Offblast! No Man’s Sky Patch Brings Fixes Aplenty

No Man’s Sky [official site] developers Hello Games today released a new patch for the open-galaxy explore ’em up, bringing what they’re calling “our largest set of fixes and tweaks”. Expect crash fixes, bug fixes, and yes, that problem with players who pre-ordered not learning the hyper-drive blueprint is now solved. Looking ahead, they say once the game’s ship-shape they’ll look to “improve, expand and build on” it.

Go check the patch notes to see if your particular problem is solved. No, you daring wits, this will not help with expectations, but it will make exploring more pleasant for the folks who are playing it.

Hello Games have also posted a small development update.

“No matter what feedback you gave us, you have been heard and we are listening carefully,” they say. They explain that they’ve brought on a “support/community management team”, which seems about a month late, and are busy fixing raised issues “in order of priority”. They continue:

“What matters now, as always, is what we do rather than what we say. We’re developers, and our focus is first on resolving any issues people have with the game as it is, then on future free updates which will improve, expand and build on the No Man’s Sky universe.

“This is a labour of love for us, and it’s just the beginning.”

RPS doesn’t have An Official Stance on NMS – nor do we on anything, beyond the fact that “video games” is two words and so help me god John I’ll replace your fingernails with spacebars if I must. While Brendan felt let down and John was often frustrated, I know John has been pootling around and carving dreadful faces while Pip has whipped out her virtuacamera to snap vistas and animals.

Me? I presently have no time for anything but Devil Daggers so my stance on No Man’s Sky is mostly that I get annoyed when my Devil Daggers time is sapped by needing to keep an eye on comments threads as they risk getting physical. I see you.

[Disclosure: RPS’s own Alec Meer wrote some words for No Man’s Sky. I don’t know which words. Given that I’m sure Alec is slightly afraid of me, it seems unlikely he’d ever try to influence me with coercion or force. But god, wouldn’t you love to see him try? Make my day, Meer.]

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. RobF says:

It’s definitely one word.

2. Jeroen D Stout says:

The disclosure text is potentially the most interesting thing written about No Man’s Sky that I have read so far.

3. mcnostril says:

Browsing through the existing mods, I’m kind of excited to see how NMS will grow as modders figure out more and more things.

4. bitscreed says:

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

5. w0bbl3r says:

I wonder how many people whining about this game (and rightly so) will still buy a ticket to ride the next hype train, only to whine again?
    I would put money on 90% of them at a minimum.

6. AliC says:

>> while Pip has whipped out her virtuacamera to snap vistas and animals.

My google-fu might be weak but “virtuacamera” doesn’t appear to be a thing let alone anything related to NMS. I think you either owe John a stay of execution regarding his fingernails or Pip / yourself need to go first. Unless you meant “virtual camera” in which case…

Or just jump on me for threadjacking?..what’s the term for talking about the meta of a thread?

* walks away muttering something about “fingernails” should be hyphenated *

7. Jason Moyer says:

You could have at least given us time to prepare for the downcount.

8. AliC says:

Ok so apologies. How do I hide swear words behind a link? (Just read be excellent rules)

• Minglefingler says:

A quote from the Be Excellent rules: “Videogames are for everybody!”

• Phasma Felis says:

Huh, is that a thing now? I just read the rule in question, and it seems debatable whether or not they intended to block swears. They certainly haven’t before. I think it may just be worded vaguely?

9. LennyLeonardo says:

10. Michael Fogg says:

Jeux pour ordinateurs!

11. Neurotic says:

Blee! to this modern fetish for unnecessarily compounding nouns.

12. MrBehemoth says:

Why is the tower in the image so unhappy?

13. SimonPetrikov says:

Hey, baby, ride with me away
    We doesn’t have much time
    My blue jeans is tight
    So onto my love rocket, climb
    Inside tank of fuel is not fuel, but love
    Above us, there is nothing above
    But the stars, above

14. noiseferatu says:

My purchase of this game coincided with the release of this patch. Unfortunately the game still crashed 3-4 times within a bit less than two hours. The fact that the game doesn’t do proper autosaving is just insult to injury.

On the upside Steam’s refund policy works well and is quite fast as long as you know that the feature exists! I’m willing to give the game another chance after many, many more patches but in its current state it’s just unplayable for me.

15. eLBlaise says:

What fascinates me most about NMS is the reality that people paid 60 USD for what is essentially an in development title. I have no real interest outside of that fact.

• Jediben says:

No most fascinating is the media frenzy generated (perhaps procedurally?) around a game that lacks the most basic elements of player agency.

• Danley says:

Which is itself a mischaracterization brought on by post-hype backlash and an independent media that’s obsessed with hot potato ignorance. Be disappointed all you want when and if you actually play the game, call it overpriced (which in general doesn’t matter if you never buy it), but No Man’s Sky is no more ‘in development’ as any other title that was buggy the first month, and if no features are ever added it’s still a playable game that more than adequately raises the bar for a space exploration game. Line up Elite: Dangerous, Starmade, Evochron, Empyrion, Space Engineers or any other game in development or otherwise; in the realm of procgen planetary generation there is no available game that compares.

Projecting what I want a game to be (and hope that it will become) then judging the contrast between that and what exists does not make the game as it is “in development.” I’m not into message board drama but I was looking forward to this game and have been pleased with what I have. Not having some Demon Souls-esque random matchmaking without markers to point you to each other was the only thing I expected to be in the game that ended up not being there. This is a bandwagon topic if there ever was one, and hypocritically so given all the magic geese in games promotion.

Comment on this story