Halo? Is It PC You’re Looking For? Halo 5: Forge Is Out

Forge! Huah! What is it good for? More than you might think. Halo 5: Forge has arrived free on Windows 10 and while it’s not full Halo 5 with the FPS’s campaign and all its multiplayer jazz and whatnot, it’s more than the level editor it initially seems. I mean, yes, it does have a level editor, but also it also supports 16-player online Halo action with the Arena multiplayer mode and player-made modes and minigames. Forge is a bit like a basic Garry’s Mod, and that’s no bad thing for a freebie.

So! Forge has a sandbox where you can slap down and piece together objects to build levels and fiddle with game logic using scripts. Creations are shared across the Windows 10 and Xbone versions, and played online by up to 16 people. Forge is also packing Halo 5’s Arena multiplayer mode with its maps. Here, have a gander:

What Forge doesn’t have is matchmaking. You’ll need to play through custom game lobbies, which makes it all fiddlier and a bit of pain to organise if you’re not playing with pals. You can’t find or join games that are already going either; that’ll come in a future update.

If you fancy a crack, Halo 5: Forge is out for Windows 10 in the Microsoft Store. (Or you might need to get it through this bundle if that doesn’t work?)

Now that Microsoft are bringing their big Xbone games to Windows 10 too, presumably the next Actual Proper Halo will come round our way too. I believe the whole thing’s about a surly uncle babysitting a sexy computer? The last Actual Proper Halo we got was Halo 2, though the (recently-cancelled) free-to-play Halo Online intended for Russia has been opened up and expanded by modders.

Remember how Microsoft originally called this Forge – Halo 5: Guardians Edition? What silly sausages!

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. DaftPunk says:

Does microsoft never heard of logic before? They are releasint fifth HALO game on PC,but they never released Halo 3,4 and Reach.. Not getting 2 cents from me >:=)

2. mrentropy5 says:

Took me 23 seconds for the title to impact. Then I LOL’ed.

3. dangermouse76 says:

Hopefully RPS forums will have a group for this. I have about 3-4 friends that will download this, but it would be great to hook up with some of you guys.

4. wsjudd says:

Can anyone else download it? It says ‘currently unavailable’ for me :(

• dangermouse76 says:

downloaded it last night 36gig. I did have to have a Microsoft account and by extension a PC Xbox account though.

• wsjudd says:

Here’s how it looks for me. I have Windows 10 AE installed, a MS account, etc. etc. link to i.imgur.com

• dangermouse76 says:

Do you have the anniversary update it’s required I think ? If yes then I’m out of ideas.

• dangermouse76 says:

Two last things to try and I give up.

On ArsTechnica someone suggested trying the halo site link:

Going directly through the store I got the same unavailable message… however… if you go through the Halo Forge website it has a link which will take you to the download.

link to halowaypoint.com

Lastly I actually downloaded the Halo 5: forge Bundle via the store ( UK ).Instead of the standalone software.

• Morgan Joylighter says:

I had the same thing, downloading the Anniversary Update allowed me to download Halo 5 then. Unless you’ve been keeping up with automatic updates it could be a 15+ GB download just for that onto of the 35GB for Halo 5 so don’t expect to be up and running right away unless you have uber fast internet, and set aside an hour or two for the update where you will not need your PC. I wish I had realized this ahead of time as I use my PC as a white noise generator but MS decided to finish installing the update at 4 in the morning and ruined my night and I never got to play Halo out of it (maybe tonight?)

5. qrter says:

So this is to see if there’s enough interest in new Halo on PC, I guess..?

• Rich says:

This is Microsoft being “serious about PC gaming”.

• Scripten says:

I remember when Halo had a really great singleplayer/coop experience, perfect for couch gaming. Since MS has pretty much ripped that part out of the game, they might as well port the only remaining good qualities of the series to PC, since it fits more with the “style” of PC, sans LAN partying.

Also, I swear this post is only about 10% salt.

• Gunsmith says:

Halo never had a great singleplayer. tbh Halo never had a great anything.

• Scripten says:

• Solidstate89 says:

Your edge has been noticed. Have a good day.

• SaintAn says:

You’re using edge wrong. You kids need to learn what words mean before you try to use them.

• Morgan Joylighter says:

It had a great console LAN experience whose earlier renditions IMO have yet to be equaled and which is still going fairly strong though the emphasis has shifted heavily towards matchmade play with the graphics being too heavy for splitscreen and getting 8-16 xBox Ones together is not easy for many people.

• Kaeoschassis says:

It was the single-player experience I loved Halo for, back when it was actually sort of a pc game a little bit. Never forget.

Nauallis says:

The sad/hilarious part is that they removed splitscreen co-op to optimize the game at 60 fps standard, because peeps were bitching about it. Oh well. And now it’s a 90 GB install on my xbox. WTF!

