PlayStation Now Is Available Now On PC In UK And US

PlayStation is out now in the UK and US (and Belgium and the Netherlands). The subscription service, which lets you play old PlayStation 3 games by streaming them to PC, costs £13/$20 a month. When it was announced that the service was coming to PC last week we ran a list of our favourite games from the 400 available through the service, but now they’ve added six more including the excellent Studio Ghibli-animated Ni No Kuni.

Three of the games newly added were already available on PC, but Ni No Kuni, Heavy Rain and Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution were previously only on console. Now you can stream them to your computer.

If you’re interested in trying the service, there’s a seven-day free trial. Given that it’s only possible to play the games by streaming them, and not downloading and installing, it’s probably worth giving it a try before you subscribe in case your internet connection isn’t fast enough to play the games without lag. The DualShock 4 is the only officially supported controller but “some third party controllers” may work with XInput, say Sony.

Are these available PlayStation 3 games now therefore PC games? Should we be writing retrospectives about Ico? Is this an excuse to go play more Ni No Kuni during work hours? PC gaming is a big tent and I tend to think we should welcome everything we can get our hands on, but it’s also a bit… strange. I spent a long time working on print magazines divided by games platform and the biggest difference was that the console magazines used more exclamation marks. I hate exclamation marks. Hate them!

Oh no.

From this site

1. Eight Rooks says:

Hmm, Ni No Kuni? Really? I tried it (when I had a PS3) and couldn’t stand it. I thought it felt like some dreary Z-list knockoff of what a Ghibli story is supposed to be (“Well, we need a dead mother, and a fantasy world which may or may not be real, and a wacky sidekick, and…”) with none of the wit, artistry or soul. The actual game didn’t strike me as much to smile about either. Everything Level 5 do is tremendously polished, I’ll give them that – they know how to spend their money – but none of it ever seems to have much spark.

• ran93r says:

I approached it less like a Ghibli and more like any other carbon clone JRPG and it was passable but with a little more charm than usual. The combat AI on the other hand.. shite.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The combat is so dreadful that I couldn’t even make it through the demo.

• PancakeWizard says:

It’s a great idea, but damn that price.

PS. Ni No Kuni is great! It’s Ghibli with Pokemon and hilariously good localisation. You haven’t lived until you’ve seen an entire village of Welsh fairy comedians.

2. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

“You’ll also need a DualShock 4 in order to play.”

…Bugger. That’s what I feared. I’m interested in the service, but mainly for The Last of Us and Journey and I’m not sure that the 55 euros that a DS4 costs (or 35ish I see on amazon for an used one) are a sound investment. Don’t get me wrong, I use pads on my PC all the time, I just prefer the Xbox style and the DS4 would end up on a shelf after a week. I might borrow a friend’s Dual Shock 3 if it works.

• Andelect says:

You can play with an Xbox one controller. I’ve been playing the Last of Us with one.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Thanks, good to know! Also, I dedicate the previous exclamation mark to Graham for providing slightly less than perfectly accurate information that barely came close to being an insignificant inconvenience! He can have this one too.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

I’ve been playing it with a 360 controller, the only thing I can’t do is whack my torch if it starts blinking but I think that resets to normal if you die or there’s a cut scene.

• Shazbut says:

I completed Journey yesterday with an Xbox controller. It works fine.

Although, right at a pivotal moment, my internet connection gave out and the game closed. It could not have been more at that pivotal moment.

3. InfectedCat says:

Would an XBOX 360 Controller work instead of a DualShock?

• GenialityOfEvil says:

Yes, provided the game doesn’t require sixaxis support.

4. Ooops says:

Belgium hosts the capital of Europe. UK will soon just be a little country on its own. Please get Belgium out of those parentheses and replace it with UK.

KIDDING, KIDDING. I’m just not over the grief of seeing us apart. :-(

5. welverin says:

Hey, Graham, I got something for you: !

6. Hedgeclipper says:

I’ve nothing against consoles as such, but if you’re going to start covering PS3 games on the basis of a streaming service logically you should also cover software for Android and all the other OS’s you can emulate on a PC as well given they’re actually being run on the PC and not streamed from somewhere else.

• Moraven says:

2-3 articles covering the announcement and launch is a far cry from them covering individual games.

Announcement
      Top 10 list
      Launch in EU, USA.

• Hedgeclipper says:

You didn’t read the last paragraph of the article? I’m not complaining just responding to questions posed.

7. Freud says:

I would imagine input lag is noticeable but I guess for some slower games it won’t be that much of a problem.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

The frame rate in a lot of games is barely able to hold 30 fps, and the resolution makes every game look like it’s from 2002. I haven’t noticed any input lag but then I’m not used to controllers, so it feels like playing with a mouse in a dish of Vaseline.

8. WhatKateDoes says:

You can use a PS3 controller, albeit it’s a faff. Xbox360 controller is fine unless the game requires motion-detection. (Beyond: Two Souls)

Totally worth it tho to experience the following (amongst others):

The Last of Us
    Beyond: Two Souls
    Hard Rain
    ..and most especially: Journey.

9. Drew says:

Am I being a huge idiot because I don’t see Ni No Kuni on the interface at all? I’ve been waiting for it to be added before I took a look at PSNow.

10. Incompleteness says:

There is a string attached, your trial subscription will automatically be upgraded into a payed subscription if you don’t unsubscribe in 7 days.