Red Dead Redemption Remastered Rumoured For PC

I should warn you: Ian Video Games is wearing a cowboy hat. Worse: he’s saying things like “ah fair reckon”. Someone’s filled his head with dreams of Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption [official site] and ah fair reckon it’s you, The Internet. As ever with our Ian, some of what he’s spouting is tripe. No, Ian, no one has found a poster revealing a new Red Dead sequel. However, when Ian says “I tell you whut, them Rockstar varmints are cookin’ up a PC remaster of Red Dead Redemption hoo-eee doggie!” then spits a brown mouthful of ‘chaw’ (it’s toffee), well, that hasn’t been immediately disproven at least.

Red Dead Redemption, to explain to folks who may well have missed it, is Rockstar San Diego’s open-world gunslinger ’em up set in the wicky Wild Wild wicky wicky Wild wicky Wild wicky wicky Wild Wild Wild West – it’s Grand Theft Auto with horses. It’s a cracking game! Maybe even my favourite Rockstar game? But its original release in 2010 only hit Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and Rockstar gave unhelpful answers as to why we never saw it on PC. Boo. Onto the rumours!

Korean site Game Focus has word of a rumour that Red Dead Redemption is being revamped for re-release on PC and those there new consoles. They say they expect it’ll be announced at Sony’s PlayStation Meeting event on Wednesday, then launch in the first half of 2017. Game Focus seem to give no firm sources so it might be a load of tosh. Their focus on Asian localisations specifically does make it seem a touch more substantial than the usual Red Dead rumours but yeah, this could be nonsense.

It wouldn’t be without precedent, mind. Plenty of publishers are fancying up their hits from the last console generation for re-release on new systems, including others within Rockstar’s parent company Take Two. 2K have a remastered collection of BioShocks coming out next week.

What’s definitely tosh is the poster going round for a sequel to Redemption, supposedly named Red Dead Retribution. Nah mate, that’s a mockup a fan made and sent to Rockstar. Oh Ian, you excitable little cowpoke!

I would be jolly pleased to see Red Dead Redemption on PC. I adored its condensed wild frontier, ranging from Mexico across the great plains to the forested Rockies. It’s set in the dying days of the Wild West, starring John Marston, a former outlaw turned family man who gets drafted by The Man to wipe out his fellow relics. It’s surprisingly touching at times too. Nice/sad little note in being able to permanently wipe out its herd of buffalo. Fun shootyshoots and all. Got a fun spot of Weird West in its ‘Undead Nightmare’ DLC too.

From this site

1. GallonOfAlan says:

SEX WEE

2. UncleLou says:

As someone who adores RDR (and is still clinging onto his PS3 only because of it), this excites me almost more than a sequel would.

It is such a stunning, stunning game, and it could benefit significantly from running on better hardware than it does now.

• UncleLou says:

On a sidenote, it might just be the game with the best animations in gaming. Maybe GTA V is the same, but RDR has more animals, and they are particularly stunning.

• Grumpy Trooper says:

Well I was looking for the +1 button but couldn’t find it so +1 :)

• Andrew says:

I would prefer sequel, but to play it one more (and more, and more…) time is a next best thing for sure.

• Legion1183 says:

I sold my PS3 quite a while ago and this is one of the game is miss the most. If this PC release rumour is true then I cannot wait! Oh to be able to play RDR again but with a decent resolution, uuuunngh….

3. N'Al says:

Having played and completed RDR + DLC on the 360 I’m not too fussed about this, but for all y’all PC-only people out there, there is only one acceptable response: SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

• BlackeyeVuk says:

As a very manly man, sometimes I just want a good reason to squeee like a little girl.
      Today is the day.

4. Jokerme says:

Are you kidding me? I started playing this game just a few weeks ago after waiting for PC version for so long and the resolution is killing me.

I don’t know if I should continue or wait now.

• Andrew says:

Both.

• w0bbl3r says:

Since it says the announcement is likely to come in just a couple of days, maybe just wait until then to find out if the rumour turns out to be true.
      If it does then you might want to wait, if there is no more concrete evidence after the Sony announcements then carry on with the (blurgh) console version.

