Mos Eisley Recreated By Obsidian Artists Just For Fun

Spaceports are en vogue today. Some environment artists at Obsidian have thrown together a faithful and playable recreation of the docking bay from Mos Eisley using Unreal Engine 4, along with some other places in the desert town (including an eerily empty cantina). It’s a personal project, they say, so nothing to do with anything the company is currently creating. But as something you can download and walk around inside, it looks pretty swish. Although, fair warning, it’s a 7 gigabyte download.

Here’s what docking bay 94 looks like, complete with Millennium Falcon.

And here’s the cantina and some bits of the outside city.

Jason Lewis, an artist at Obsidian, started working on the project in his free time, before inviting others in the company to come help. It started out with just the docking bay but as the environment grew he enlisted more artists and this is what they’ve ended up with.

You can download the demo here if you want to have a wander around yourself. There are some X-Wings, an Imperial Shuttle and a secret weapon to find too. If that link doesn’t work there are a clatter of mirror links in the video descriptions on YouTube. The creators warn that loading times can be quite long, as it isn’t optimised very well. But in terms of something just done for shits and giggles, it looks very shiny. You can tell they had a lot of fun with it too, considering they made the credits by filling a whole room with their own portraits as Star Wars characters.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Andy_Panthro says:

Ah, brings back memories of Dark Forces.

Perhaps Obsidian could remake that series? (or some other Star Wars type of thing in the same vein…)

2. milligna says:

Just for fun? Oh c’mon. Obviously a pitch for more than just fun was in mind!

3. Zallgrin says:

This is horrible and amazing.

Horrible, because I begin craving another Star Wars RPG by Obsidian and amazing because it’s mindblowing how good this looks. EA, throw Obsidian a bone and let them make another RPG, pretty pretty please..?

4. aircool says:

Hmmm… it’s obviously being played with a console controller, and there’s things like motion blur to make 30fps look a bit smoother.

Would anyone choose to make a demo like the one seen here for a console? Perhaps, I don’t know, I’m not an expert, but it does look like someone has a game pitch in mind.

If they do end up making a game, please don’t let us get a shitty (space) port…

5. GenialityOfEvil says:

Disney DMCA takedown imminent.

6. DefaultVillain says:

Yup, that was definitely a swift kick to the nostalgia bits.

If it was an actual official pitch, it would be NDA’d and sewn up tight. I’m sure that they hope the proof of concept gets someone thinking too.

The accuracy of the blaster rifle did make me chuckle.

7. Wormerine says:

Looks nice, though what I really want is Obsidian making a StarWars RPG using PoE engine. I just like my RPGs isometric. Unless they are Witcher 3. Or Deus Ex.

But really. KOTOR2 was such an interesting, unfinished game. I really want Obsidian to get another stab at it.

8. C0llic says:

It would be great to see the star wars license used for an RPG, or just a narrative game (even if it’s just an fps with some space turret shooting). MMO’s and online shooters don’t scratch he itch.

9. PsychoX says:

“But as something you can download and walk around inside”

I could download it, but it most likely won’t run well (due to a crappy Intel HD) so I won’t be able to walk around in it.

10. rumrogers says:

I love this! Looking forward to running around in it. Though, on a high level, it makes me sad to see all of this Star Wars tech sitting around and no one doing anything interesting with it. At least, not yet, anyway.

11. InternetBatman says:

Obsidian is a company that just has some really devoted people. One of the best levels in Pillars, Raedric’s Hold, was made over the weekend by two devs.

Ben King says:

I can just BARELY get this going on my PC, but it’s still fun to poke around.

13. criskywalker says:

Better than No Man’s Sky!

Lars Westergren says:

Ah, the cantina, where Greedo shot first. So many memories.

15. Isendur says:

Dark Forces 3 maybe, please?

16. HoboDragon says:

Either they are super nerds with too much time on their hands if they program on their spare time, or, as someone else mentioned, it is a very subtle pitch.
    PS: I can’t download it – the download limit for this file is exceeded :( (even if I put into my own GDrive)

17. krakead says:

Shame you can’t get into the Falcon, but there is a nice little easter egg on the entry ramp :)

18. theapeofnaples says:

Not into Star Trek, sorry.

19. apa says:

Don’t they have any work to do! But seriously, talented people as they are capable of doing this just on the side.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Does anyone know of a torrent for this file? Right now you can’t download it.

21. Scandalon says:

And the original dev thread on polycount:
    link to polycount.com

(I’m not a bot, I swear ;)

22. Uberwolfe says:

Cool. Now let me walk around it in VR PLEASE!

Comment on this story