Steam Charts: Last Week’s Best-Sellers Today

Cos this stuff comes up in comments most every time I run one of these: these charts depict the top ten best-selling games on Steam as accumulated over the week leading up to Sunday just gone. They are not what are the top ten best-selling games at this moment in time, as seen on the front-page of Steam and which are invariably a little different. They come from this here Valve RSS feed. If there is any massaging of figures or weighing of e.g. revenue earned vs copies sold then I do not know of it, but neither can I say for certain that there is not. This is, however, pretty much all that Steam ever lets slip about what’s going on, though you can look to the guesstimates on Steam Spy if you want to try and drill down further into actual figures.

So: Steam’s ten biggest games last week. Well, nine and a half. Deus Ex has been dethroned already.

1.ARK: Scorched Earth – Expansion Pack

The paid add-on for the deathless dino survival game (see below) claims the top-spot despite some noise around the, y’know, ethics of releasing real money DLC for a base game that is still in Early Access and therefore not yet ‘finished’ in the traditional sense. I would almost rather include Counter-Strike Global Offensive in these charts once a week for every week of my life than become embroiled in that particular discussion, so I’ll leave you with the devs’ brief statement on the matter instead.

2. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Adam Jensen: The Do-Over’s reign at the top was brief. Despite coming up to twenty hours in, I’m still finding it to be a rather sterile game (oddly so, given how ornate and wonderful its visual design is) so I don’t entirely mourn this.

3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

The reason people are concerned about charging for DLC while the base game is still in early access is that they’re worried it means resources are diverted away from finishing or perfecting the main game in order to nickel’n’dime something else, and that it might mean features or polish they’ve long waited for might be delayed. I understand the argument, and exactly that has almost certainly happened to something somewhere, but in the case of ARK they’ve got such a fuckton of money and therefore resources at their disposal that I do not doubt they can be working on the main game and making add-ons simultaneously.

4.GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst

Honestly, I hadn’t heard of this before now, but I’m so in love with the ridiculous title that I don’t even want to look it up in case in shatters my glorious illusions about what this is.

5. Attack on Titan / A.O.T. Wings of Freedom

I would like to apologise unreservedly on RPS’ behalf for our tweet last week that claimed “Attack On Titan: Wings Of Freedom is like EDF but legitimately good.” This Tweet was unfair and inaccurate, and the writer responsible has been coated in honey and thrown onto a nest of fire ants. EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF

6. Grand Theft Auto V

7. ARK: Survival Evolved

Back once again because it was half priceorized in order to encourage adoption of ye aforementioned Scorched Earth expansion. Did I mention that my heart briefly leapt the first time I saw ‘Scorched Earth’ appear in my RSS feeds, believing it to be a new version of my beloved tank-bombing game from the 90s? No? Well I have now. Someone get on on that, please. No, not Team 17.

8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game of the Year Edition

A cut-price bundle of Witcher 3, last year’s best RPG, plus its various and extensive DLC. Geralt’s (presumed) swansong has been a regular ’round these parts for quite some time, so it’s no surprise that the pack is doing well. I’ve had enough of writing about it in these charts now, though. Bring on Cyberpunk, please.

9.Prison Architect

Introversion have signed, sealed and delivered their long-running jail sim game, and it spent last week discounted by some two-thirds to celebrate. Next, they’re moving on to the visually striking Scanner Sombre.

10. Dead by Daylight

(That has no relevance to anything here, I just wanted to feel better about life.)

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Gandor says:

Numbers 1, 3 and 7 are mixed up.

• DuncUK says:

It’s deliberate.

There’s more mileage in talking about the DLC or not controversy in ARK than there is in trying to find more words to type about Counterstrike. Or finding another youtube video of someone yawning.

2. Anti-Skub says:

That message from the ARK devs is fucking hilarious.

“We had to have early access for you giving us money for DLC, we didn’t feel confident that you could give us money after the full release without us fucking it up, so we’re testing out you giving us money in Early Access so that when you give us money in the future we’ll be properly prepared for taking your money.”

• Unclepauly says:

I read that 2 times and am still not sure wat am i reading

• Anti-Skub says:

My post or theirs? They tried to justify charging for DLC before the games even finished by claiming that they needed Early Access testing for their ability to charge for DLC. It’s ludicrous.