RaveTurned says:

I did the same, and… actually I’m not finding RDR that great. So far the controls are fiddly, the characters are poorly written and the activities you do in the game are a bit boring. Wondering what all the fuss was about.

• montorsi says:

Same. I played it a bit a couple years ago and thought it was a bit boring to be honest, but I never did make it out of the first handful of hours (it may pick up eventually) and if they update it to their modern GTA engine then I’d be interested in giving it another try.

• fray_bentos says:

Same for me, just a few hours in and I got bored, but then all the praise for later parts of the games makes me feel that I should have stuck it out a bit longer…

• fabronaut says:

To be fair, I think it’s one of those cases where the world is far more impressive than the game itself?

I don’t know if I’ve ever finished a “proper” sandbox game (read: fully completed FarCry 3, have yet to ever finish a 3D GTA game?), and RDR was certainly not an exception to the rule in that regard.

I got a lot of mileage out of wandering around, staring at the night sky as it were, observing the wildlife, and just soaking up the atmosphere via the visuals and sound design as sort of an ambient thing.

I found the actual missions to be kinda tedious and generally preferred just doing the hunting and gathering quests. It certainly isn’t aiming for the harshness of a survival simulation, but it does sort of get that weird video game-y “survival-ish” feel.

summary: it’s more than the sum of its parts? or it certainly feels that way, anyhow. in small doses, perhaps.

• Jokerme says:

I don’t know about you, but I love Rockstar stories. They are always mature and has dept, at least for me. For example I loved main story lines of all 3d GTA games. Especially 4 and 5 were two of the best stories I saw in a game.

So far I’m liking the RDR story, albeit I only played for about three hours.

I think I’ll wait until the announcement see if it’s anything to be excited about.

• Steravel says:

It took a while for the game to start working on me. I was iffy on all the typically wonky Rockstar micro mechanics. Every time the game wanted me to lasso something, I died a little inside. But slowly, I find, the game just creeps up on you until you’re completely immersed in the ambiance.

For me, the moment I realized the game completely had its hooks in me, was after the harrowing riverboat shootout, and the game transitions to Mexico. When the player lands on the Mexican shore and makes his way along in the night, and that somber, haunting song kicks in… I don’t think I’ve ever been more completely inside of a game. That’s a top ten all time video game moment for me.

Ultimately, the story becomes much more compelling than it seems at first. The ending is a classic, and I think it’s the best thing Rockstar has ever done.

• Fnord73 says:

This. The opening is really boring, but if you make it through the lasso-quest then suddenly it becomes a real western and just gets better and better from there. The ending is especially touching.

• UncleLou says:

Well, it controls like any GTA game. They are always a bit fiddly. :)

Have to disagree with the “poorly written characters” though, especially the main cast is quite great, not the least because the game isn’t a satire (as opposed to GTA), and the often more serious tones work quite well.

All that aside, what the game has in spades, and what’s becoming increasingly important for me, is atmosphere. It’s easily up there with, say, Stalker, or Thief, or System Shock for me, and it’s also what elevates it above any other Rockstar game.

One of the often heard criticisms was that there is too little to do on the map – I think, if anything, the opposite is true – there might even be too much on the map. Riding in the wilderness, taking in the landscapes, hunting, etc., just never got old for me in this game.

5. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I will do a jizz into my little man pants if this turns out to be true. I might just do it even if it doesn’t. I’m all excited now.

6. hjarg says:

Yay! Finally!
    Hope the rumours are true!

7. w0bbl3r says:

Recently replayed call of juarez gunslinger. That’s about the most fun western game we have on PC, but it has it’s issues, like the stupid showdown mechanic you have to play at the end of each level.

Would love to see something like this come to PC, or even something similar with just as good cinematic quality and gameplay.

Syt says:

I’ve just watched The Searchers again last night, and at the sight of desert, snowy mountains, and the Mexican border, I thought, “Wouldn’t it be nice if RDR finally came to PC?” Rumors have been around for ages, so I won’t hold my breath, though.

9. spacejumbo says:

Please let this be true…

10. Kefren says:

I don’t think I’ll ever enjoy a cowboy game. I played through some Western shooter that was praised to high heaven and was mostly bored (one where it’s a story being told like Prince of Persia – “No, I didn’t do that after all, did I?”)

