Watch One Full Dawn Of War 3 Mission Two Ways

Our Adam got to play a preview version of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III [official site] in July, reporting back with tales of Space Marines stomping heads, weathering waves of Eldar reinforcements, over-extending and leaving his base vulnerable, and stomping around with a giant stompy mech. Good tales, Adam. If you fancy seeing the mission he played for yourself, handily the folks at Games Pot have now recorded a 50-minute video showing their attempt.

What a treat: 50 minutes of backseat gaming! 50 minute of yelling at them to watch their flanks, urging them to advance, shouting at their trivial use of the orbital laser, and calling them turtling scrubs. At least, I assume that’s why Games Pot made that video.

Heck, if you want to shout more, I’ve just noticed the folks at cheery RPS fanzine PC Gamer have recorded their own forty-minute attempt:

See, Games Pot? Forty minutes. I TOLD YOU you were turtling. This backseat gaming lark is a hoot!

Dawn of War III is due out in 2017.

From this site

1. Ur-Quan says:

Who was plaing in the first video? A trained monkey?

Now I get why RTS is a dying genre. It seems the average gamer is now too dumb to control more than a single unit…

• Artist says:

Wait a sec… You CAN control more than a single unit? Why nobody ever told me…???

• Yontevnknow says:

I thought whoever was playing, had startred to get then hang of things, commander upfront, tactical marines supporting the tank in the middle, snipers in back….or it could have just been due to his units engaging at optimal range automatically.

They could just be new to the genre and series, and have no idea that certain units counter others, or what targets to prioritize.

• captainparty says:

It’s excellent when people expect game reviewer,KS, or the average player, to be super competitive and play perfectly at a new game. I want more of this.

• captainparty says:

It’s also excellent that autocorrect mangled that sentence and I can’t edit it.

2. Zekiel says:

I think “cheery RPS fanzine PC Gamer” will never stop being funny :-)

3. Maxheadroom says:

Im still sad they moved away from the small squad tactics of DoW2. It doesn’t look bad but good RTSs are 10 a penny these days.

What annoys me more though is Ive been posting on RPS for years and I’ve always been the “Tomato Man”, now all of a sudden I’m the wobbly green thing?? What gives??

• Christo4 says:

You still look like a tomato with wings to me mister tomato

4. thetruegentleman says:

Both these players seem kinda awful: who ignores the resource points literally *right next* to the damn base?

5. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I.. think it’d have been better to not use the character of Gabriel Angelos instead of implementing him like this. I can only lead to negative comparisons. Even his portrait is terrible.

6. Hellraiserzlo says:

That looks boring, they should have stayed with the smaller squads, directional cover, more micro then macro, the actually good animations, this just looks so generic and mediocre.

• dashausdiefrau says:

either that, or they should do something that actually resembles war.

It is 2016, and units are still going pew-pew 20 meter from each other while standing still. Eugen systems should make Wargame: Warhammer 40K.

• klops says:

I don’t think you try to make a realistic war gamewhen you have 40k as the setting. It’s a game where modern super soldiers fight against orks and demons in Napoleonic era formations standing upright on an open field.

• Asurmen says:

Why? To any of that. 40K hasn’t really ever been about small squads, and that cover didn’t really add much to a 40K game.

You need both micro and macro for a game of this scope.

The animations are a bit naff though. So floaty and fast.

• captainparty says:

I’m guessing you’ve never played 40k, where cover is one of the most important things in the game? Especiall the classic 2nd edition when small squads were what everyone used?

• Asurmen says:

I’ve massively played 40K. It was hugely important in 2nd Ed because it was a hit modifier because of the % it covered the model from the firer. It helped everyone.

Every edition since then, cover has played less of an impact as they changed it to another type of save that doesn’t stack with armour/invulnerable saves, as it makes the game more dynamic.

But we’re talking about a computer game, which is real time as opposed to the tactical turn based table top. Direction cover of that type doesn’t fit the 40K computer game model too well, especially since said cover is so easily destroyed as well.

7. Christo4 says:

I’ve been thinking about what seems wrong with this game compared to the previous one and i think i got it!

It’s like they went from the star wars movies 4,5 and 6 to the 3D animated series. The difference in movement and style is the same.