Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor Cleans Up For Release

Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor [official site] made Alice swoon at the idea of cleaning up rubbish in a colourful and bustling spaceport. That’s probably because it looks like a brighter and happier Bernband. Well, good news for Alice and anyone else in love with the creator’s gifs – it’s coming out next week. Come see what if looks like in motion.

You’ll play as an alien girlbeast who has a “municipally-subsidized trash incineration job” on the planet of Xabran’s Rock. You dream of one day leaving it all behind. Your days are spent getting lost in the alleyways, plazas and streets of the port city, while finding trash to incinerate and food to eat. It looks like you’ll also be able to gamble at the bazaar’s “lottoshrines”. But the developer, Sundae Month, is also dropping hints of a grander “anti-adventure” prompted by a floating skull that starts to follow you everywhere.

Suffer the Curse! Stick your scentflaps where you shouldn’t, and you may just walk away with an ancient cranial entity haunting your every waking moment! Consult local Necresses, pray to the Nine Goddesses, purchase ritual objects, and rub the giant sword to balance your personal luck favorably! Maybe that will make the whispering stop!

It looks very pretty, doesn’t it? I haven’t wandered about in a labyrinthine futuristic city that looks this colourful since else Heart.break(). And I love when games recreate the feeling of walking through a busy market in a strange, foreign land. Who else is looking forward to picking up some litter?

Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor is coming out on Steam and itch.io on September 16.

From this site

1. cloudnein says:

Totally enjoying the beta, even thought I often get confused, I relish the confusion of being in this totally different world…Such a lovingly-designed game!

2. ButteringSundays says:

I do kinda wish it was first-person like Bernband (it’s an immersion thing for me), but I still think it looks captivating and look forward to playing it.

john_silence says:

First-person would be cool too but looking at the video 3rd-person seems to make sense navigation-wise.

I love this faux-pixel style, filled with shaders and graphical wizardry; with so much nuance and evocation crammed in a scene, it’s basically a Pointillist revival.

I can only echo InfamousPotato’s words below – thanks Brendan!

InfamousPotato says:

A moment ago, I had no idea that this existed. Now, I have a delightful Bernband-like world to look forward to! Thanks, Brendan.

• Rizlar says:

I love how Bernband-like is now a legitimate genre. Anyhoo, this looks really flippin good. Hopefully the ‘you feel hungry’ messages in the video don’t betray shallow survival game grasping a la No Man’s Sky.

4. G-Lord says:

I’ll keep an eye on this one, thanks. Sadly, I bounced off else Heart.break() after around 2h, even though I liked a lot of its ideas.

5. poliovaccine says:

Looks like an excellent little william s. burroughs character simulator.. but really, I do find it sort of awe inspiring when a game can be fun by simulating an ordinary job. Like Viscera Cleanup Detail haha. Was just reminiscing about the surprising fun of that other custodial sim yesterday.. is that a developing subgenre too?? Alongside “bernbandlike?”

6. thelastpointer says:

I love everything about this game, can’t wait for it to come out.