I don’t know if it’s the terrain, or the sayings and accents that feel like cliches, or the political thing of creating legends around those conquering inhabited lands, but something always feels off to me.

I did have a good Top Trumps Western deck as a kid, though I still preferred my two horror monster decks.

• PenguinJim says:

I’m not a “Western” person either – my favourite Western movie is Back to the Future III – but somehow RDR was my GotY in 2010.

Not that that’s any guarantee that you’ll like it, of course! But liking Westerns is not a prerequisite to liking RDR.

11. anHorse says:

Actually just tried to replay this a few weeks ago

Unfortunately the hours upon hours of typical rockstar forced tutorials killed it for me the second time around

• suibhne says:

This is splendid news – for the beauty of the world, if nothing else. RDR has plenty of fiddly elements – especially the ridiculously overlong forced tutorials and the weird disconnect between game mechanics and some of the narrative presentation – but the gameworld is among the greatest ever created.

phuzz says:

I played a bunch of RDR (or Grand Theft Horsey as it’s known round here) back on the 360, but never completed it. I’d really like a PC version. I might even buy it on day one (I’m not going to pre-order though, I ain’t daft).

13. int says:

Hi Noon!

14. gbrading says:

I bought a secondhand PS3 mainly so I could play RDR (and Journey). I enjoy it a lot, but it’s always tinged with the disappointment that the PC version never arrived. Imagining how good the game would look at high settings, and how precise the shooting should feel with a mouse, how smooth the framerate could be.

Even though I’ve played half the game on PS3 already, I’d definitely play it again on PC. Fingers remain crossed.

Ninja Dodo says:

Yes, please.

JiminyJickers says:

I’m playing it right now on the xbox, but would so buy it for the PC. Want some mods and just being able to use the mouse to shoot!

17. Laurentius says:

I don’t know, I like all GTA games but I have never played a tpp game when riding a horse wouldn’t be a massive pita: ACreed, Witcher3,DAI…

Mungrul says:

To be fair, and it’s pretty much an exemplar of brilliant gamepad controls all-round, the horse in MGS V is great to ride. Too many times when I play third person games on a pad, I end up having to contort my right hand while trying to run and move the camera at the same time, but MGS V solved that by allowing Snake to sprint forever (no stamina bar! YAY!) and assigned sprint as a toggle to the left stick-click.

On topic, I’d dearly love this to arrive on PC. I played it first time round on the 360, as the performance was supposed to be better on that than on PS3. But even there the jaggies were omnipresent, the textures pretty muddy and the framerate erratic.

I love that the mountain lions made their way in to GTA V too :)

Also, do I rightly remember traumatising knife fights with grizzly bears?

• Llewyn says:

That’s interesting. RDR was one of the few games I bought for my Gran Turismo box because performance was supposedly better on that than the 360, which I used for most action games. I don’t remember having the issues you list, but perhaps that’s just a sign I need to dig it out and play it again.

Thulsa Hex says:

I skipped this when it came out because I was afraid that it would be too much like ye olde GTA. There’s been many a nice word about it over the years, however, so I do sometimes wonder if I’m missing out. Anyone love RDR, despite finding GTA kinda boring/annoying?

cpt_freakout says:

Depends on what you find boring about GTA – if it’s the mechanics, then you’ll probably find this one boring too, because the principle is the same: open world, collect some stuff, shoot some guys, join some faction, listen to some great music.

However, if you find the whole GTA theme boring, you could give RDR a try. I haven’t cared much about GTA ever since Vice City, and I’m far from being a Westerns fan, but RDR’s themes were pretty well articulated, and the writing was surprisingly good at many points. The characters are fine, but I think it’s one of those games that are great not because of particular points of the story, or because there’s characters you’ll never forget, but because it touches upon a variety of themes (historical and pop cultural) with so much care it left me, at least, thinking about various topics (stuff like ‘the frontier’) long after I was done playing.

• Steravel says:

Well, it helps a lot if you’re a fan of Westerns, obviously. If you enjoy just sort of soaking in the ambiance of that genre, it goes a long way towards helping you overlook things you might not like about the Rockstar formula, which show up in this game as well. If you don’t like Westerns and you don’t enjoy any aspect of GTA, you’d probably be hard pressed to find a lot to like here.

