What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

We’ve now only a third of the year left and crumbs, the list of games from this year I want to catch up on is already flipping huge. Is it fine if I just keep playing Devil Daggers? I’ll keep playing Devil Daggers until someone tells me not to. Here’s what the rest of Team RPS plan to play this weekend, but what about yourself?

Adam: I’ll probably play some Deus Ex because, heck, it’s stealth and cyber-stabbing. I’m tempted to shrug off the whole “non-lethal no-kill playthrough” approach and just straight up murder everything between me and the end of the game. Might make a nice change of pace.

Mostly, I’ll be playing The Curious Expedition though. The 1.0 release is just around the corner and my latest group of explorers found something that looks very much like The Lament Configuration. This is a very good game. Between the dinosaurs and the [REDACTED], there’s plenty of fun to be had simply watching the world collapse or burn as you pilfer idols.

Alec: I’m playing ‘remove the awful stench of 48 hours of gut disease from my house.’ It’s like Viscera Cleanup Detail but with the awful knowledge that all the horror is basically your fault. Once done with that, I guess I’ll chip away some more at Deus Ex MD, even though it’s still failing to truly excite me. Might check out Warlock At Firetop Mountain, based on the pretence that I can remember anything at all about the original Fighting Fantasy book.
Alice: Devil Daggers. Now go away and leave me to my satans.
Brendan: The cyber-downtrodden are screaming out to be saved by me, Adam Jensen, so I will probably try to rob more bank vaults and murder one or two corrupt police officials, and then saunter around the bars of Prague telling strangers about the Illuminati. I also mean to lose another five placement matches in Overwatch’s new season and explore the new castle map, discovering all the nooks, crannies and passageways, and then dying in them. If my desire for bloodshed remains voluminous, I might return to Rimworld and find a weird scenario on the Workshop to play through. Because nothing dampens a man’s spirit like dying in the rain of a foreign planet from an infectious rat bite.
Graham: I don’t know! I could continue with Attack On Titan, for the frivolous fun of separating giants from their limbs. I could pursue more Overland, for the grim fun of leading tiny people on a road trip to their inevitable demise. I could try out Pan-Pan, to bask in its pastel colours and flatshaded 3D world. It feels good to feel done with No Man’s Sky and Deus Ex Mankind Divided and to be able to spend time with smaller, more surprising games.
John: You know, it’s going to be No Man’s Sky. I can’t stop playing. I can’t really justify that, either. I’ve maxed out my suit inventory, my multitool and I just spent 20 million units on a 37 slot ship, and yet I still feel the desire to make another 50m for a 48 slot ship. And then what? Do what with it? What is a wrong with me? There are much better games I could be playing. But this is what I know I’ll boot up.
Philippa: [Pip is absent this weekend. As her dearest dear friend, I feel it falls to me to launch a deceptively bumbling investigation, defusing surly businessmen and sneaky hunters with charm and apparent ineptness, tricking them into revealing what they know. I call it… Cool Murders, She Wrote. It’s what Pip would want.]

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. dangermouse76 says:

I have downloaded and am currently playing Battlefield 2 ONLINE !There is currently some discussion over whether this is actually abandonware and therefore legal but…..

for now whilst it lasts I am playing 64 player Karkand.Aaaahhhhh!

cockpisspartridge says:

This was my favourite, and possibly last, MP game. I spent hours on it and haven’t found anything that really matched up to it since but that might be due to a lack of time to put into such things nowadays. After the ‘Have you played’ from last week I have got hold of BF1942 and am surprised at how much fun that still is, even against bots. I used to put a decent amount of time into ‘Project Reality’ for BF2. That’s available as a standalone now.

Grizzly says:

I’ll be working on ensuring that I can program Lego Mindstorm robots in C# – not much on the game front, except the ocassional bout of Dirt Rally and Battlefield 4.

3. NetharSpinos says:

This weekend I will be continue rummaging through Fallout 4’s Nuca-World. It’s rather jolly good fun-no less fun than the base game, certainly-if one accepts that it’s just another Skyrim through a Faalout lens. I will also be playing XCOM 2 and need to get back into the groove of Total Warhammer with the Beastmen.

Also if anyone wants to lend me £40 that’d be grand as I’d quite like to start playing Deus Ex now thank you.

