Zoe Quinn’s FMV Chuck Tingle Dating Sim

I’m finally catching up on the news of the FMV Chuck Tingle dating game that Zoe Quinn’s been working on (I did that thing of saving it to read later and apparently that’s not a system which works – on the bright side I’ve also just learned about a woman with an extra type of colour receptor in her eyes and a chatbot that’s trying to help tackle homelessness).

I cannot for the life of me remember why I know about erotica author Chuck Tingle [THIS LINK IS NSFW] except perhaps just that the ambient internet will send you to his Amazon page eventually. He’s the author of such works as “Pounded In The Butt By My Own Butt” and “Gay T-Rex Law Firm: Executive Boner” and with glorious cover art. “Feeling The Bern In My Butt” features a topless hunk standing thoughtfully in front of a unicorn version of Bernie Sanders (he’s called Bernie Sambers in the book).

The Chuck Tingle dating game that Quinn is working on is a full motion video dating simulator based on the ideas the mysterious Tingle provided and thus you can expect a cast including hot guys in small pants and unicorn heads.

There’s a short Vice documentary which I’ve embedded above that follows Quinn to some of the shoots for the game. It gives you a better idea for the project – it’s looking like a surreal erotic comedy tribute to FMV. The documentary also touches on the effects and complications Gamergate has forced into Quinn’s work which have, in turn, affected development of the game.

The working title is Project Tingler but they’re working on a real title. I’m wondering if they’ll end up going full Tingle and it’ll be something like “Pounded In The Butt By The FMV Realisation Of Some Of The Concepts And Characters Exemplified In My Series Of Ebooks Titled Pounded In The Butt By My Own Whatever It Was”. Might be a pain to fit on headlines though.

Anyhoodle! The other thing explained in the documentary and in Quinn’s accompanying blog post is that Project Tingler is also helping Quinn and her team prototype the technology for a different FMV game called Failstate. There’s not much info about that one yet, just that it’s “An FMV love letter to passionate failure and all things camp”.

She adds:

“This is my next big game folks, and we’re already butt deep in development. There might already be ARG bits of the game out there in the universe somewhere right under all of your noses??? Maybe some of it ties into The Tingler????? So many questions that all definitely have answers. Good luck finding them, punks.”

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Oakreef says:

Oh no I’ve just bookmarked the two articles you linked in your first paragraph to read for later. They horribly cycle of delayed reading continues!

Oakreef says:

Also hell yes Chuck Tingle FMV dating sim.

Oakreef says:

“They horribly cycle”?

Jesus Christ people should stop allowing me near keyboards. Especially on sites that don’t have an edit button. This should have of course been “the horrible cycle”.

• baseless_drivel says:

If you’re interested in the tetrachromat stuff, I first heard about it via a MILF artist named Concetta Antico, who claims to be the world’s only confirmed tetrachromat artist. No idea if she’s perhaps the woman in the study, but for what it’s worth, the person who “discovered” her ability is one of the docs mentioned in the article (Jay Neitz).

I suppose she could just be running with it to give herself a marketing edge, but her paintings do have a bit of that radiant “Gogh Glow” to them*, although there’s really no way of telling if it’s really how she sees things.

* I am not a painter.

• Babymech says:

I don’t understand why you needed to tell us she was a MILF.

• identiti_crisis says:

So would tetrachromats be under-stimulated due to living in an RGB world?

• identiti_crisis says:

Just read the article; it’s suggesting this exact issue seems to be partly to blame for tetrachromacy being hard to “detect”.

• Rizlar says:

The phenomenon is interesting but that article is pretty awful. It seems like the extra cone allows someone to distinguish smaller variations but not a wider range within the light spectrum, or colours noone has a name for. As shown in the experiment that revealed it’s existence, it required extremely dark conditions and tiny variations.

The idea that an artist with four cones would be observably different to one with three, or that the processes in which we use colour are somehow limited to exclude the extra cones sounds like utter bollocks.

• identiti_crisis says:

Well the idea of a “wider range” and “within the light spectrum” are contradictory. The “light spectrum” is the range; specifically the visible range of EM radiation.

