Let’s Learn About Infinite Warfare Multiplayer, Shall We?

We’ve had a taste for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare’s [official site] story and the requisite zombies co-op mode (this time with wild ’80s prints and the Hoff himself), but what of the multiplayer? How will we compete in this world of infinite war?

Luckily, Infinity Ward have the answers to your burning multiplayer questions in two new trailers. It all looks very classic Call of Duty, but with a cool futuristic aesthetic.

Did you catch all of that? It was very shiny and fast paced. Ok, here. Let’s take a look at the overview, which breaks down some of the footage we saw in the trailer for more details.

The vid details new tech, maps, and gameplay modes. It seems like the biggest change Infinite Warfare is bringing to the series are the rig suits, which act as a kind of class system. Each rig suit is er, suited to a particular play-style. Once players get their suit all sorted, they then choose one of three traits and three payloads specially tailored for a particular suit for a more customized experience. There were a lot of buzzwords like, “freedom” and “choice” being thrown around, so it seems like they’re really pushing for folks to get creative with their competitive setups.

There are six suits to choose from: FTL, Stryker, Synaptic, Phantom, Merc, and Warfighter. All have their own specializations, which seem pretty standard for a wartime shoot ’em up. Some specialize in stealth tactics, while others are close-range, in-your-face brawlers, while yet others prefer mid-range combat or crowd control techniques.

Infinite Warfare’s weapons got some time in the spotlight, too. In  this age of space resource wars, you can now upgrade standard weapons to craft extra-powerful “prototype” weapons using salvage credits earned in-game. Looks like Call of Duty wants in on that ol’ carrot on a stick frantic weapons collecting a la Destiny.

Activision are really trying to drive home the idea that although this game is slathered with futuristic tech and strategy, it still features old-school Call of Duty elements at its core. We’ll have to wait and see whether that translates into a fun new hybrid or more of the same old, but with robots and black hole turrets. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is out November 4.

From this site

1. EKSelenc says:

Please, could we rather not?

cockpisspartridge says:

Don’t care. Not interested :P

cockpisspartridge says:

Actually, can I replace my original comment with the 90’s classic; “Let’s not and tell evrybody we did.”

That’s better.

3. zxcasdqwecat says:

Grizzly says:

Somehow, that multiplayer overview reminded me of that video where Errant Signal starts comparing videogame adverts to car commercials.

Otherwise, the multiplayer overview trailer says it itself: It’s still the old school Call of Duty. Which is great, but I tend to prefer the old school Battlefield. I realize Battlefield itself is also prone to it’s endlessly iterative sequels and heavy reliance on it’s own heritage, but it so happens to be a heritage I really like. C’est la vie :-)

5. Turkey says:

Is this the game where you shoot people in the head?

cockpisspartridge says:

Don’t worry. This sort of thing will never catch on.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Or the foot, it’s a game of choices, it’s really up to you.

6. clippa says:

There are plenty of companies making online shooters that respect their pc customers and give them the essentials such as no silly low framerate cap, decent dedicated servers, decent mouse control, and an fov slider.
    Battlefield 1 and overwatch are two recent examples that get these things right.

Call of duty stopped doing this after cod 4 and even treyarch, who used to at least make an effort, have gone to the dogs now.

It’s a sad state of affairs that this bundled modern warfare remaster will not even be fit to sniff the clammy portions of the original pc version.

I’ve defended cod in the past, it’s indefensible now.

• Hennet says:

I am not sure you know what you talking about, I got Black ops 3 with a Humble Monthly, and it Does have decent mouse option, a fov slider that go higher than most recent games and a slider where you can specify how high you want your fps to be locked at… No idea for dedicated server though.
      I get that Cod get some free hate, but let’s try to be at least factual.

• Bull0 says:

Fov slider is in, frame rate is adjustable, and “decent mouse control” is pretty vague but it seems to be fine to be honest. You should’ve just posted a pithy “not interested” like the other super cool and original sexy commenting people I guess

• clippa says:

You’re both talking about black ops 3, I’m talking about the new one that’s about to come out.

Like I say, Treyarch at least makes the effort. This game is being made by what’s left of infinity ward since all the talented people left to form respawn.

They do not have a good track record as far as pc essentials are concerned. For example, with their last cod, ghosts, the framerate was capped at 90, it took 3 months for them to add an fov slider (which went all the way up to 80 degrees horizontal and was absolutely useless).
      Dedicated servers were hidden away deep in the menus, ensuring that they were never populated.

As for black ops 3: turning off mouse acceleration does NOT turn off mouse acceleration. The game has the same shoddy mouse control as black ops 2.
      The pc port runs like a lame dog with hiccups and stuttering all over the shop and the hit detection is completely bust. It’s one of the worst pc versions of cod for a long time, or at least it was at launch.

Black ops 1 was the last halfway decent pc version of cod, cod 4 was brilliant.

I’m not here to slam cod just to be cool. I want a decent cod on pc. I wouldn’t be bothered by all of this if I didn’t.

Nauallis says:

It’s the future, and space, so I was kind of hoping for powdered armor.

8. thehuw says:

“FTL, Stryker, Synaptic, Phantom, Merc, and Warfighter.”

I think these might be the worst six words I have ever read.

9. thelastpointer says:

So is this Prodigy track free to use for cool trailers now?

10. RobotMan says:

So will MP use dedicated servers or P2P rubbish? that is probably the most useful thing to know.