• Pogs says:

I was playing FO4. Then I decided to go back and play FNV which somehow I’d not really got into before. Probably FO3 burnout. Its only when I started playing FNV in anger that I released FO4 is a poor substitute. It made me happy to be playing a decent FO game again but sad that FO4 is somewhat lacking. So lots of FNV this weekend!

• geldonyetich says:

I decided to get well and properly stuck in Fallout 4, given that Nuka-World is supposedly the last big expansion for it I suppose I can consider this the full Fallout 4 experience.

In fact, its worse than usual. I’ve adopted the alt-o-holic fiddling that occurs when I get it in my head that the best experience can be had if only I can devise the most “fun” character build. Further complicating things, Survival Mode adds a great deal of depth and real ramifications to my mistakes, but the constant loss of progress from unexpected death tempts me to quit it and go back to a game where I can quicksave constantly. Then I’m ashamed of what a quicksave addict I have become and go back to Survival Mode for my own good.

And yes, New Vegas is probably the better Fallout FPS, although Fallout 4 is more a obviously canon successor to Fallout 3. Honestly, it’s like I’m not even here for more Fallout, it’s like I’m here for more Skyrim, and have decided that in light of this being the newest Elder Scrolls game I can make peace with the fact that in this version of Skyrim there’s been an apocalypse and now everything looks awful.

4. airtekh says:

I’ll be spending my weekend inside a magnificent, ancient German castle.

And by that I mean the new map in Overwatch.

5. A Wanderer says:

I will be spending the weekend in a dark place, actually the darkest of them all, because it’s Darkest Dungeon.
    Just came back after a hiatus, discovered the town events and the infamous bandit raid. Lost my level 6 vestal to the bastards, now I have to grind to have another one because my level 6 party is now totally useless without her.
    I hate Darkest Dungeon but I can’t help playing it again once a while. Strange.

6. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Having nabbed it while it’s cheap, will be luchadoring on with Guacamelee. Seems a cracker so far, though only one boss in so far. (And funnily enough, if it weren’t for seeing it at a GDQ event I probably would never have glanced at the game.)

Also, given I’ve dug the controller out of its hiding place, maybe finishing Grow Home as well.

Captain Narol says:

Like John, can’t stop playing… No Man’s Sky.

Don’t send help. They would not see me, even if on the same planet !

To Infinity and Beyond !!!

• wxid says:

I’m on my way to the centre of the first galaxy, and by god I’ll get there if it kills me. I’ve heard it’s pointless (haven’t watched the videos) but I don’t care.

I just want to be able to say that I did it. Only 71,785.3 light years to go…

• DanMan says:

Here, for both of you:

• SheffieldSteel says:

I’m giving NMS a rest for a little while because it is starting to get toooooo easy…. enough slots on the tool to mine superfast and kill Sentinels pretty quickly, enough room in the ship and inventory to stockpile most of the materials… where’s the challenge?

8. MrYo says:

I’m playing Supreme Commander and Europa Universalis 4 with my brother this weekend.

• gbilly says:

Long time lurker, created account to say “here here”. The *comments on RPS – what are you playing – are a goldmine.

9. RimRider says:

I’ll no doubt be playing Redout!

10. MiniMatt says:

That Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition which magically appeared (link to rockpapershotgun.com) in the Steam library I think.

It was a great game in it’s day, and a bit of ARPGing every now and again is good for the soul.

• Caiman says:

I installed this to see what had changed, and now I’m 11 hours in. It really does hold up very well, one of the very best APRGs.

• Michael Fogg says:

Me too. I was raised on a diet of Fallouts and Infinity Engine games so I nominally hate hackenslashes as a perversion of the RPG ideal. But every few years I have this urge to check one out just to see what it’s really about (last time it happened when Torchlight 2 came out). I end up enjoying a few hours, which also happened with TQ 2, and almost accepting the paradigm. It leaves behind all notions of simulation & storytelling which pervade classic RPGs for a pure game of optimisation – kill mobs more efficiently to become more efficient at killing mobs. Is it a step forward or back? I don’t know, what I do know is due to little experience and aversion to reading entire darn skill trees I end up creating very inefficient chars and end up having to run in circles a lot.

Also, as part of pre-release hype for the sequel to the Shadow Warrior remake, Gog.com gave away the original for free, including the two mission packs, which were shelved after development and never saw release. Might try these two.