She only got tested because other people thought her work was the result of tetrachromacy. She also spent a lot of time growing up looking at and, crucially, analysing the world in full-colour, as opposed to prints or other artificial reproductions, such as film, TV and computer screens, which are all trichromatic “illusions”. See her wiki page for links to interviews etc. link to en.wikipedia.org

If you never get to exercise it, how do you know you have it? And if you have it, it’s not much use if you don’t train it.
            As an example, I have improved my spatial reckoning of audio cues probably by an order of magnitude, just by paying attention to it. I can now locate birds singing in trees much quicker, for instance; a friend was always better than me at it, but he spent more time outdoors than I. I also find my subconscious deals with sound reflections better now, possibly by integrating my accumulated knowledge of the environment from other senses.

• Rizlar says:

“The “light spectrum” is the range; specifically the visible range of EM radiation.”

Exactly, afaik tetrachromats cannot see infrared or ultraviolet colours, it’s the same range as people with three cones. When the article says she can see ’99 million colours more than the rest of us’, it doesn’t actually mean 99 million crazy hues we have no words for, just finer definition within the range that everyone can see.

What you say about learning to distinguish more detail in nature is cool, but it’s not something you can do cos you have a third eardrum or something. Everyone can learn to refine senses, perceive colour. The commenter above mentions a ‘Gogh glow’ in Antico’s paintings and old Vince couldn’t possibly have had a fourth cone as he was a man.

Obviously someone with a fourth cone can make finer distinctions than those with three, that’s what the experiment shows. But look at the conditions under which the experiment had to take place. In everyday, practical terms it probably isn’t going to make much difference. To quote a wonky sentence from the article:

“But the bigger issue that Jordan thinks most true tetrachromats would never need to use their fourth cone cell type, and so would never realise they had special vision.”

Also Antico’s paintings are really not good.

• KDR_11k says:

The thing with the spectrum is that it’s not just three points like our computer screens are. Our eyes have three cones for different areas of the spectrum and groups them as red, green and blue but each of those colors is an aggregation of a large chunk of spectrum. If you look at spectral analysis images you can see what the actual spectrum looks like, lots of different wavelengths that our eye mashes together. A tetrachromat has a fourth cone that detects a part of the spectrum that overlaps with other cone areas but is not identical with them. So if the fourth color was e.g. yellow then a tetrachromat could distinguish a yellow created by projecting red and green wavelengths and a yellow that is in the actual yellow wavelength of the spectrum.

• GWOP says:

Tetrachromacy? Try Dodecahchromacy!

Lakshmi says:

Even if you don’t read Chuck Tingle’s work he’s worth following for his antics. Whoever they are – since it’s a pseudonym – they’re very funny on twitter etc.

3. frightlever says:

Chuck Tingle was a recent Hugo SF Award nominee, due to Rabid/Sad Puppies manipulation – two groups linked to Gamersgate. Chuck himself has distanced himself (or herself, which would be ironic) from them.

4. SomeDuder says:

Also, a fantastic critic of the current US election insanity, well worth to keep up on Tingle’s comments!

5. geecen says:

Best Tingle title: Handsome Sentient Food Pounds My Butt And Turns Me Gay: Eight Tales Of Hot Food

6. fiasco says:

When I heard about this I kinda hoped Robert Yang would also get involved – you know: the guy who made a game about bringing a gay car to orgasm.

7. Babymech says:

So we’re just doing memes now?

gritz says:

Pounded in the Butt By My Expectations for Content

• PancakeWizard says:

It’s Quinn, it’s never going to be actual game development, is it?

Grizzly says:

Off course it isn’t! That’s why it’s so lovely!

Jekadu says:

In what way is this not a real game, though?

• GWOP says:

Were the genres of text-based adventures, point and click adventures and FMV games to have spawned today, a very vocal and narrow-minded portion of gamers would have refused to label them as proper, ‘core’, capital-G games.