I never enjoyed the GTA games as a rule *until* RDR won me over, and it made me give GTA 5 a try with new eyes, which I generally enjoyed if only for the quality of the simulation.

If you wanted to contrast the two, RDR has plenty of the same bombast you find in the GTA games, but it also has quiet, even poignant, moments both naturally occurring, and in the story. I think it’s a testament to what Rockstar is capable of when they apply themselves to a more under-served setting than the GTA series. It makes you wish they would tackle more of them in as convincing a fashion.

Ninja Dodo says:

I never liked GTA much. I was briefly impressed by the scope of GTA IV and I sort of enjoyed driving around Vice City and listening to the music and radio, but I *couldn’t stand* the characters. For some reason everyone in a GTA game has to be an irredeemable asshole. I’ve also never really been very interested in modern American cities and all their glass and asphalt.

Red Dead takes the mechanics of GTA and puts them in a much more interesting setting, the spaghetti western. It also has a protagonist that you don’t want to constantly punch in the face. It still has that Rockstar streak of misanthropy in the world-building where almost everyone is either terrible and amoral or naive in the extreme, but it balances it out with a couple more well-rounded characters. Also it’s kind of just better at being GTA than GTA is… The mechanics of roaming around, grabbing a random horse/car, going where you want and the world being kind of chaotic and violent maps much better to the western setting than it does to a dense modern urban space. Where GTA has you playing a sort of cartoon psycho/kleptomaniac here you get to be a former outlaw on the frontier trying to redeem himself.

It’s quite good.

Thulsa Hex says:

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I’d be lying if I said I had an innate love of Westerns, but I have thoroughly enjoyed specimens of a certain tone and atmosphere. I’ve found that I’m really not into the GTA brand of “parody” and I think that it’s the tone of those games and their characters that wears me down more-so than the inevitable repetition. Thus tone would probably provide the most valuable litmus test for me when considering RDR. I don’t usually use YouTube to help me decide whether or not to pick up a game, but that might be my best bet here.

• sianma41 says:

I think we share the same problems with gta, but I found Red Dead to be worlds ahead of any gta i’ve played (admittedly only 4 and 5). Red Dead has some really clever writing, such as the whole closing act which I thing is one of the best endings (as a whole, not the spoiler moment most know) in all of games and for me at least none of the grating tone and self-satisfaction of gta.

• P.Funk says:

The tone of RDR is much much more sober and cynical and realistic. It feels like a proper historical drama for the most part where the tropes are woven in and explored with more respect for the audience rather than it just being about making ironic takes on something that was serious. The characters are all earnest and without affectation or obvious irony.

The dialogue in particular bears almost no traces of forced irony or even anything that smacks of ahistoricity. The comedy comes from much more honest means with the primary screwball character being a literal Snake Oil salesman you run across early in the game. He is a parody of himself because of his profession but you also get to see the inside track of his scams and he helps you along the way. Part of the fun is as you get accustomed to his presence seeing him go into and out of his characteristic salesman persona and how the stress of situations pushes him to speak plainly. The language is also replete with terms you don’t usually hear in modern parlance so its definitely not trying to water it down for the masses as much as you’d expect.

Beyond that I can’t think of anything that’s remotely like your typical GTA parody character. Mostly the game is played pretty straight up and the entire thematic conceit is that its the death of the old west as the future of civilization comes crashing into you. Naturally therefore you have lots of friction between people of the land and the oppression inherent to the presence of government and the spread of its domain. Naturally at one point it takes a look south of the border inside the rise of a revolutionary leader.

I’d say anyone who finds the crass tone of most GTA games off putting would find it surprising to see RDR coming from the same studio.

• Zenicetus says:

I haven’t played RDR so I don’t know if this applies, but one of the big reasons I love the Western theme for games is the retro gun models.

None of this fancy modern full auto and semi-auto stuff, no grenade launchers. Just down to the basics of revolver, shotgun, and a basic rifle. Manly guns for manly men.

