Rev Your Chainsaws: Doom Finally Adding Deathmatch

Shhh. Do you hear that? Listen carefully. Yes, it’s the sound of Bethesda trying to breath life into Doom’s [official site] multiplayer. At long last the game is getting a Deathmatch mode and private matches. They’re coming in Free Update 3, so all of these goodies won’t cost you a thing. Bethesda have teased us with a brief Deathmatch trailer:

That’s a lot of blood-spray and chainsaws, so it seems the mode hopes to stay true to its name. As for private matches, they’ll give players the ability to create their own multiplayer rules. You’ll be able to set match time and score limits, and toggle demons and power weapons on or off.

Bethesda are keeping mum on a release date but do say we can expect the update at the end of September. Before then, on September 13th at 7pm BST, id Software’s Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin will host a livestream featuring live gameplay of all three new features on the Xbox Twitch.

Alec reviewed Doom’s multiplayer back in May and thought it was decently meh. Since then, id Software have been working to both free updates and a series of paid multiplayer DLC that, so far, has added mainly new maps, mobs, and gear, while doing little to improve the overall experience, leaving id multiplayer fans a little sour. Could this new, free update be id Software’s way of drawing players back to Doom multiplayer?

Beyond this, they’re planning another free update adding Arcade Mode, which Bethesda briefly explain is “an upcoming competitive addition to the game’s critically acclaimed campaign mode”.

In case you missed out, Doom is half-price in the Humble Store sale right now (which gives a Steam key).

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Ham Solo says:

Now just loose the loadout system and I’m game.

2. Cimeries says:

I played a fair bit of this shortly after launch and found it surprisingly fun. Maybe that’s just because I’ve not been deep into that flavour of multiplayer FPS since Halo Reach, but I thought it was a lot better than people gave it credit for.

This update is essential though, Doom needs deathmatch.

• Janichsan says:

I agree that DOOM’s MP wasn’t (isn’t) bad, but it’s far from special. It simply feels somewhat like they picked the most popular ingredients from other games’ MP mode, slapped some hellish paint job on it and called it day.

It’s solid, but totally unoriginal (and certainly not the old-school arena shooting experience many had hoped for).

3. Faults says:

Wait, it’s taking them five months after launch to add deathmatch to a Doom game? What?

• qrter says:

And what was multiplayer before they decided to add deathmatch..?

I personally have zero interest in Doom’s multiplayer, so I never even loaded it up.

• Caiman says:

They had Team Deathmatch which was close enough, but I always felt like I was letting the team down every time I died (I specialty of mine, it would seem). The other modes were also team-based affairs involving shooting stuff I guess, I didn’t try them.

• thelastpointer says:

That was my first thought too.

• Buggery says:

I’m forced to assume that standard Doom multiplayer consists of cuddling and kissing demons because REALLY NOW? Deathmatch should be step one of a multiplayer shooter, with everything else coming after you’ve managed to make that fun.

4. Distec says:

How on Earth did you release a Doom game in 2016 with no deathmatch included.

I’m not saying I’d even play it, but that’s god damn absurd.

5. crazyd says:

I want deathmatch on the SP game maps (with no loadouts or unlocks or demon runes or any of that nonsense). Quite a few levels (or at least parts of them) feel like they were MADE for arena deathmatch. Hard to tell from 30 secs, but in this vid, it looks like a clusterfuck of too many people on too small a map. SP Maps are sized great for a lot of people to run around killing in the old school manner.

6. Atomic Playboy says:

Meh.

Google Toxikk if you’re looking for a proper arena shooter.

7. Zulthar says:

I wish they would have scrapped the painfully average multiplayer completely and just added more to the lovely campaign.

• Jalan says:

110% agree there.

In a perfect scenario, after the multiplayer beta didn’t exactly set the world ablaze, there should’ve been work put toward pulling it out of Doom entirely and just releasing it as a (possibly F2P?) stand-alone. That way the more enjoyable content in the campaign might’ve gotten DLC that gave us ANYTHING while we wait for the inevitable sequel to roll out.

8. zuke says:

great news, but im sooo afraid its gonna be a massive update because in my rural area i can only get a 1.5Mbs connection so thanks to the 1 disc i got in the box (3.3Gig) it took a week to download the rest of the game (53.4Gig), if its another massive update i doubt i’ll do it, maybe if Bethesda didnt cheap out on disc’s i might not be so worried.

Comment on this story