Shadow Warrior 2 Slices And Dices Onto PC In October

Shoot and slice ’em up Shadow Warrior 2 [official site] is set to launch October 13. It’s a bloody, over-the-top ninja adventure that doesn’t take itself too seriously. There’s a guy taking a selfie as he decapitates a monster, so there’s stuff in there us millennials can relate to, too. It’s also shaping up to be quite beautiful if you look past all of the gore spraying everywhere. In the trailer below, Flying Wild Hog has recreated the subtle fall foliage of November in Japan contrasted with the white-washed walls of austere Buddhist temples. Lovely!

Shadow Warrior 2 is a sequel to the really quite good 2013 revival of the old 3D Realms FPS. This second entry sheds structured levels for procedurally-generated ones with a more open feel as you assume the role of mercenary Lo Wang, who has somehow found himself enmeshed in a struggle between a scientist and an evil cultist. With single player and four-player co-op gameplay modes, Shadow Warrior 2 tasks you with completing missions while gathering relics and upgrading your weapons. Perhaps most importantly, you get to play with a chainsaw katana. Adam got to try the game out earlier this summer, and, for the most part, he quite liked it.

When the time comes, you’ll find Shadow Warrior 2 on Steam, GOG, or the Humble Store for £34.99/36,99€/$39.99.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. GallonOfAlan says:

The first reboot was … pretty good, if you were into swordplay and didn’t mind the ultimately samey environments. It was more in the vein of games like ‘Painkiller’ and ‘Serious Sam’ though, where I wanted it to be like the original which was in the same style as ‘Duke Nkem 3D’ and ‘Blood’.

So I hope this one rectifies that.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I like Serious Sam and Painkiller very much, so I hope you’re wrong, heh.

I played the old Shadow Warrior and didn’t like it very much, it just went on and on, level after level, without making me want to see it through to the end.

2. YogSo says:

Also, the original Shadow Warrior ‘Classic’ Complete is now free on GOG. The basic game (no expansions included) was already free on Steam due to a promotional kerfuffle three years ago, but having other options is always cool, no?

• Jalan says:

It’s region-locked, so anyone who can’t access should flock to GOG’s forum and see if someone in an area where it isn’t will be kind enough to gift it to them.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I am a little apprehensive about this game as I’m worried the focus on co-op might end up making the single player experience less enjoyable.

• eqzitara says:

Yea, I am EXTREMELY nervous about this. I enjoyed the first but everything I see has put me on edge. Open world and quests? I fear this big push for open world in single player games is effecting games that were superior as linear.

4. CelticPixel says:

The 2013 reboot was an unexpected surprise and one of my favourite games from that year. I’ll definitely be picking this up.

5. MultiVaC says:

Procedurally generated levels… I don’t like the sound of that. I hope it won’t ruin things too much.

• Kakackle says:

It’s not procedurally generated, the levels are made of a couple of randomized hand-crafted pieces of environment with some elements staying the same every playthrough.

6. vorador says:

I really enjoyed the 2013 reboot, so i will be picking this up.

7. Buggery says:

I love numbers shooting out of people. I love procedual generation instead of hand-made levels. I love random loot boxes.

Wait, no I don’t. Borderlands was fun for about 3 hours and then I never wanted to play it again. Looking forward to this coming out with all the fanfare of a fart in the wind.

8. fdel says:

I liked a lot the 2013 version minus the hugue bosses on exclusive map. This is so arcadeish 90s, a concept that should be so dead.
    But the rest was awesome.

As for this one i m expectant, the procedural generated maps must more be toward parcels composing between themselves, so i don t think its a bad idea. Handmade games are fine but have low replayability because of “so i was here and have to do that” effect. This is the Heel of acquiles games like Pillars of eternity and the like, it really kills the game value.
    I am happy of the possibility of coop, really tired of battlefield like stuff.
    Run like a chicken spray and pray, rince and repeat…i must be old.

Comment on this story