Western themed games usually can’t resist adding unrealistic modified versions as you level up, and they usually toss in an episode with a Gatling gun on a wagon or something. But the shooting in games like the Call of Juarez games is still pretty basic and down to earth. It’s a nice change of pace. I don’t know how much RDR follows this format though.

cpt_freakout says:

One of my favorite games in life, with one of my favorite videogame soundtracks in life. Don’t know if it’s all rose-tinted glasses, but I would definitely play this one again just to make sure.

20. popej says:

What a joyous day this would be.

For me the turn-off was the control pad shooting, as it always is with console shooters. Playing this with a mouse and keyboard would be freaking awesome.

21. PiiSmith says:

Well might be the chance to play this thing, which was quite praised back then.
    Before I play a 1st/3rd Person Shooter with a controller please just kill me.

22. Erithtotl says:

I love the genre, and RDR had some real strong points, but the game, which I finished, was full of questionable choices as well such as:

1) Towns are mostly empty props, with maybe, 2-3 buildings tops you can actually do anything or interact with, and most of those cookie cutter versions of other towns.
    2) Immersion breaking collection elements. The game constantly expects you to be stopping and killing this animal or picking those flowers to hit whatever milestones or achievements.
    3) Immersion breaking disconnect between the plot and the game play. The plot is a pretty great adaptation of classic revisionist western material. But you just watch the plot, you don’t take part in it. It is told to you by in integrated cut scenes where the characters discuss heavy topics like life and death, family and the vanishing of the old west where you make no decisions or have any control. Then you cut to an action sequence where you shoot 50 identical people.
    (SPOILERS: Possibly the worst case of this is the final sequence. You literally shoot 50+ attacking men with trivial ease, then it cuts to the cut-scene where you are confronted with maybe a dozen or so enemies and are forced to get mowed down by them. By the games own mechanics, you should be able to switch on bullet time and kill them all, but you can’t, because the person who wrote the story was writing a classic revisionist western, and the person who was designing the game play did GTA 4 (which has the same problem). Its similar to how GTA 5 has this immersive story, but you can still run red lights and mow down civilians in the street and get away with it pretty easily.)

For a long time for me Rockstar has wanted to be cinematic storytellers, who are trapped in the violent, arcade like world of GTA 1/2. They need to have the guts to break the mold with a new game, but I doubt they will because the cost and market expectations of each new title goes up and up.

• P.Funk says:

“Immersion breaking collection elements.”

Its not really asking you to do that at all. Like most games with collection mechanics it doesn’t really care if you do them, far far less than the more recent AssCreed games even. Much less I found than AssCreed2 which was itself not awful with that element. For the most part the excitement of collection came from finding when new guns were available in the gun shop, or when you could use a new wicked costume.

Mostly the collection mechanics were there to enjoy when you ran out of plot to play and gave you an excuse to admire the fantastic scenery.

23. Someoldguy says:

I’ve been itching to try RDR since it was praised to the heavens and it became apparent that no PC version was being made. It is the only game that has had me watching the PS3 to PC streaming service. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a true remastered PC version instead.

24. Yukiomo says:

Alice, I am pretty sure that his name is Ian Videogames.

Cvnk says:

This is great news (if true) but it’s still a hangin’ offense that it took this long to even consider porting this to the PC.

• Werthead says:

Apparently the way the code was written for RDR is a total nightmare (I think someone critical left just after development) and it was judged too expensive to untangle the mess for PC alone.

A re-release on XB1 and PS4 would of course provide the impetus to do that.

• Someoldguy says:

Reminds me of the great feature Asheron’s Call 2 had, where people could start riffing on a musical instrument and when people nearby joined in, no matter what instrument they used, the tunes just wove together seamlessly. It was greatly appreciated and when begged to include it in DDO and LotRO, Turbine admitted that nobody understood how the programmer responsible had done what he did.

26. The Algerian says:

Here’s an equation you lot definetly seem to be oblivous about:

GTA/RDR+Rumor=BS

Didn’t even click the article, already knew there was virtually nothing but thin air to back it up.

27. Gordon Shock says:

(Looking at my watch), isn’t a bit late.

I don’t know about you but I manage to play 10-30 hours a week and yet my backlog is about 50 games to go and at least 25 out of those are on the same level (or higher) as RDR.

