Watch Dogs 2 Gameplay Vid Takes Us Shopping

When Ubi announced Watch Dogs 2 [official site] at E3, they promised a lot more hacktivist goodness as we assumed the role of Marcus Holloway, a Dedsec member set on sticking it to The Man with the help of his smart phone and legions of social media followers.

Ubisoft’s Colin Graham walked us through 20 minutes of Watch Dogs 2 gameplay this week, giving us a nice look at the game’s various hacktivities, driving mechanics, and other fun features. Oh, and we got to go on a shopping trip. Here, take a look yourself!

Much like in the original Watch Dogs, Marcus uses his phone to hack vehicles and unsuspecting passersby. Players will be able to choose from common to more contextual hacks that depend on your target, giving you a few different ways to pursue a target. They’ve also thrown in a “Net Hack view” that lets you see where you might want to hack next. It’s kind of like Detective Mode in the Arkham games, or Geralt’s Witcher Sense.

Graham next took us on a ride around the Bay Area. After listening to player feedback, they say the sequel’s driving has been much improved. The development team has gone as far as to collaborate with Ubisoft Reflections (Driver), who takes video game driving very, very seriously. Players will need to be able to cruise smoothly around San Francisco’s steep hills and narrow streets.

Speaking of San Francisco, the city looks lovely, and has been recreated in some detail. Graham takes us on a shopping spree at Pier 39, where he shows off the game’s customization options. You can shop to create a look that works for you with dozens of clothing and accessory options. Once you’re all decked out, you’ll want to take a selfie to develop your ~*social media brand*~ to gain followers that are key in moving you forward in the game’s story.

Ubisoft showed a little of Watch Dogs 2’s multiplayer modes back in August, but this latest video gives us more of a taste for the Bounty Hunter mode, a sort of PVP event that sics three other online players on your trail as you’re dogged by the police in a pursuit. Of course, whether or not you’re tagged with a bounty is dependent on your play style and how often you pick fights with the cops.

Watch Dogs 2 is out on November 15.

From this site

1. CartonofMilk says:

A lot of people didn’t like the first, i had some issues with it, chief among which the driving, but i thought it had good potential as a franchise. One of my other (but lesser) issue was the outfit customization (it’s important to me) which was lacking since they were all variations on the exact same theme, so it’s good that this has also been considerably improved in the sequel. Everything i hear about WD 2 so far has me very interested. The story will probably be really meh again but story is not the reason i play games. And SF is always a good pick when driving is involved…

2. RaoulDuke says:

I watched this on gamersyde the other day.

/rant
    I hate how all the publishers are putting all their promo videos for games on YT. In the past, they would send direct feed/ultra-high quality videos to gaming websites, to allow them to re-encode them (or not) into the size they needed. I get that YT videos are convenient, with the choice of resolutions already built-in and available, but I actually want to see the games graphics before I buy it, I’ve grudgingly watched low quality video-exclusives [ign/gamespot mostly] in the past but YT is just so bum these days.
    /rant over

The graphics are nice. Based on the E3 stuff and now an actual gameplay video is out I’m getting the feeling that remote-hijacking cars is the one of the few fun/new things in the game, the rest looks pretty boring, the driving physics are still rubbish [At 5:05, check the way the car “stutters” when it leaves the road, while going down the hill].

They had so little to show, they put in a bit where he takes a selfie. That was in GTA V 4 years ago, so its not a new feature or anything, show me something interesting!

• gunny1993 says:

“but I actually want to see the games graphics before I buy it”

Given that it’s ubisoft they’ve kind of got you coming and going haven’t they.

3. MasterWuu says:

God, I hate how every new Watch Dogs article makes me think it’s a new Sleeping Dogs article for a second, then I realize it’s not and I’m just sad.

• vorador says:

AFAIK Sleeping Dogs sold badly :( which is a real bummer.

• ZIGS says:

According to steamspy, it sold 1.5 million copies on PC alone (and that’s just the normal version, does not include the remaster)

• Jokerme says:

FYI it’s a Square Enix game. So it failed horribly.

