The Foxer

With autumn fast approaching, the Defoxing Annexe would like to remind visitors – especially those that arrive via the footpath from Digby-le-Hope station – that the 1/16th Matilda Scorpion tank to the right of the main entrance doubles as a boot cleaner (tread on the turret to activate the miniature mine flail). Since last year’s teething troubles we’ve substantially reduced the RPM and replaced the steel chains with nylon ones. Damage to footwear and feet is now highly unlikely, though we still recommend you tuck trailing laces into boot tops before using the device.

Last week’s theme: watches (defoxed by phlebas)

aAlbert‘ pocket watch chain (phlebas)
b Rolex Oyster (unsolved)
c Fob watch (phlebas)
d 2mm Kolibri pistol (AFKAMC)
e John Cooper from Desperados (All is Well)
f SOE Agent “The White Rabbit” (unsolved)
g Breitling Jet Team (AFKAMC)
h The Tin Man (AFKAMC)
i Pocket watch (eeldvark)
j Hunter-case watch (AFKAMC)
k Detail from Live and Let Die poster (phuzz)
l Watch crown (All is Well, phlebas, Artiforg)

* * * * *

Foxer Fact #712

On the morning of September 2, 1953, a North Korean defector flew a brand new MiG-16 (NATO reporting name “Foxer”) from Sunan just outside Pyongyang to the Kimpo Air Base in South Korea. Unfortunately for the USAAF, the machine was returned to Sunan the very next day by a South Korean defector.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. AFKAMC says:

Aircraft in side profile top left is a Siebel Si 204

See here: link to

2. Stugle says:

The self-propelled arty is based on the PT-76 light tank, but I don’t know the precise name for the self-propelled version.

3. Stugle says:

The flag in the background looks like the one for Luxembourg (the blue is too pale for the Dutch flag).

• Little_Crow says:

Was going to say just that about the washed out Netherlands flag, hadn’t got as far as recognising it as Luxembourg though

4. Little_Crow says:

The coin is a 2 Euro piece celebrating the centenary of the first flight from Malta:
    “On 13 February 1915, a Short Type 135 seaplane, carried on HMS Ark Royal, took off from the Grand Harbour for a 35-minute flight. The seaplane, which bore the serial number 136, was piloted by Captain Cecil F Kilner and made the first recorded flight from Malta.”

• Artiforg says:

Was struggling to log in to write the same thing! I hate the RPS log in mechanism! It keeps logging me out by the time I get back to the page!

• Little_Crow says:

Once logged in, hit F5 to refresh that seems to do the trick

• Artiforg says:

Thanks for the tips, you and Stugle. I need to be a little bit more clever with logging in. It catches me out every friday!

• Stugle says:

My Foxer routine: every week on Thursday I log myself back into RPS, so I’m assured proper access come the Foxer Friday morning (I’m on the US East Coast, so the Foxer goes up right at 8:00 am when I start my *cough* work day).

• unacom says:

That and it stubbornly asks me to solve little math-problems, so that it can verify me as human. I usually instinctively hit log-in and try to skip past those, only to do the whole log-in again.

5. Stugle says:

The coin in the left top is a 2-Euro commemorative coin from Malta, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the first flight from Malta.

phuzz says:

Train in bottom left is a dome car formerly from the California Zephyr line. The picture is from the wiki article</a..

7. AFKAMC says:

Siebel is a character in the opera “Faust”

I have found a link in Google Books to “Faust: A Drama, by Goethe”, which seems to include a poem called “The Carnation”

• AFKAMC says:

The book also seems to include the lines:

But like the harp when the zephyr is sighing
      To the breath of that zephyr in music replying

• AFKAMC says:

The expression “Becker Faust” (“Becker Fist”) seems to refer to Wimbledon champion Boris Becker (according to his Wikipedia entry).

8. phlebas says:

The shield on the right is the badge of Wimbledon FC.

9. All is Well says:

The Chinese characters seem to be the ones denoting the Song Dynasty.

10. richard says:

Olivia Newton-John gazes blankly at the camera.

11. Shiloh says:

The game art across the bottom middle is from Waterloo: Napoleon’s Last Battle I think. Looks like Wellington commanding.

12. Stugle says:

Okay, politician in the center: he sits on a gilded chair (always classy). Looks Eastern European or Middle Eastern to me. Wears a suit, which eliminates a lot of Arab countries (such as Saudi Arabia). It’s not Islam Karimov, nor Achmed Chalabi, nor Fattah Al-Sisi, nor Erdogan… To eliminate just a few people.

• richard says:

It is Georges Pompidou, who was president of France (and co-Prince of Andorra, because that is a thing) ’69-’74, before that PM ’62-’68. He died in office. Also facilitated the UK’s accession to the EC in 1973, according to Wikipedia.

• Stugle says:

So much at my attempts to narrow down the person – I did look at Jacques Chirac, but that’s as close as I got to France. :)

• richard says:

Looking at Chirac put me off France for a long time in the 1990s too.

• Rorschach617 says:

I was going a make a half-funny comment about web-comments, the word “Eliminate”, a certain touchy Ankara-based politician and suggest that holidays there would be a bad idea, but apparently it breaks some rules.

13. All is Well says:

The spear piercing a red sun is the insignia of House Martell, from Game of Thrones. link to

14. Shiloh says:

I think this could have to do with roses…

15. AFKAMC says:

Theory no. 2: “Song dynasty” and “Waterloo” make me think of the Eurovision Song Contest

16. Little_Crow says:

Bloomin’ ‘eck.
    Fastest Foxer solve ever, and I don’t think a clue has been missed.

Does this mean I have to do work for the rest of the afternoon?

• unacom says:

I´m afraid so. You guys are amazing.

• Shiloh says:

What about the Siebel Si 204? Unless it’s Gigliola Cinquetti’s song “Si” (controversial in its own way, apparently)?

• phlebas says:

And we’re done. Time for gin.

• Little_Crow says:

‘a’ gin, or just gin in general?
            Might I recommend the Bathtub Gin by Professor Cornelius Ampleforth as a fine accompaniment to more gin.

• Shiloh says:

Oh yes, it’s always time for gin.

BTW, has anyone seen a 14 ml pot of Humbrol 23 Duck Egg Blue matt paint? I’m trying to finish off this 1:24 Spitfire model and I seem to have mislaid it.

• AFKAMC says:

Ooh, that brings back memories. Were duck eggs ever really that colour?

Don’t forget to do the exhaust stacks in 70 Brick red.

And the pilot’s face in 61 Flesh.

• AFKAMC says:

The Siebel link at least is still up for grabs.

• Stugle says:

Lucky you that it’s only the afternoon – it’s only 9:00 am over here, now I have a full day of work to look forward to, without the welcome distraction of checking on the usual tenacious Foxer holdouts. Stellar job, everyone!

Comment on this story