. Talahar says:

I’m still waiting for a computer that can actually run this fine piece of software, so even with the GOTY there’s still some waitin’ to be done.

7. GallonOfAlan says:

3 is the first one I’ve played – the lack of open-world put me off the previous two.

It’s superb – although I’m playing it on PS4 and there are some truly epic 60 second plus savegame load times. So much so that I knocked the difficulty down to ‘shandyman’ so I didn’t spend an hour waiting for reloads at every boss fight.

• JohnD says:

> “I’m playing it on PS4 and there are some truly epic 60 second plus savegame load times.”

Less than 10 seconds on my PC with an SSD. You should really consider to replace that ancient console technology.

8. April March says:

That header picture is my favourite Civilization leader screen.