11. ButteringSundays says:

Renowned Explorers for me mostly! Finding it hard to put down!

I completed my 3rd attempt on casual mode (normal difficulty in discover mode) and am halfway through a friendly run on classic difficulty in explorer mode – and after a VERY successful trip to Mali I’m confident!

I also feel I should play some Devil Daggers, I only ever got to 62s and with Alice obsessing over it it’s hard to keep it out of my mind!

12. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

This weekend I will be mostly playing the Battlefield 1 beta (I’m enjoying, it feels chunky and war-filmy in a way they haven’t for a while) and Deus Ex: Human Revolution again because I’m excited about new Deus Ex but can’t afford it at the mo. Playing the Director’s Cut and trying to spot the differences….not a lot yet but that may just be my memory

Thulsa Hex says:

I just did the same thing with DX:HR and as far as I could tell the only real differences are the (slightly) re-worked boss fights and the addition of the Missing Link. Actually, the latter is a pretty large chunk of game time, and I was genuinely surprised with how decent it was. It’s a tad jarring at first, as it’s inserted into the campaign in a bit of a clunky manner, but the placement ultimately has logic to it and there’s a fair amount of good (read: horrific) lore.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Ah, that’s cool but I played the Missing Link already. Tis a good chunk of DLC, indeed. I loved the end ‘boss fight’, that’s the way to do them. I only picked the director’s cut up because it was like £2 and I knew I’d want to play it again one day, and now is that day. I’m specifically activating the Augs I barely used in my first play through. It does change it up a bit, but it’s all quite prescribed options, not the crazy emergence of the original. Still fun though, and the art style is still great.

• Mi-24 says:

Best thing about the directors cut is the dev commentaries littered around. They provide a lovely insight into the design and show tonnes of stuff you’d never notice.

Thulsa Hex says:

Ah, yeah the Dir’s Cut version does seem to have the most value if you haven’t played the DLC. I’d forgotten about the dev commentary, though, and maybe should have enabled that. I’d also picked it up on Steam for pennies, having played it on Xbox 360 a few years ago. I’m kind of kicking myself however, as I’d also picked-up the “definitive” Wii U version for a good price, but the lure of 1080/60 on PC won over. In retrospect, the apparently-excellent gamepad screen integration probably would have meant for a more novel second run of the game.

And you’re right, the art direction holds up well.

13. Barberetti says:

No idea why John is paying all that cash for ships when you can get 48 slotters for free.

Anyway, I’m done with No Man’s Sky as my quest to reach the edge of the galaxy was cut short by the game not letting me, due to there being a thin shell of stars surrounding the galaxy’s edge that you can’t select to hyperdrive to. Very annoying.

So, Kerbal Space Program it is! Also, maybe some Quake mapping later as Alice’s “Have You Played” from yesterday has given me the itch to get creative.

• Vacuity729 says:

Either you “pay” by making lots of money and buying the ship, or you “pay” by searching for the next crashed ship with an inventory size one larger than your own, transferring your inventory over, fixing it (and of course having the resources to fix it) and doing it again and again. And either you don’t build the warp-drive upgrades and are stuck at boring systems, or you build them and they get mostly wasted because the resources you get back by junking them aren’t worth much.
      I got up to a 25-slot ship mostly by repairing and am now just saving up cash for a significantly larger ship. I mean, what else am I going to spend my money on anyway? My exosuit and multi-tool are long since maxed out.

• SheffieldSteel says:

How do you know your tool and suit are maxed out? (And what are the limits?) I thought 16 slots was the limit for a suit for a long time, but then I just bought another slot and the interface got wider.

Captain Narol says:

Ship and Exosuit : 48 slots max
          Multitool : 24 slots max

• Vacuity729 says:

These numbers are correct. I maxed out the multi-tool without really trying to. The exosuit I made a point of buying upgrades for as while they do get more expensive as you go, they’re also completely permanent, unlike ships which come and go.

14. Babymech says:

15. Scurra says:

Warlock of Firetop Mountain is really good considering what it is trying to do. The engine is fun, with a neat tabletop miniatures vibe, and there’s clearly been a lot more added to lessen the “opening sequence over-and-over” tedium.

16. fonewearl says:

Going back to Fallout 4 for the first time since it came out, now all the DLC is there. I’ve already finished a couple, and it’s amazing how up and down this stuff is!