• Scripten says:

Not that I would likely play Halo 5’s campaign in coop, as it’s by far the worst in the series (especially the absolutely dreadful “boss fights”), but the lack of the option is a huge slap in the face. Halo 1 is still immensely enjoyable to play with friends.

Nauallis says:

Well, I completely disagree with you, but that’s how opinions work.

• Scripten says:

Disagree with which part? I could understand enjoying some of the campaign. The beginning was strong and I enjoyed both the writing and the gameplay. It pretty much stopped being any fun for me after you start running into WoW-Expy McInstaKill. The entire game just felt less mature than much of the prior material, which likely had to do with the sudden T rating.

• Morgan Joylighter says:

I found it to be an incredibly epic campaign inexplicably ruined by one of the most mind-bogglingly bad design decisions I’ve ever seen, and I’m sure you know exactly what I mean on the latter…someone really high up in 343/Microsoft must have been REALLY attached to that enemy.

• Scripten says:

I pretty much had to slog through the game once Pretentious Skullface showed up. The gameplay was ruined and the story just became a massive wankfest that I couldn’t take even remotely seriously any more. In my mind, it was even worse than Halo 3’s writing. By the time they had you fighting four of them at once, I was about ready to just stop playing.

Nauallis says:

I have a handful of friends with whom I’ve been lucky enough to play every Halo game in co-op; we played Halo 5 start to finish in co-op, and it was substantially more engaging and fun than all of the times that I’ve tried it in singleplayer. In co-op the fireteam AI is spectacularly stupid, in singleplayer it’s… well, it’s not great. We only sort of paid attention to the story, which as soon as Warden Eternal shows up the second time starts being totally absurd. That third time was bs, I do agree there. Even in co-op that boss battle was shit. We were playing on Heroic, and reset the checkpoint a lot. Halo 5 plays better, but Halo 4 had a better campaign.

I really wish that Halo: Reach ran better on the Xbox One, because that had the best campaign in the series.

Halo 1 is fun only for nostalgia, and only because of the anniversary update. Don’t let me spoil your fun though!

• Scripten says:

Interesting. I figured the actual coop experience would have been roughly as you described it. But yeah, that design decision entirely ruined the game for me, both on a gameplay and as a catalyst for the quickly plummeting quality of writing. I’d play everything up to that part happily.

I actually really miss the sense of mystery and vastness in the original trilogy. (Though 2 and 3 were nowhere near as compelling as the first to me.) Once the curtains started peeling back on the history of the Forerunners and whatnot, the entire universe just felt so much smaller.

And no worries. We all have different opinions. I enjoy hearing what other people have to say, as long as they’re respectful. Cheers!

• Scripten says:

Actually, on further thought, I can definitely get behind Reach being a superb game. It made the Covenant a threatening enemy again and expanded the universe without doing what…. well, what 343 has been doing to it.

Nauallis says:

What really ruined Halo 5 for me was that the servers that run multiplayer seem to all be on the west coast or the east coast. I’m in a major city in MST, and inexplicably my ping is always upwards of 50ms on Halo 5, whereas for games like Destiny and Titanfall it’s usually single digits to mid 20ms. Really ruins the game when my everyday experience is laggy connections. If it were like that in the other games that I play, I’d be happy to blame and troubleshoot my connection, but it’s only Halo 5. So… blech. And the lack of custom Firefight. Spartan Ops was great too, and that’s missing. Oh well.

• WyldFyr says:

What Boss fights ???
            … Oh… yeah, nevermind.

6. Inu says:

I think there is a good chance this could become what a lot of Dev’s use as an “idea playground” they can steal ideas from.

And yes the gauge interest. Which there will be little of unless it’s optimized to the max for crapzor PC’s.

7. vorador says:

You need the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 to download it, so there’s that.

For a freebie is not bad, but it’s annoying that MS is basically going out of their way to release gimped versions of their games, then compensate by making them free, no strings attached.

Wish they released the full package and stop doing weird experiments.

• Morgan Joylighter says:

They’re just basically practicing, since they haven’t been doing this for a while. I find that admirable. Going forward it seems they intent to release full versions of all/most of their future first party games, including the next Forza and Halo.

8. DailyFrankPeter says:

Not sure what the actual numbers for Win 10 are, but I’m not switching just for this game! Good to see Microsoft removing itself from the FPS competition on older platforms – makes space for other studios and other systems perhaps.

• anon459 says:

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’ll never be able to install another Microsoft product unless I somehow get the money to buy a separate computer for it that never touches the internet. I’m not letting that spyware anywhere near my main machine.

9. zxcasdqwecat says:

Hi doggie.

10. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

I was meh and bah with win 10 so went back to win 7. So… Not for me I guess.

Comment on this story