Dual Universe Shows Modular Ship Construction

Go-anywhere space games excite me, but not as much as multiplayer games which claim to put everyone on a single server with a player-driven economy and politics. Scifi MMO Dual Universe [official site] is aiming to offer both. It’s a first-person game with seamless planet-to-space flight, player-built cities and more, and the latest video shows its building tools.

Here’s the video, which is what you’re here for:

Let’s set aside the grand ambition for one second. That video looks pretty nice, yeah? There’s a nice mixture of prefab and block-by-block building to the ships, and I like that “control units” such as the cockpit can be further modified using LUA scripting.

Alright, back to the grand ambition.

EVE Online is thirteen-years-old and still there’s nothing that tackles player politics and economics at quite the same scale. Plenty have tried, but we’re overdue for someone to properly follow in its space-backstabbing wake. Though Dual Universe looks pragmatic and functional in the video above, there’s still plenty of reasons to be skeptical of its chances at succeeding, from Novaquark being a startup who have never made a game before to there thus far being no explanation of what tools will be offered to make that economies and political systems flourish. Simply creating an empty space isn’t enough.

Yet I want it to work. I want this game. I don’t want to be complicit in “hyping” something that might not work out, but I games are ideas and this idea is exciting.

An alpha is due in early 2017 and there was some earlier trailer at E3 showing more planetary transitions and space flight.

From this site

Harlander says:

I’m generally pretty positive about the slow but steady appearance of new Hazeronlikes. The more make a grab at that brass ring, the more likely it is one of them will stumble upon the formula for making the genre fun.

• JB says:

I’m really hoping now that Haxus is taking regular money for Hazeron that he’ll be the one to do it ;)

2. Bishop149 says:

I’ve never really understood why people would want the building element of a game to be in the 1st person perspective.
    But hey it seems to be the thing de jour

• TechnicalBen says:

Yep. This looks a lot like Space Engineers with a different gameplay scope.

I’d pay money for a 2d/3d out of game editor. Because first person (even floating “head” style) construction is SO SLOW.

• Turkey says:

I guess it’s cause it looks less intimidating for people who are allergic to anything that remotely looks like a strategy game.

• Scripten says:

Tactility and immersion, I would wager. That’s what appeals to me. First person construction feels more like building with one’s hands as opposed to laying out a blueprint. Both have value.

3. mtomto says:

The game looks ok, and in many ways similar to Empyrion. But when you have tried one set of Lego blocks, why would you try another set of bricks that most likely behaves the same way?

These games lack actual gameplay. A reason to swap brickset – a reason to play – a reason to stay. I’d rather play modded Minecraft than another dead-on-arrival blockbuilder.

• Iamblichos says:

My thoughts exactly… Empyrion builds ships in the same way. So does Space Engineers. I don’t get why everyone is racing to build this particular game.

4. Niko says:

Let’s just hope that kind of game won’t be overrun by griefing arseholes, people who like ruining destroying just for the sake of it.

• Drib says:

It’s an online game with a persistent single server. It will be nothing BUT those people.

• Distec says:

I know EVE has this reputation, but I think the horror stories coming from that game unfortunately overshadow the rest of the community. I’d say most people aren’t griefers/assholes. My average run-in with another capsuleer is pretty pleasant. I’ve met a lot of helpful and informative people; certainly a cut above the incessant drive-by hostilities I get in a game like WoW. Yes, even after they’ve savagely blown up my unassuming, non-combat ship.

Nine times out of ten the person bitching about the EVE playerbase doesn’t have their jimmies rustled over Goonswarm or CODE. They’re usually angry that they got ganked in their mining ship or whatever. If you fundamentally reject the rules of the game – and preying on defenseless targets is absolutely fair play in EVE – then of course you’re going to think the community is toxic.

TL;DR – Most of the players will be fine. Don’t be dramatic.

5. Chaz says:

Similar yet again to Planet Nomads link to planet-nomads.com which has just entered alpha. The building is almost identical.

6. racccoon says:

A direct copy of the system used in Empyrion who knows maybe they just broke his game up and used the parts, its a dirty world out there.

• CartonofMilk says:

isnt it more the system used in space engineers then copied by empyrion? I play and like both games but i think empyrion happened because of SE. SE has much better building though, but no actual gameplay outside of building stuff.

I don’t get my hopes too high but i’m still very much hoping planet nomads or dual universe become the games i want SE and Empyrion to be.