17. Spacewalk says:

I think I’ll get in on some Deus Ex action too, the first/third one and I think I’ll cheat to max out the muscles aug and spend the entire game killing people by throwing potted plants and trash cans at their heads.

Thulsa Hex says:

Namely, Deus Ex (2000). The Granddaddy. Re-playing Human Revolution has accidentally led directly to me finally acquiring and installing the Steam version of the exalted original. I’d played it a bunch when it first came out (my school chum introduced it to me as “Dooz Ex”), but due to losing my saved games to a ritual HDD reformat (thanks, Dad) I’ve never actually finished it, and this has been nagging at me for the longest time.

I’ve already made a fair amount of progress, and I’m a little surprised that the bulk of my original impressions still hold true. That said, memories of some of the locations and plot points have also been a tad fuzzy, making for a slightly surreal experience of semi-familiarity. Still, it’s very interesting to revisit it in the Context of Today. And man, this game is bonkers. The location design is bonkers. The voice acting is bonkers. The character models. Much of the script. It’s all bonkers! But it’s bloody brilliant! Like, proper brilliant. I thought it was going to be a bit of a slog at first, but the much-discussed aspects that made it so influential and surprising back then still shine through if you give it the chance.

Anyway, most of you know all of the above already. I’m just really looking forward to seeing it to completion, finally.

Potentially plugging another significant gap in my game brain, I’ve been toying with the idea of playing Shenmue I and II. I’ve never even touched a Dreamcast before, so it would be an entirely fresh experience. Some research and a quick test suggests that accurate emulation is entirely viable, so I think I’m going to give it a go over the weekend.

• Mi-24 says:

I came back to deus ex (with the Excellent revision mod) too after hearing about the new deus ex. Just escaping from MJ12 prison ATM.

Thulsa Hex says:

Sweet. I’ve always liked the (perhaps not-so-subtle) foreshadowing of that whole thing in the early game. I’m cavorting around Paris, and thus I’m much further into the game than ever before. It seems to get stronger as it progresses, too!

Thulsa Hex says:

Re: Shenmue, I’ve started playing it this afternoon and I’m already very pleasantly surprised! I’ve really only been pottering around the house but that Gone Home-esque thing of being able to snoop through all of the drawers offered plenty of distraction. Slightly wonky controls aside, there’s a level of detail and finesse that I did not expect. I’m sure it would have blown my mind had I played it back in 2000.

FWIW, the current build of the DEmul Dreamcast emulator seems to be running it extremely accurately at 60fps, albeit in native resolution without modern post-processing effects. It looks surprisingly good though, and I’m happy for it to look so close to the real thing. Apparently even the emulated Sega arcade games are working. I’ve also opted for the fan-modded PAL version with the Japanese voice-over and English subtitles, which has been perfect so far.

• welverin says:

I seem to recall there being an option to select English or Japanese (that would be the US version for me), but it’s been a long time and it’s also possible that was just the Xbox version of two.

Hell, I could really be confusing things because I had to import the European version of two and play with the English subtitles because it wasn’t released in the US for the Dreamcast.

Thulsa Hex says:

It turns out that the language/platform options for both Shenmue I & II are quite convoluted! Let’s see:

Shenmue I (all Dreamcast):
          PAL (EU) – English dub (w/Eng subtitles)
          NTSC (US) – English dub (w/Eng subtitles)
          NTSC-J (JP) – Japanese voice-over (w/Japanese subs)
          NTSC-J (JP) – “US Shenmue” – English dub (w/Japanese subs)

Shenmue II:
          PAL Dreamcast (EU) – Japanese v/o w/Eng subs
          PAL Xbox (EU) – English dub (w/Eng subs)
          NTSC Xbox (US) – English dub (w/Eng subs)
          NTSC-J Dreamcast (JP) – Japanese v/o (w/Japanese subs)
          No US Dreamcast version
          No JP Xbox version (I think)

It’s all over the place. However, someone did a great custom job of inserting the Japanese v/o into the PAL DC version of the first game, meaning that if you play this “undub” version and follow it up with the official PAL DC Shenmue II, you can play both games with Japanese v/o and English subs, and also import your save file from I to II.

