Cool Movement Tricks In Throwback Arena FPS Toxikk

Throwback multiplayer FPS Toxikk [official site] is due to properly launch on Friday the 9th, following a lengthy stretch in early access. It’s inspired by classics of the late nineties and early naughties – looking way more Unreal Tournament than Quake to my bleary Monday eyes – and that naturally means cool movement tricks. Toxikk boasts doublejumping, dashing, strong air control, and other movement tricks that can be chained into some really cool tricks, as explained in a new trailer. Observe:

That’s not bad, that! I do like that it has illogical boosts for jumping on elevators and angled surfaces, features which remind me of the weird physics quirks and miscalculations that helped made moving in old arena shooters so much fun. It’s not quite the same if these quirks are intentional, losing some of that surprising emergent feel, but still – I’m glad they’re there.

So that’s Toxikk: an retro-ish arena FPS where you zoom around and shoot other people real hard. Bigger maps have vehicles too. Toxikk has been on Steam Early Access since January 2015, picking up really quite impressive reviews from players.

Toxikk is a proper paid game but will launch alongside a ‘Free Edition‘ which is really a fancy demo. The Free Edition will offer Toxikk’s full core shootyshooting but on a limited selection of maps, no access to features like the server browser or character customisation, and a few more restrictions. However, Free Edition players will be able to play against proper Toxikkfolk. Why not call it a demo? Reakktor explain:

“The term DEMO has a defined meaning on Steam that comes with specific technical restrictions. E.g. people who play a demo on Steam cannot play online against people who own the full game. Which is obviously far from optimal for a multiplayer game.”

Okey cokey!

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. jon_hill987 says:

Looks like this will be more UT than the new UT. I Played a lot of 2k4 back in the day, the movement looks almost exactly like I remember, launching off lifts and the like. I will definitely give the Free Edition a go.

2. thelastpointer says:

Is that Deck16 at 2:52?

3. TeePee says:

I really want this to be good, but I’ve been burned before by games promising a revival of the old arena feel (anyone remember Rekoil? …No? There we go).

It’s been on my wishlist for a long time (since June last year, apparently!), and I’ve kind of been keeping one eye on it in the hope that it does deliver. Really got my fingers crossed for this one, it might get a lot of playtime from me if it works out.

• TR`Ben says:

It is good. I’ve played it for a while and had a blast. The only problem i see is lack of players. The game needs some coverage to attract more players.

• TeePee says:

Ah, that’s good to hear. Fingers croseed the release (and maybe a well-timed free weekend) might get enough coverage to get a stable community going. I guess I’ll do my part and pick up a copy too. Can’t whinge about a non-existent playerbase if I’ve not done my part, I guess.

4. Jekhar says:

I fear this games community will be quite… toxikk!

5. merbert says:

What a load of shite!

Anyone who’s played a Quake a CoD or Overwatch or Titanfall already knows this stuff.

Absolute swizz of a video.

They should be embarresed churning out that pap to the gaming comunity and expecting people to think it’s novel or cool.

Hiiiiiii fffffffffhart hin huer jenhural diiiiiirrrrrection!!!

6. spcd says:

I always had issues with double tap to dodge in UT. It messes up my flow

7. Vesperan says:

This does remind me of movement from the likes of Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament, and fills me with a nostalgia for those times.

But I fear my old, fat fingers would now be slipping woefully behind the kids who live next door to me.

Yes – those kids who wont stay off my lawn!

*shakes fist angrily*

8. HumpX says:

“Reakktor”. Took me a bit to remember where I heard that name. It comes from the makers of one of my favorite all time MMO’s, Neocron!

9. merbert says:

10. JustAchaP says:

I want this game to be good but there’s just no one playing it :(
    I feel bad for the developers, they announce their game then a week later a new UT is announced.

Comment on this story