Bif! Street Fighter V Adds Illuminati VP Urien This Month

We’re almost at the end of the content roadmap Capcom laid out for the first season of Street Fighter V [official site] updates. Since February they’ve added newbits including a story mode and five new characters, and a sixth is the last to come this season. This month’s new pugilist will be Urien, who I’m told bears the job title ‘Vice President of Illuminati’. The Illuminati must be far smaller than I’d thought if even the VP does hands-on field work – or maybe this is recreational? Anyway, check out his moves:

No, Urien does not fight in his pants this time. That suit definitely isn’t proper PE kit either so I assume his Illuminatmum wrote him a note. Capcom say about this fella:

“Urien returns to Street Fighter V, donning a pinstriped suit and is often seen with a sinister smile when he hits opponents with his powerful limbs and violent combos. He uses his slow moving projectiles to pressure opponents and get them to do his bidding. A master of manipulating ki, his signature Aegis Reflector, one of the 66 Illuminati secret arts, is back and allows him to control the pace of the match.”

Urien has appeared in Street Fighter V’s story before, which also means modders have fiddled around to play with him whenever they please, but this’ll put him out there properly for everyone. Capcom haven’t said exactly when Urien will arrive, as they’re saving the September update’s release date announcement for the Tokyo Game Show next week. Other newbits are due in that update too.

Remember that Capcom’s plan for SFV is to keep updating one single version for free, rather than their usual trick of selling Super and Mega and Turbobiff and Championship and and Nosegnawing and Dogbursting Editions. This may be the end of season 1 but presumably another will follow. How’ve you found it? What more would you have wanted?

From this site

1. Kefren says:

I just couldn’t get into Street Fighter 4, despite many attempts. My years of playing Streetfighter 2 Turbo (arcade) didn’t seem to help at all. I think it’s because there are so many systems, moves, combos, all sorts of things going on in SF4 and 5, that I couldn’t grasp it, and it felt like work rather than fun. Even though I could probably ignore most of those things it still feels like you’re missing out then. Whereas with Streetfighter 2 Turbo in the arcades I quickly learnt the moves and then it was just practice and skill in using them, rather than system layered on top of system. When I’m rich (and grown up) I’d love an SF2 machine in my house.

(I was also a bit of a Body Blows addict, despite the horrendous Amiga loading times and the unfairness of the characters – we had to ban people from playing two of them).

• Kefren says:

PS In the cover image tehre’s a guy on the right who seems to be levitating by farting pink triangles. A friend of Dhalsim?

• ButteringSundays says:

Unfortunately (for folks like me and you) modern fighting games are serious hobbies – the kinds of games you can’t even play online until you’ve clocked 300 hours, unless you like playing the roll of punching bag.

This has always been frustrating for me, really I need a group of friends that enjoy them, that are all as terrible as I am.

• Baines says:

That is a particular issue with Street Fighter 5, which is relatively lacking in single player content. You either play online, have local friends that you want to play, or you don’t play much at all.

SF5 doesn’t even have a regular arcade (vs CPU) or story mode. The AI for CPU fights is pretty bad as well, as it really seems to break down into “cakewalk” easy and “reacts to button inputs with 50% damage combos” hard. The in-between settings seem to be more just an increased chance that it will hit you with a combo. It simply isn’t fun to fight the SF5 AI, not even by the low standards of fighting game AI battles. This is compounded by the modes where you fight the CPU themselves being poor.

• Couchfighter says:

Just need to point out that SFV does indeed have a proper story mode now, cheesy and cringy in parts as it may be. You can also fight vs AI solo matches.

Not that I would actually recommend anyone to do so, because what you say about the CPU opponents is true, it randomly switches between being either a punching bag or an input reading, max damage punishing GOD. Not particularily satisfying to play against.

• Couchfighter says:

While certainly true for a lot of fighting games, I feel SFV is perhaps one of the easiest to get started fighting online with. You do need to know what buttons to press, but the execution barrier is much lower than pretty much any other fighting game out there.

I currently have 261 hours of SFV on Steam, and I feel like I can hold my own online, and I think I’ve spent less than an hour total in offline modes including the training room.

300 hours required to even consider playing online in SFV is very misleading to say. It absolutely helps to have a friend or more who are roughly at the same skill levels as yourself to practice with, though.

• Chillicothe says:

Given his complete dominance of his own will, I’d say he’d do well in on-line match-ups’ mindgames.

*from a 90 hour Super Silver player of a non-Ryu character*

• shde2e says:

On a related note, does anyone know a fighting game that is easy to get into for a complete beginner?

I’ve tried some of the classic “starter” ones like SF4 and Skullgirls, but they still overwhelm me with their overly complex control scheme, requirement to memorize sizable movesets from quite a few characters (though SG is better in this), and a complete failure to ease newer players into the game.

Even if a game has a good theoretical tutorial (SG again), it often leaves me baffled and paralyzed in the actual game. Which is a shame, since it seems fun once you get into it.

• welverin says:

Maybe try something old, say from ten to twenty years ago.

GOG has Street Fighter Alpha 2. Seems to be the only older SF on there or Steam. Now, if you own a console you have more options depending on which one(s) you own.

• shde2e says:

I’ll have a look at it, though the artstyle seems a bit… dated. But since Street Fighter is considered the Granddaddy of modern fighting games, i’m afraid itll just suffer from the same problems :/

• Emeraude says:

Yeah, if it’s the control scheme you’re having issues with, it’s unlikely to solve that.

I’m trying to think of a game that would fit a similar niche to Super Smash Bros. on PC and drawing a blank.

• shde2e says:

I’ve yet to find one, so I kinda doubt any even exist :/

The closest I can think of are Smash Bros (not on PC obviously) and Divekick (which seems a bit simpler then what i’m looking for, but might have to try it anyway).

2. Baines says:

Data miners found Urien’s SF3 thong in the game code back in July, so it is either his alternate story outfit or premium DLC. Assuming male characters don’t suffer the risk of last-minute censorship, that is.

As for the VP of the Illuminati doing hands on field work, he has a grand total of two fights in the full story mode. One because someone got on his nerves, and the other because he was testing a product. The key thing about Urien is that he’s not actually important. He thinks he’s important, and acts like he’s important, but he’s always second fiddle to other powers and particularly his brother. That’s how it was in SF3, and that is how it is in SF5.

• MisterFurious says:

“Assuming male characters don’t suffer the risk of last-minute censorship, that is.”

You’re an idiot.

• Emeraude says:

If there’s no thong alt, my little sister is going to be pissed. Wrecking people with “thong-man” was her favorite way of playing Third Strike.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

How does his jacket cling to his waist like that?

Oh. Illuminati.

• shde2e says:

Presumably he borrowed some material from his female colleagues.

4. Emeraude says:

For a second I read “content roadmap” as “contempt roadmap”… which was strangely fitting on several levels.