Edski says:

Zelda 2:The Adventure of Link. I thought it would be an hour or two of harmless nostalgia but now I can’t stop playing. Hopefully the later parts aren’t as punishingly difficult as they seemed when I was ten…

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

Well this is an unexpected and slightly bizarre coincidence, I have also been playing Zelda II this weekend, although for the first time in my case; finished it yesterday. I’ve been watching Mark Brown’s Boss Keys series on YouTube, which is an analysis of the Zelda dungeons from LttP onwards, and this resulted in me a) feeling like playing/ replaying the games he is looking at and doing some analysis myself, and b) finally getting around to seeing what Zelda II is actually like, even though it won’t be a part of the Boss Keys series.

• welverin says:

I mostly watched my brother play that one. That and Metal Gear were games I probably experience more from watching him play than playing myself and yet were still important games in my childhood.

20. Agnosticus says:

BF1 open beta, I’m about 5 hours in and my feelings towards it are still very much ambivalent.

What probably bothers me the most is that the weapons (on foot) feel incredibly weak and arcadey.

On the other hand vehicles are very well done, the level of destruction is GREAT and I for one like the map design.

I’ll fill in the gaps with some Rocket League and Worms WMD.

21. Yachmenev says:

Started playing my old Fallout 4 save, and wonder if I maybe should give it another spin, and just accept it as a Diablo style loot game with just action, instead of a roleplaying game, to see if that can bring a bit more enjoymnent out of it.

22. aircool says:

Just finished my first playthrough of DXMD and had a great time (all 73 hours of it) and am now ready to start again on a higher difficulty and a different method of playing.

I bet I still end up killing everyone though. Even after none deadly takedowns I still put a bullet in their head, just in case someone woke them up.

2000_man says:

Probably some more Deus Ex:Mankind Divided. Though I completed a side quest last night where you can investigate a grizzly Aug murder and now I wish there was a cyberpunk/LA Noire type game ‘cos i wanna play that.

24. lglethal says:

DX:MD probably. Although probably not a lot as SWMBO wants to go visiting the Amersee in Southern Germany tomorrow.

Will also probably get in a game or two of Blood Bowl 2.

Relatively boring this week… ;)

25. TheAngriestHobo says:

My ultimate league is having a tournament this weekend, so I’ll be playing frisbee.

When I have some time, I’ll be playing Elite (I’ve been stuck in a region that’s 90% brown dwarfs and ice planets for almost a week now, I’m ready to head home), and maybe some CK2, as my empire is being wracked by the plague and civil war and I need to set things straight.

26. kwyjibo says:

I am playing Duelyst. Why is no one else playing Duelyst?

It’s excellent. It’s a card game similar to Hearthstone, but your moves are played out on a real time tactics style grid – so it puts more emphasis on your tactical positioning than how many rares you have in your deck.

I’ve spent nothing on it, and and still having a great time one week in.

• malkav11 says:

I feel your pain. I am constantly wondering why no one else is playing Hex: Shards of Fate (I mean, obviously plenty of people are, but not people posting here or on Quarter to Three). It doesn’t have the tactical positioning, but it does a ton of other stuff to take advantage of the digital possibility space and, unlike a lot of other digital TCGs, it makes singleplayer content a major part of its design.

Anyway. I’m afraid it’s why -I’m- not playing Duelyst. I only really have the attention span and certainly the budget for one TCG and Hex is that for me. If they hadn’t offered lifetime advantages in their Kickstarter (not to mention a great deal on cards), they might have had to fight harder for my time, what with all these others emerging along the way. But I suspect they still would have won because of the singleplayer.

• kwyjibo says:

The thing that attracted me to Duelyst wasn’t the CCG element. I actually just want a good tactics game, can someone just clone Advance Wars on the PC?

But I also understand how just charging for a tactics game means that not enough people play it and matchmaking takes forever. I was really pleasantly surprised by how generous Duelyst is and how even the starter and budget decks allow for interesting gameplay.

Another benefit, is that matches are only 10 minutes long.

• Koozer says:

That’s all well and good, but why is noone else playing Faeria? It has all the MtG fun of balancing lands with card colours with none of the randomness (when it comes to mana) It also has an artstyle that doesn’t burn my retinas like Duelyst does.

• kwyjibo says:

I’ve heard some good things about Faeria, but it’s had so little coverage. RPS has covered it a grand total of zero times. There are no reviews on Metacritic.