3. Anti-Skub says:

“I understand the argument, and exactly that has almost certainly happened to something somewhere”

Elite Dangerous. The perfect example of a developer releasing expansions before the base game felt remotely finished, and now work on the base game has all but halted in favour of adding new paid features.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Not quite perfect, as E:D was never released into early access. There’s a difference between a completed game that doesn’t meet all your expectations and one that is explicitly unfinished.

• Anti-Skub says:

There’s a difference between a completed game and Elite Dangerous.

• Anti-Skub says:

Whether the developers choose to call it a full release or early access makes no difference. What matters is if the game is finished in the eyes of the developer and the players. Let me ask you this, when Elite launched, do you think if you asked David Braben “So is the base game finished?” he would say yes? I don’t think so. So if he said no, how is what Elite did not comparable to Ark? Selling an unfinished game, and then bringing out paid expansions before finishing it.

The only difference between the two is the specific format of the crowd funding source they used. With Kickstarter campaigns generally releasing unfinished games on the proviso that there will be finished with ongoing development, while Early Access has ongoing development on the proviso that there will be a finished release. Doesn’t matter which way you spin in, the outcome is the same.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Nice non-sequitur.

When one’s debate partner starts slipping into logical fallacies, it’s time to step away and do something else. Have fun yelling at clouds.

• Anti-Skub says:

That’s not a non-sequitur.

If you’re going to try and grammar-top-trump your way out of an argument because you back up your own position, at least make sure you actually understand the thing you are accusing the other person of.

Nauallis says:

Yeah, I don’t really understand your argument either. Get that last word though! Go!

• limper106 says:

I’d say the logical fallacy he is committing here is probably more of a “straw man”, where he sets up an argument that didn’t actually occur and debates based on that premise, or even just stating an opinion as if it were fact.

A non sequitur would be to state a conclusion that doesn’t follow from the premise of previously stated facts.

• limper106 says:

Also I just had to say I have never commented before and only just registered to comment on this. Two years of debate classes in secondary school must be justified somehow.

• Anti-Skub says:

@limper106 It’s not a straw man argument either. For it to be a straw man argument I would have to have be implying that what I said was his argument. I did not.

Why don’t you claim it was an ad hominem now and complete the triumvirate of those three logical fallacies American kids got taught at school and now, whenever they get into an argument, instead of defending their position they just attack the other persons debate skills. Throwing out those three terms even when they don’t fit, like the debate class version of Phoenix Wright.

• limper106 says:

The straw man is that you even brought the Elite Dangerous argument up in the first place when no one was making any argument about it before. You then refute any naysayers before the argument against it is made. It’s a classic straw man. You also just made an unwarranted attack on the American education system. Are we taking this a bit personally, mate?

• limper106 says:

Also, I have no opinion worth beans about the original topic. Continue arguing at your pleasure.

• Anti-Skub says:

Two years of debate class and you still don’t understand what a straw man argument is. I’d say wherever your from, it doesn’t paint a great picture.

• Leonick says:

That’s just flat out wrong though, development on the base game as you say has not been halted. A couple new features are Horizons only but the vast majority of each Horizons update has been added to the base game as well.

4. DEspresso says:

Wait No Man Sky is gone already? What happened? Was it bad?

• ThePuzzler says:

I guess everyone who really wanted No Man’s Sky has already bought it, and all the negative word-of-mouth means that hardly anyone else is going to buy it at full price.

• Zenicetus says:

I wouldn’t call it bad, but I think many of us who bought it saw enough to get bored and bail out at around the 10-15 hour mark, so we’re on to something else. A smaller group is persevering and spending much more time in the game, enjoying it for what it is. But there aren’t enough to keep it in the Steam Top 10.

I bought it because I was interested in it as a tech demo, which is basically what it is. Not much actual game there. Ten hours for me was enough to justify the expense. Your mileage may vary. There is probably a second wave of people interested in seeing it as a tech demo too, but waiting for a big price drop.

Captain Narol says:

It’s a niche procedural chilly exploration game that was mistakenly advertised as an AAA massive space simulation, so lots of buyers got desappointed, word of mouth about it is quite mitigated and consequently sales fell down fast…

Additionally, it suffered from a smearing crusade from some gamers groups with an agenda, but enough said about that.

There’s still a small part of audience which enjoy the game freeform experience as it is and see it as a huge accomplishment despise some undeniable flaws, and I am one of them.

