Fruits Of A Feather: A Swoopy, Glide-y Collect-Em-Up

Another little game which caught my eye today was Fruits of a Feather by Samurai Punk. It’s a sort of chillout game where a bird flies round an island collecting tomatoes. The fruit collecting didn’t really do it for me but the swooping and flapping of the bird was so pleasing.

I think the reason the collecting isn’t so interesting to me is that it generally requires the bird to go near the ground or towards the obstacles like trees and so on. That doesn’t hurt the bird, but it makes you very aware of the limits of the animation and the secret non-birdness of the thing you’re controlling. When you slam into a tree and the bird keeps its wings out and is still sort of flying suddenly the sense of flying falls away. I feel like it would really benefit from having the objects you collect be in the sky somehow, or be hoops you fly through – that sort of thing.

BUT, the swooping and flapping and gliding is lovely so I spent my time doing that instead, skimming the ground and doing little loops around the trees.

Fruits Of A Feather is pay what you want on itch.io

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. GWOP says:

Hmm, can anyone recommend me games that excel in this kind of flappiness and swoopiness?

I recently came across something called Lair which looked kind of cool, but it was a PS3 exclusive. And shite, apparently.

link to youtu.be

• SenorRoboto says:

Grow Home and Grow Up have the swoopiness once you get a little into the game.

alison says:

I haven’t played this one because I still can’t for the life of me figure out how to find anything in the itch.io client, but there is a really good bird game on Steam called Gathering Sky. It’s 2D/top-down but has an amazing feeling of freedom and joy.

There are three other “flying animal” games I picked up in the past few years that also evoked the same sort of emotions, though they aren’t arcade games – A Bird Story (RPGMaker), The Plan (you’re a fly) and Kentucky Route Zero (a brief part in only one episode that nevertheless stuck with me).

I always wanted to be able to fly. It’s not a very useful superpower, but it would just be so awesome. In Proteus there is also a very short flying bit that is amazing. There should be more walking sims where you can fly.

Rhygadon says:

There’s also Secrets of Raetikon, which has fairly good flight mechanics that get used in the service of physics-based puzzling. (Though per current vogue, the goals and mechanics are obscure to the point of being kind of irritating.)

2. Urthman says:

I love this. Anyone else who likes this should try a little freeware indie game called PaperPlane (really requires a gamepad because it uses analog triggers for control).

link to purringcheetah.com

• Urthman says:

PaperPlane takes a bit more skill to fly because you have to hold the analog triggers very carefully, often part way, to keep the plane steady. But it’s really worth the learning curve once you get the hang of it. And the game has really nifty exploration bit where you reveal and color more and more of the landscape as you discover particular paths to fly your plane around and through stuff. The game is significantly bigger than it appears (use the scrapbook in the menu to help find paths and know when you’ve unlocked everything).

• LearningToSmile says:

How have I never heard of this game before? This is amazing.

3. Phasma Felis says:

I agree that it completely takes me out of a game when I fly into a rock or the ground at full speed and just kind of bounce off and keep going. For games like this, where there’s not meant to be real survival pressure, I feel like the ideal behavior when you collide with something would be to rewind time a few seconds–let you know that you’ve broken the simulation without actually breaking the simulation.

Comment on this story