The only non-forum/comment piece I’ve read on the game is link to pcgamesn.com

• wyrm4701 says:

I just started in, and you’re right, it’s not bad. I like the art – it reminds me of Dungeon of the Endless quite a bit. It’ll take me a few days to sort out some of the challenges (which appear to be fundamental tutorials?), but I should be ready for a competition-grade thrashing shortly.

Am I right in thinking that including high-cost cards in a deck are a bit unwise?

john_silence says:

Waiting for the replacement PSU to come in, instead of sitting there since Thursday night across the border. Come on PSU. Move a little. Come to daddy.

Be Quiet just sent my old one along to their HQ without testing whether it works or not, so I’m left agonizing with no easy way of ascertaining what is really at fault. Maybe my motherboard is fried.

The worst thing is, I just bought a GTX1070 and couldn’t even check it out more than a couple times. Didn’t even launch Deus Ex MD because we had a heat wave and I didn’t want to overtax it when it still smells of new silicone. Damn.
    Praise the game gods for the iPad and the US Open.

28. rahji says:

After playing the last wing of the new hearthstone adventure (which was fine) I started Final Fantasy XIII. And so far I like. A few hours in, the setting seems to be quite interesting and the battle is encouraging to explore its depths.

• FrancoBegby says:

Ah shucks…. has been a while I did anything in HTML, forgot the closing tag. WHY U NO EDIT BUTTON?

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

It took me a few seconds to get that “In Celebration of Violence” is the actual name of the game. That’s a shame, I was ready to raise a toast to the most awesome holiday ever invented.

Fuck it then, I’ll drink alone. To Violence!

• Turkey says:

Dang. There’s way too many roguelikes. I can’t keep up anymore. This looks cool, though. I’ll check it out.

29. Xristo says:

WoW: Legion (easily the best expansion in 10 years) … and some Battlefield 1.

30. malkav11 says:

I suspect my main focus will be levelling in the Broken Isles in World of Warcraft’s new Legion expansion. Lots of good stuff so far (though I still want to be able to fly and things I’ve seen about a couple of the new zones look like a real pain without it).

I did drop a fair chunk of change on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, though, and I would also like to play more of that. I just finally finished faffing around in the opening district and am headed into wider Prague after like 7 hours. I have learned, among other things, that it is surprisingly difficult to kill people by hurling vending machines at them.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hex: Shards of Fate got a look in (I just finished rounding up enough cards for a few of the top tier Arena decks, and it is time to use them to grind gold and Arena loots), and I am done with all the room escapes in Zero Time Dilemma so I am presumably on the home stretch in terms of finishing that. It would be nice to get it done and dusted before my vacation takes me away from my computer. But Legion and Deus Ex are powerful draws, so we shall see.

31. fish99 says:

Only games I’ve played the last ten days has been Solitaire, Spider Solitaire and Minesweeper. I need something super-chill and utterly brain-dead to play when I’m not feeling up to a real game. Any ideas?

• Koozer says:

The immortal Peggle.

• malkav11 says:

Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator, depending on which part of the world you’d rather haul goods around. Just pick a cargo to haul, and drive around, on cruise control half the time. There are occasional traffic situations to navigate and once you’ve earned some money, you can add on some business simulation, but it’s pretty chill most of the time.

• fish99 says:

Cheers for the suggestions all :)

I’ll look into Peggle. Already played a ton of ETS and ATS, but I do need to go back and check out Arizona. As for NMS I found the interface/controls annoying and refunded it, maybe when it’s cheaper.

Captain Narol says:

No Man’s sky, of course !

Perfect game to chill and daydream !

AutonomyLost says:

I have been wanting to jump back and forth between the Witcher 3 and the new Deus Ex this past week and into this weekend, being able to play either when my mood calls for it, but I realized that, at this time, isn’t possible, as the newest drivers released from Nvidia completely gimp my Witcher performance. It’s really nonsensical and disappointing. Alas, I reverted to the drivers released mid-July and, coupled with the 1.30 patch, am experiencing the best performance I’ve had to-date with the game.

All of which is to say: I must complete the Blood and Wine DLC (which is happening this afternoon) before updating drivers and giving Deus Ex another go.

Unless I feel whimsical and choose to pursue a New Game+ on Death March difficulty, which is NOT out of the question… it’s difficult to want to separate from the splendid world CDPR have crafted. It’s really something else.

Also, maybe some XCOM 2.

• SheffieldSteel says:

That’s good to know about the NVidia drivers. Thanks :)

• McGuit says:

Still playing some “Witcher 3” with all the expansions on a console that shall not be named. 40 hours in and feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface. What a wonderful game. Like it so much, I picked up the PC game of the year edition on disc to live in my games library for my 2nd run through. Probably the best game I’ve played in the last 5 years.

Ben King says:

I just finished up INSIDE and it was AMAAAAAAZING. They really doubled down on the sci-fi bmovie madness in the final act. It was a great conclusion but a strange one that looked to have been pulled right off the cover of on of my favorite Sci fi novels by CJ Cherryh. Probably play a bit of MGSV, read up on the D&D players manual in preparation for the Aquisitions Incorporated game at PAX on Sunday, and will likely boot up Morphe then quickly minimize it to listen to as back ground music while I write up rules for a random D&D encounter and draw the accompanying map.

34. Zenicetus says:

I finished DX Mankind Divided, so this weekend it’s probably a bit of Stellaris, and then I’ll dive back into the Witcher 3 DLC and finish that up, so I can retire Geralt from my hard drive. I’ll be sad to see him go, as it’s the best game I’ve played in recent years.

35. Aerothorn says:

Is Brendan full-time staff now? He’s not on the staff page.

36. haidouk says:

I already finished Turmoil, a nice rather small tycoon game on oil extraction. Now I’m playing The Last Station. It’s pretty nice, but I’m still trying to figure out what it is about. It’s starting to feel a bit repetitive after 2 hours. I think that if it had revealed a bit more on story as you progress, I wouldn’t mind the repetitiveness.

37. SheffieldSteel says:

I’m downloading The Witcher 3 and I’m sort of excited about it :)
    I didn’t finish 2 but I played the first one through more than once. Witcher Witcher on the wall, which is the witchest one of all?

38. Konservenknilch says:

Getting started on Obduction, which I backed – so no new money spent. I’m in love with the Myst-y feeling all over again (go ahead RPS, crucify me :P ).

• Konservenknilch says:

Oh, and I should probably get Cities Skylines now that it’s on sale, not sure how my craptacular PC will handle it though.

• Robert The Rebuilder says:

Me too.

I promised myself that I wouldn’t cheat and get online help. I’m mostly through it except for a couple pesky locked doors.

Lars Westergren says:

I had friends over for boardgames so we played Mansions of Madness 2, it was awesome to not have to set up the board for an hour first, and also not knowing how the map looked until you explored it.

Exploding Kittens too, I won twice. It is a game with little strategic depth, but shut up, we had fun anyway.

I wanted to do Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with the Vive, but we ran out of time so we have that left for another time.

A couple of us also wanted to play Netrunner but we didn’t have time for that either, so we may try tonight online through Jinteki.

I may do some Dota tonight with my new swanky party MMR I got through the compendium. 600 more than before, a dizzying 2400 instead of 1800.

Pathfinder Adventures on my tablet perhaps. Regular PC games I don’t have much time for this weekend unfortunately, but maybe next weekend.

40. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Since Slitherine has finally realized that the sacrifice of my firstborn son is a bit too much to ask for their games, I managed to get a good deal for Battle Academy (check Bundle Stars, there’s a lot of Slitherine stuff on sale, including a bundle). I’ve always been fascinated but intimidated by the wargame genre and this lightweight, intuitive entry is perfect for my tiny brain. It has a few quirks that betray its mobile origin, but it does have very detailed tooltips, so I can’t be too mad at it.

I’ll probably do a few runs on Brigador as well.

41. Mi-24 says:

Well. I’ve been on holiday in the northwest of Scotland these past 2 weeks so I have a little deus ex catching up to do. Also I bought cities skylines in its recent sale, so…

Nope, still deus ex

42. Kingseeker Camargo says:

I finished it for the second time, and I just started a new character. This one will be favouring daggers and a shortbow, and she’s only allowed to teleport from the very first bonfire of each area, and only to Firelink and back, for added challenge and sightseeing.

That’s three playthroughs in a row back-to-back since the game came out, by the way. I haven’t loved a game like this since the first Dark Souls. I don’t even know how some people have anything to complain about, this is a blast. I enjoy every second like a maniac. Yeah, blah blah blah poise, blah blah blah host advantage –I get bored playing turtles and I don’t give a toss abot pvp, so maybe that’s something to do.

I’m also coaching my gf through her first playthrough, and she’s picking up quite nicely. Seeing her take down the Old Demon King in her second try with such precise rolls and perfectly timed hits made me ridiculously proud.

She’s just about the face the Pontiff now, that should be interesting.

• Devon says:

I tip my hat to you! My fiancee doesnt think she be able to learn the souls series. She mostly plays games like fez and braid but most certainly those skills she has picked up are transferable. I will not stop in my efforts to convert her! Although I wish I could stop playing these games myself. I started in october and havent quit. Im currently halfway through my third playthrough of ds3 and between the first game the second, bloodborne and the third ive only stopped to play the disapointing fallout 4 and the excellent Doom. Lord help me! how many times can i play through these damned games!?

• Kingseeker Camargo says:

Well, she started giving me moral support during bosses in DS2, and then she gave it a try. She liked it, although she didn’t go too far into it. That’s probably the easier one to get into the series. And then when DS3 came out, she decided to go in for the whole trip. Now it’s become part of our day: she plays for an hour or two, and then I cram in 40 minutes or an hour, and then dinner.

One interesting thing I picked up watching her (and other inexperienced people) play, is that the game’s difficulty can be rather scalable if you have someone help with points distribution. My gf liked the battle axe’s moveset, so I have her spend most of her points in strength and vigor, followed closely by endurance. Right now she can absorb a lot of hits and she’s packing a mean punch, and she can hit six times in a row and still roll once; which helps her a lot with the more vicious fights.

Other than that, there’s always the option to go with a caster for a first time. Sorceries in particular seem to be quite helpful for people who tend to freak out in close quarters (especially at the beginning, since they start with Heavy Soul Arrow, which is quite handy): link to youtube.com
        In fact, I recently learned that a combination of Hidden Body and Spook may even make stealth a viable option. I’d like to try that soon.

43. KDR_11k says:

I… don’t know. I need a new game as vegetating in AdVenture Capitalist and No Man’s Sky is turning unbearable but I’m wary of Deus Ex as I got stuck on the first mission of Human Revolution (man, that combat is HARD). And when you tell me “every choice has consequences” I quit the game to avoid having to make choices…

44. April March says:

I think I’ll be playing Enemy, the surprisingly good (if disappointly glitchy) XCom-in-vidyagmes. I just managed to kill the first boss. I usually don’t even manage to make out of the first level alive.

45. Shiloh says:

Wargaming via Vassal at the moment. GMT’s Operation Dauntless. Might also have a solo run through of Labyrinth tomorrow – haven’t played it in a little while and it is such a great game.

particlese says:

I should probably want to play the new Deus Ex, but my desktop tells me otherwise. (Just “Devil Daggers” and “not Devil Daggers” (ESO) on a black background.) It got out of hand a couple weeks ago when a friend and I argued about possibility spaces and the symmetry of desktop icons, but it’s back to being tidy again. And slightly larger since I’m now making important life decisions on the Laird Messiah Monitor Numero Uno (Asus MG279Q). Freesync has been slightly confusing so far (didn’t immediately work as expected in DD, so I turned it off for easy 144Hz goodness), but the size, res, refresh, and not-yet-calibrated colour accuracy is quite nice.

particlese says:

Oh! And my Devil Daggers accomplishment/excitement for the week was this — getting the screamy hand before the second group of waves and shortly thereafter bumbling into a spawner I thought I’d dropped. I’m still trying to replicate the first half of that trick.

47. simontifik says:

After finishing the main story line of the Witcher 3 a few weeks ago, I’ve been a bit uninspired by anything on my PC.

I dusted off my Wii U yesterday and started playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate again. It took a couple of hours to figure out what the hell I was doing, it’s not an easy game to jump back into after 12+ months but it’s got it’s hooks into me!

zinzan says:

Combat Mission as always; Half Life 2 (made more progress than I did when I last played – many years ago); Trying to avoid starting Attila since picking it up on sale a couple of weeks ago. I’ve promised myself I’m going to play ONE game to finish this year!!

49. welverin says:

I’m also on the Mankind Divided train, but that’s been supplemented with a bit of Evolve and Destiny (I’m now ready to get my exotic swords).

Comment on this story