Grizzly says:

It is, actually, but I am operating on the assumption that Pancake is using a limited definition. I just mentally replaced “Actual game development” with “Publisher-based game development” like your Destinies and Dishonoureds and your Call of Duties and your Battlefields and all that stuff. The “Games as a product” approach as opposed to the “Games as an art” approach. It leads to a lot of fun stuff, but it has it’s trappings. It’s a culture that celebrates “crunchtime”, or the 80-hour work week, for instance.
            Quinn’s stuff is weird. It’s weird for the sake of being weird and it owes up to that. Which is great! It’s different!

If I misread that and Pancake simply means that this is not development that will lead to an actual game then, Pancake, you are just wrong.

• pepperfez says:

Except Night Trap. Now that was a real Core Game for Gamers.

8. identiti_crisis says:

Depression Quest changed my life; or rather it helped me learn how to change my life. I didn’t know about the whole “Gamergate” thing, though; how vile.

I wish the best of luck to all involved, and not just because they’ve helped me.

I don’t think I’m quite brave enough to check out any of the Chuck Tingle stuff, but they look like they’re having fun!

Jekadu says:

Same. My depression hasn’t gotten better, but the game taught me what to look out for, and made me focus on managing it actively.

I hope she will always be able to make the weird, funny stuff she enjoys making so much. DQ was a watershed moment in indie development history, but I’d rather it didn’t end up defining her career when she has so much to give.

• Monggerel says:

Yeah, Depression Quest was a tableturner for me too.
      It made me realise that nobody will ever help with my issues, that even the people who suffer depression like myself have no insight into my brainscape, and that I won’t be able to get over depression with self-reflection.

This was helpful in a sense, because the ensuing wave of despair aside, it allowed me to come to the conclusion that my depression is an outside-context problem requiring outside-context solutions. Since I no longer (kuwabara kuwabara) consider myself depressed or miserable, I must conclude that Depression Quest – which I absolutely despised at the time for making me feel more alienated than I’ve ever felt in my life – was ultimately the very thing that provided the impetus necessary for self-improvement. Losing all hope is freed-haha, no, that’s cheap sophomoric stoicism, but sometimes you really do need to hit some sort of rock bottom to have some sort of stable staging ground.

Thanks, Depression Quest!

Jekadu says:

Well, whatever works for you! I started being more open about my mental health, started seeing a psychiatrist regularly and got back on anti-depressants. Not sure where I’d be without that. A few months later something bad happened and things might have turned out really awful if I hadn’t set up a support network.

9. Big Murray says:

The idea of doing an ironic FMV game is a pretty good one, actually. For someone who can remember the likes of Megarace with Lance Boyle, the idea of a game sending up that era is interesting.

10. Bostec says:

FMV? OH baby! Come back to me Plumbers don’t wear ties, Come back and fix my leaky pipe. AWOOOOOOOGA.

11. kament says:

I admit. I chuckled.

12. Siresly says:

I’m glad FMV games are having a bit of a resurgence.

The Bunker is out this month and seems like it could be alright.

• CartonofMilk says:

I’m not. I remember how scared i was about the idea FMV might be the future of games in the 90s. That stupid thing called nostalgia is the only thing “bringing it back”.

• Sin Vega says:

I don’t think many people hold FMV games in nostalgia, they were almost all shite even at the time. And a fair few modern ones are at least doing something interesting with it, rather than just shoving some z-list nobodies or phoned in stars onto a CD and calling it a day.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Are you calling Christopher Lloyd a Z-lister?

He is at least w-list!

• Juan Carlo says:

There were a couple good ones, but none that wouldn’t have aged better animated. With the good ones, FMV added nothing and just made them kind of look low budget and cheesy (Gabriel Knight 2, for example). Although, with the bad ones (Phantasmagoria), it does kind of add a certain Z-grade movie appeal, which can be fun.

13. genoforprez says:

CT: What is game?
    ZQ: It’s like art, but bad!

I love this so much I almost kinda want it on a t-shirt.

• pepperfez says:

I’d settle for an attractive poster, but that really is a beautiful exchange.
      If I were in the market for a studio name, “LABB Games” would be high on the list.

Comment on this story