Hand Of Fate 2: Sarky Wizardguy’s Revenge

The Dealer, surely one of the best game villains of recent years, is back. I don’t even know the guy’s name, to be honest. Does he even have one? Doesn’t matter. For he is my NEMESIS. The great wizardry of solo CCG vs RPG Hand of Fate [official site] was that you were faced throughout by a more-or-less evenly-matched opponent. The guy didn’t do much in terms of outright acts of evil, or even much in the way of overtly wicked scenery-chewing: it’s just that he was trying really hard to beat me, with an effective line in downplayed psychological warfare as he did. And now he’s back. He wants revenge. I.e. he wants to play cards again. And this time it seems an empire is at stake.

There isn’t an enormous amount to be gleaned from the latest footage from upcoming sequel Hand Of Fate 2, but the suggestion is that it’ll build upon what was the weakest part of the first game, the third person slashy-bashy action sequences that were triggered by certain cards. The scope and story appears to have widened beyond random bandit encounters and into something involving armies and empires, and our nameless, flint-eyed nemesis is somehow involved.

I’m game, basically. I’m less interested in the action stuff and more in how they’ve evolved the whole conversation-based emnity system. Dare I hope it’s more reactive than before, less canned and repetitious? It already did a good job of masking its loops, and hopefully it’s gone even further in that direction.

The press release doesn’t say anything about that side of things, but notes that The Dealer will be training you, a new heroine, to defeat the first game’s unnamed protagonist, who has now become the apparently despotic head of the empire we see in the trailer. There are also going to be companion characters in the action sequences, with their own storylines. Can’t quite envisage how that’s gonna work, but interested to see how more ‘voices’ in what was formerly mano-a-mano verbiage will play out.

Hand of Fate 2 is due ‘Q1’ next year, which hopefully means the right side of Easter.

From this site

1. Rane2k says:

“The king of scales will lick the fat from your bones.”

Hand Of Fate really surprised me, and I put a lot of hours into it, one of the best games of last year.

I think its good that they expand the action sequences, as the old ones were getting samey after a while. So if they can mix it up a little more it might give the game even more lasting power.

Dorga says:

I find the English use of mano a mano funny, it actually means little by little.

• That guy says:

It actually means hand to hand

Dorga says:

yeah that’s the litteral meaning, but it’s not used that way.

• mike2R says:

As someone once said: “We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.”

(I always assumed it meant ‘man to man’)

• MisterFurious says:

Yeah, it’s really funny when people use a phrase the way it literally means and not the way that you use it. What fools.

• Zanchito says:

Spaniard here: actually, “mano a mano” is correctly used here, although a bit poetically. It refers to the personal and direct confrontation of two characters, so “hand to hand” sounds fine to me.
          Just for trivia, it’s one of those rare sentences that translates literally from/to spanish/english, both syntactically and semantically. “Mano” = “hand” , “a” = “to”.

• Targaff says:

Way to be that guy.

cpt_freakout says:

That’s interesting, I’m from a Spanish-speaking country and it means exactly ‘head to head’, at least in my context (middle class, mostly). I’ve heard less people use it as time goes by, though. May I ask where you’re from? For ‘little by little’ we would use ‘poco a poco’ or something like that.

• GrumpyCatFace says:

It’s latin, actually. Mano e mano – man to man.

• Targaff says:

No it’s not, actually. The Spanish “mano” derives from the Latin manus, but Latin itself used the phrases “comminus pugnare” (fight hand to hand) or “manum conserere” (engage in close combat).

• Zanchito says:

This person is right. “Man” = “hombre” , “mano” = “hand”.

• shde2e says:

In english it’s used as “man to man” though, as a sort of “you and me, here and now, bring it.”
            I Guess those dastardly Brits didn’t just plunder resources but also vocabularies when they conquered half the planet. :)

• KingFunk says:

Was this a joke I didn’t get? Did you Google and find this false information? As pointed out by others, it is unlikely Latin speakers used such a phrase and if they did it would be something more like ‘Homo ad hominem’ or perhaps ‘Homo homini’. The Latin for ‘man’ is ‘Homo’ like in ‘Homo sapiens’ etc.

Now that I think about it, I quite like the idea of replacing ‘mano a mano’ with ‘homo homini’…

• KingFunk says:

Also, the Latin preposition ‘e’ means ‘out of’ or ‘away from’, not to.

“People called Romans, they go, the ‘ouse!” etc etc

3. Gothnak says:

I liked everything about Hand of Fate, apart from the combat, which sort of made the rest of the game pointless so i didn’t stick with it for long. Hopefully the hints here is that it might be more strategic or something?

yhancik says:

“Hand of Fate” sounds like the kind of title you’d get if you fed a corpus of all games titles to a neural network and asked it to generate new titles.

Minsc_N_Boo says:

I picked up Hand of Fate in the last steam sale. While the combat is simple and repetative, I absolutely loved it! It managed to (briefly) lure me away from The Witcher 3, so that must mean it is good :-)

6. Father Dagon says:

I’m really hoping there’s a second layer to the ‘mano-a-mano’ callout at the end of the article… a layer like this link to youtube.com

7. Zekiel says:

I sadly gave up on Hand of Fate since it was overheating my PC :-( Seemed like a fun game though.