I would have love to play it 5 years ago but now I’ve got better fish to fry, not to mention all the awesome games that are upcoming.

28. ddaymace says:

I have more games to play than I have time, it’s crazy. Not only are all the classic DOS games being re-released, but also all the great new games coming out and classic genres being reborn, it’s a sort of renaissance.
    Red Dead is the kind of game that belongs on PC; it would improve the aiming, frame rate issues, and hopefully fix that annoying but where you couldn’t finish the mission where you had to lasso some guy. On my last play through I had to stop because of that glitch.
    Not sure if I’ll have time to replay it but I’d probably grab it for $30-40 bucks out of habit :) I collect games I don’t need to play so maybe that’s a bad sign :)

29. Papageno says:

This is still just a rumor, right? And if true, really, Rockstar, 6 years later? I hope they bundle in Undead Nightmare at least, for the delay.
    And it’s “them there consoles.” Get it straight! ;-)

• Werthead says:

I agree it seems unlikely, but I think several things make it believable. The first is that remasters are now massive business, delivering a lot more return than anyone was expecting. The second is that Rockstar haven’t released a new game since GTA5 in 2013, despite having half a dozen different sub-operations. Even assuming they’re working on GTA6 behind the scenes as well as more GTA Online stuff like Cunning Stunts, that still leaves two of their studios not doing anything. A RDR remake paving the way for a proper sequel would explain what they’ve been up to.

The main strike is that the codebase for the game is a mess and a remaster would require the game to be rebuilt from the ground up. But the massive sales of remasters could well justify doing that, especially given they’d sell a lot of copies for PC as well. There’s also the possibility that they could absorb those costs in the development of a sequel.

30. liquidsoap89 says:

RDR still has one of the best endings I’ve ever seen in a videogame. I’ll gladly buy the game again to see that ending once more.

31. P.Funk says:

its original release in 2010

The reminders that I’m becoming an old man are just piling on this year it seems.

32. Monggerel says:

Red Dead Redemption is certainly no Blood Meridian but it does have appeal as a charming storm of clichés and if nothing else it does let you ride a horse into the sunset.

33. wodin says:

I’m sure I read that the code is hanging together by string and that’s why there was no chance of a PC version.

34. MadPen says:

I rate this game more highly than every other Rockstar game put together. And I’m no GTA hater.

35. Voqar says:

I hope this is true since I’d love to check out this game. I’ve been told by console peasant friends that it’s a great game and it’s a setting (wild west) that’s otherwise rarely touched and not done in such detail.

I will never buy a console and get sick of the petty “exclusive” nonsense done by the console camps since there is no technical reason that a console game can’t work on PC (as part of the PC master race PC exclusives, of course, are perfectly fine…but can at least be justified by games too complex for consoles and/or controllers).

I suppose waiting for 2017 beats waiting for never.

36. fish99 says:

I’ll eat my hat* if this happens.

(assuming someone is willing to provide me with a hat**)

(**said hat must be made of chocolate)

• The Algerian says:

I’ll eat that hat regardless of anything happening or not.

37. Missing Cat says:

Thanks to Rockstar but the news was a bit predictable, wasn’t it? I mean, the moment the “highly anticipated” TV series of the re-imagining of Michael Crichton’s ‘Westworld’ is suddenly announced and getting a boost on social media, generally being talked about everywhere, my first thought was “Interesting… so NOW we’ll finally get that RDR port, now that ‘Westerns are popular again'”?? It isn’t even funny being cynical about it anymore… it’s like we should’ve had this years ago, nevermind all the missed opportunities of potentially epic *new* Spaghetti Western style RPG’s that also never happened over the years (because if an RPG doesn’t have magic, dragons or wizards in it, it isn’t an RPG, right kids?). The Fallout series was a step in the right direction but it’d be so cool to finally see a few epic gritty, atmospheric RPG’s set in the 1800’s / Victorian era to an Ennio Morricone soundtrack. RDR is one of the best console shooters ever made but also an incredibly shallow experience when you think of what it potentially could’ve been; Skyrim set in the Old West. Maybe now we might actually see some publishers willing to take the “risk”?

corinoco says:

Dear Rockstar.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEYS. ALL OF IT. HERE. AND THIS. Then give me RDR on the PC.