It’s clearly gonna become a cult game, hated by many and adored by some select few.

• Anti-Skub says:

I know you’re a fan of No Man’s Sky, so you obviously have some difficulty assessing things, but he was joking…he wasn’t actually asking what happened.

Captain Narol says:

Interesting that you equates “fan of No Man’s Sky” with “person having trouble assessing things”, as it makes it seems that it’s impossible for you that people can have different tastes about games and may enjoy a game that most don’t like.

“It’s not our differences that divide us. It’s our inability to recognize, accept and celebrate those differences.” – Audre Lorde –

It’s hard to tell if the person asking what happened to NMS was doing it in good faith or just joking, but in all cases an attempt of explanation was needed.

• DEspresso says:

For the Record I was genuinely unaware, just noticed the absence :)

• invitro says:

I equate person saying “smearing crusade from some gamers groups with an agenda” with “person having trouble assessing things”.

Captain Narol says:

@ invitro

Well, so maybe it was all in my head when a dev (the maker of “Sunless Sea” and “Fallen London”) who posted a positive review of NMS got attacked on twitter by a well-known group of gaming activists (whose name shall not be pronounced here) because of it ?

Or maybe not… Don’t believe me ? just watch :

link to weatherfactory.biz

I guess their motivation is “Ethics in Game Industry”, but clearly they have taken a side in the controversy about NMS and are campaigning against it…

Captain Narol says:

Link didn’t work :

link to weatherfactory.biz

5. Jokerme says:

The fact that ARK expansion is at the lead is good enough reason for developers to pull that sh*t more often in the future.

People are full of talk, but when it comes to action even “not spending money” is too much for them. They simply surrender to their lust for more pleasure right away.

6. Kefren says:

I’m currently playing Serious Sam 3, and the header image really reminds me of the giant sandworm I’ve just run away from.

7. Rince says:

I tried Ark when was the free weekend, but was not my cup of tea.
    Moving around and bashing things felt a bit weird. And the crafting and level system didn’t felt very engaging.

8. Chaoslord AJ says:

Sterile is a good description for Mankind Divided. Also formulaic and an unthankful part two of a trilogy.

9. coolstuff says:

You need to proofread your articles more. Some examples of errors: “which are invariably a little a different,” “has been a regularly ’round these parts”.

10. samination says:

I’m new to your site and I’m curious why you seem to dislike Dead By Daylight so much? You complain about there not being any new games in the top 10 (GTAV always being present for example), but DBD is a new IP that shows up out of nowhere and hits the top ten and you just shrug it off. I don’t get it.

Nauallis says:

Lol, clearly you don’t get it. “Africa” is a song about talking about a place you’ve never visited. The subtlety is hilarious.

Or do you just not like Toto?

• Anti-Skub says:

They don’t dislike them, they are just bored of trying to come up with a new paragraph to write about them being in the Steam top 10.

• samination says:

Alright, but why haven’t they played/reviewed it? I remember when it first came out and hit the top they just seemed to shrug it off without any interest. I guess my question is… why?

• Anti-Skub says:

Because it’s a the blog of a small group of video game journalists not a comprehensive review database of all games. They’ve written a dozen different articles on GTA. Dead By Daylight I guess just didn’t grab any of their attention…which is fair enough. I still don’t really understand why it’s so popular.

melnificent says:

Can never have enough Toto – Africa. Looking forward to next weeks chart where it is in every spot.

12. SingularityParadigm says:

“Someone get on on that, please. No, not Team 17.”

Best part. Also Toto.

13. Pizzzahut says:

Are people just buying multiple copies of GTA V now? Who the fuck doesn’t own a copy yet? It’s three years old people!!!!!!!

14. phensh23 says:

Can someone please explain to me what the hell is going on with GTAV? How is it still selling!? Surely everyone in the world who was going to get it would have done so by now.. It’s mind-blowing.

• ChipDipson says:

It could only be cheaters re-buying the game after being banned for cheating. Cheating children with their parents’ credit cards a) feel entitled enough to justify cheating in the first place, b) are willing to pay for the cheats in the first place and won’t think twice about doubling down once caught and punished.

• C0llic says:

Yeah, it’s pretty much this. Lots of people get VAC banned then re-buy it. It’s also a cheap, popular online shooter, so theres always an influx of new kids who buy it.

Comment on this story