Cyberpunk Social Engineering In Supercontinent Ltd

Social engineering is the bane of network security. Your firewall’s layers of barriers, dummy vaults, and deadly black ICE might stymie even a super wizard class hacker but that doesn’t matter if the wee scamp’s able to phone up some fool and cadge the password with a few lies. That’s the sort of datajacking which free game Supercontinent Ltd [official site] is interested in. You play a merc sent to gather intel on a criminal organisation in the grim cyberpunk future, only to find they don’t use computers but some form of obsolete hardware called a… tell-o-phone?

Luckily, you’ve brought along voice-changing software (to bypass voice passwords, obviously). Once you’ve figured out which way up to hold the tell-o-phone, you can start trying to find out more about the shady Supercontinent Ltd by phoning its members. You’re using social engineering to uncover a web of people, faking voices to find out who’s in the organisation, getting more numbers to phone more people, gathering data to fake more voices, finding the right questions to ask, and slowly figuring out what’s going on.

I dig it! I like the combination of juggling identities, finding out who’ll say what to which people, and a few sly interactions with the office we’ve snuck into. It’s pretty and sounds nice and all. A few lines are wonky but the devs are Spanish so I won’t grump. I did get a bit confused at bored at one point, forgetting who knew what, but it turned around and I was glad I stuck around until the end.

You can download Supercontinent Ltd free from Itch. It was made by Gods Will Be Watching developers Deconstructeam in three days for the Ludum Dare 36 game jam.

Oh, and the most important part: you dial numbers by tapping numbers out on your keyboard yourself. That’s always a treat in any game with keypads. Beep boop!

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. gou says:

And here i thought social engineering was stuff like tax breaks for married couples. But now it seems to be a colourful term for “i got phished”

• froz says:

I have only now learned that it has this second meaning
      (as used in this article). I can’t even understand why it is called like that. It’s not social. It’s barely engineering.

But it is nice to know.

• P.Funk says:

The idea of social engineering in a Cyberpunk type world is so much more powerful an idea when its the actual proper definition instead of this… adorable? one.

• Phasma Felis says:

And I’ve never heard of the other kind ’til just now, so there you go.

Breaking into a computer system by exploiting technical weaknesses is engineering, of a sort. Therefore, doing the same by exploiting social weaknesses is social engineering. It’s a little joke, but it’s been common parlance in security circles for a quarter-century at least.

• Ahtaps says:

It makes perfect sense for what it is though.
        “Social” being the interaction with other humans (as opposed to a computer), building a rapport with them and gaining their trust.
        “Engineering” being the non-science definition:
        “to arrange, manage, or carry through by skillful or artful contrivance”
        In this case you are using social interaction to engineer an outcome in which they reveal information you need.

• P.Funk says:

I think the fit of the term “engineering” is pretty weak in this context actually and the already extant term “hacking” would be far more applicable. Social hacking has a much closer 1:1 break down.

I feel like this usage actually really brings the value of the term engineering way down. Manipulating human beings in confidence scams to give up valuable information or money is not exactly something I’d say gets even close to being worthy of being engineering, unless it was engineered on a grand scale.

• Phasma Felis says:

You’ve got it backwards. “Phishing” is the more recent term for a specific category of social engineering, in the security sense.

• syndrome says:

link to

“Social engineering is an attack vector that relies heavily on human interaction and often involves tricking people into breaking normal security procedures.”

• Masked Dave says:

I only new the security definition of the term as well. Not sure how it applies to tax breaks? (Not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t get it.)

• gou says:

The tax breaks for married couples was a mild example of government getting the population to conform to the 2.4 nuclear family ideal, a while back it would of course then exclude all those who didn’t (or were not allowed) to marry, an effort to prevent those social behaviors

2. StAUG says:

Fun little game, although like most ‘made in three days for competition x’ types it’s rather short.

3. iwanPlays says:

An excellent small game I’m so in love I added voices to it: link to

Comment on this story