Blue Byte’s Champions Of Anteria Is Out, Has A Demo

Here’s a little something you might want to try this weekend if you’re looking to sink your time into a new game. Champions of Anteria [official site] launched this week, and it has a free two-hour demo so you can try it out before you buy. Champions of Anteria is what became of Ubisoft Blue Byte’s The Settlers: Kingdoms of Anteria, reborn as an RTS-RPG with a touch of city-building on the side.

Champions of Anteria will you build a team of three heroes from a pool of five before heading out to save the world from warring clans and monsters. Each champion has an elemental affinity, so you’ll want to match those to your enemies’ weaknesses. To spice things up a bit, you can place elemental artillery like flame throwing turrets and mechanical turtles that spit water, or use an attack to alter your opponent’s element to your advantage. Once you tire of that, you can head to your castle for a change of pace to upgrade your gear, tend to villagers, and beef up your kingdom’s resources.

It sounds a bit like RTS-lite, which is good, because I have no patience for strategy nonsense unless the game’s name starts with Fire and ends with Emblem, but that’s not even a PC game, so I digress. This might actually be a strategy game I could get behind, is what I’m trying to say. If things get too heated you can pause to line up your next attack, putting an emphasis more on carefully thought out strategy rather than raw reaction, so that’s nice. Really takes the edge off if that’s your thing.

You can buy Champions of Anteria on Steam and Uplay for £24.99/€29.99/$29.99. The demo’s available through both of those platforms too.

From this site

1. Orillion says:

Nothing says “I’ll be able to play this game at will in a few years or so” like servers tied to Steam, uPlay, AND Denuvo.

• ScubaMonster says:

Yeah it’s a real tragedy. I can play games that are old as dirt from studios that are no more. Not going to be the case with this trend of draconian DRM. I’m sure someone will have cracked versions out but why should I have to download a cracked version of the game I bought? Add in no support for people to host their own dedicated servers for multiplayer games and everything is truly dead.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

I’ve loved Settlers since the original, and I would have bought Settlers 7 despite middling reviews.

Sadly that was the game Ubisoft decided to kick their always online bullshit off with – even putting aside the fact I’d probably have foregone it out of prinicpal, the fact I was living in Burma at the time of its release completely tied my hands; at one point the government shut my internet connection off entirely for 4 months.

Haven’t bought a Ubisoft game since, won’t be buying one again. Kind of helps that the vast majority of their releases are the kind of unimaginative, cookie-cutter franchising bollocks that, along with the attended fans, have sent gaming down the pan.

• Wertymk says:

I enjoyed Settlers 7 quite a bit, so I decided to play it again a while back. Except when I hit play uPlay informed me that my cd-key was already in use. Did that no matter what I tired. So I created a ticket in Ubisoft’s support service hoping to get my game back. Instead I received no reply at all from Ubisoft, they simply closed the ticket after a couple of days. Not going to buy it again. Or probably any other Ubisoft game for that matter.

• Konservenknilch says:

Settlers 7 is fantastic – easily the best since Settler 2. Looks great, plays great, very board-gamey. Pity any discussion of it inevitably drowns in the whole uplay thing.

2. gou says:

settlers…honey no, what happened to you?