Cvnk says:

How many of that number were purchased during Steam sales when it was heavily discounted? I feel like Sleeping Dogs has been showing up for cheap money on those sales forever.

4. master thief says:

Wait, what? No towers?! Oh man! Oh God, oh man! Oh God, Oh man, oh God, oh man, oh God, oh man, oh God!

5. Riaktion says:

The protagonist and the hacker dude theme turns me off sadly. It is such a small thing to maybe write off a potentially good game, but.. what can I say? It seems to be the case on this occasion.

• BiscuitP1mp says:

Nah, don’t feel bad about it. Ive written off entire games because protagonist rubbed me up the wrong way.

• sosolidshoe says:

Blerhg, I hope you can turn off all this pernicious online shit. I wish I knew how to make devs understand that the reason I’m playing a single-player game is because I want to play it alone – I’m not interested in teaming up with randos, I don’t want to have my bit-of-fun “slaughter everything” run turn into a bloody PvP session, and I don’t care to be ranked against anybody.

Well, I know they won’t understand, because these “features” only exist to justify their futile attempt to defeat piracy by forcing single-player titles to be always online, but it’s nice to dream.

6. Buggery says:

Damn it, I glanced at the headline and though it said Sleeping Dogs 2.

Oh well, nothing for it but to play Sleeping Dogs again.

7. modalrealist says:

Is it just me or is the article quality on RPS slipping a bit? Not only the grammatical errors (“Ubisoft Reflections…who takes”) but the lazy, uninformative regurgitation of a promotional video. It’s the kind of thing I’d expect to see on the IBT or BuzzFeed: just passed through a “RockPaperShotgun” filter to give the pale impression of the kind of writing that made this site.

Harlander says:

It takes a while for the new writers to fully assimilate into the hivemind, and this kind of article is the equivalent of light stretching, just enough to keep tone but not break the endless probing tendrils slowly working their way under the skin.

• Lanheses says:

Ubisoft Reflections is kinda of the name of the team behind Driver, not a grammatical error.

• Llewyn says:

This is a news post; they’ve been a regular feature of RPS for quite a while (to the extent of them hiring a News Editor some time back).

The purpose of news posts is purely to tell you a thing has happened – Ubisoft have released a WD2 “gameplay” video – rather than provide any meaningful insight. It’s not a hands-on, it’s not an opinion piece, and the author won’t have any more information than you can glean yourself from the video. The point is supposed to be that you can get that news here without needing to go elsewhere for it – works for me, might not for you.

The idea is that this type of post supplements “traditional” RPS writing, not supplants it – it’s supposed to be in addition to all the things you like. Whether there’s as much of the traditional content as there used to be/should be is another debate entirely…

Cvnk says:

It’s more common to treat companies as singular, even if the name uses a pluralizing “s”.

8. uh20 says:

I want the whole game to be commentated. constantly marketing the game as i spend hours in the clothing store.

9. faircall says:

Apparently you have to email John directly about this from now on.

10. Unsheep says:

I enjoyed the first Watch Dogs game, in terms of the gameplay, although my expectations for new triple-a games are always lower and more realistic than that of the mainstream and the media.

Watch Dogs 2 looks even better though. I think they have expanded on, and added more depth to, the gameplay of the first game.

11. Zanchito says:

I yearn for a free roamer city game that actually lets you use a driving wheel. Using x360ce emulation and setting up controls in both Logitech + emulator is a pain in the bum and the final result is never ever good enough.

12. Sunjammer says:

“How do you do, fellow kids”

Oh Ubisoft, one day, one sweet day, you’ll discover genuine cool.

13. anHorse says:

Looks way too similar to the first game in terms of gameplay

14. Chaoslord AJ says:

I think I’ll skip even if they fix the driving. The press “button” to hack approach isn’t all that great.
    I got the first game discounted despite mixed reviews. Open world -how bad can it be but mediocre still overrates it.

• Lito says:

Maybe it was just me, but I really did not see that the driving had changed much. It still was pretty wonky, but we will see.

15. Grumpy Trooper says: