Cast Your Lines For Starbound’s First Content Update

Starbound’s [official site] been out for almost two months now, so surely you’ve had your fair share of space exploration, house-remodeling, colony-building, and base-invading. Don’t think you can rest easy just yet. Chucklefish is out to stir things up for you intrepid explorers with Starbound’s first content update.

The patch is adding a bunch of new features like fishing and Novakid villages, along with your run-of-the-mill bug fixes.

Fishing is undoubtedly the highlight of the new content. Players will be able to fish in all sorts of ocean environments, including icy arctic seas, toxic cesspools, and oceans of magma. There are two tiers of craftable fishing rods that’ll be suited to these different locations. All-told, there are 48 types of fish for you to catch, including rare fish that can cough up exclusive fishing rod and lure upgrades among other rewards.

Going in hand with fishing, the team has added a convenient Collections interface that lets you keep track of all of the odds and ends you’ve collected over your adventures. That includes fish, pets, figurines, recipes, fossils, and bugs.

Lastly in the realm of new content is the addition of friendly Novakid villages, where you’ll find new Novakid-themed furniture and assorted knickknacks that you can take back and decorate your own home base with. The developers also threw in a Relocator that lets you drag non-aggressive creatures out of your way.

Starbound was released this summer, and we quite liked it. You can find the full list of updates and fixes over on Steam.

From this site

1. mechavolt says:

I think it’s great that Chucklefish are working on expanding the game. That said, this isn’t enough to get me back into the game.

I played the game co-op, and had a blast…all the way up until we beat the last boss. Then there were no structured goals to pursue.

Am I upset? No. We spent something like 35 hours on the game, and it was very entertaining. So keep at it Chucklefish. I’ll come back when there’s an endgame.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Apparently I’ve spent 50 hours in various versions and stopped when I had to do serious grinding to progress in both story and workbench upgrades.
      No hard feelings then, pricing is ok although the game wasn’t the terraria-clone to end them all in infinite space we thought it would be after all these years in developement.

• MajorLag says:

I did that with Terraria and felt the same. Then they basically doubled the content, with double the bosses, and so we did it again. The third time, I just couldn’t get over all the grind and randomness (they’d introduced a system of random enchantments, so getting the enchantment I wanted was a matter of throwing money at an NPC until I got really lucky).

I guess what I’m saying is that there’s a decent chance they’ll add new bosses for you in the future.

2. MrFinnishDude says:

Well, the Novakid villages fixed one of my biggest gripes about the full release.
    Now if they would only fix the progression system and make the story actually interesting, then the game would be just absolutely fantastic.

alms says:

Do you think we can have ponies, too? that’s what make it or break it in the end.

• Drib says:

Like literally any game in existence, there is certainly a pony mod.

Yes I know that’s not what you meant.

3. criskywalker says:

Better than No Man’s Sky!

4. Erithtotl says:

I wanted to love this. But I found doing most anything really tedious. Lots of slow digging. And I didn’t like that there the death penalty options are basically ‘nothing’. Or ‘lose all your stuff’. Since there’s no map, getting back to a death spot can be super time consuming. Just feels like too many time sinks and not enough fun.

• Baines says:

I wanted to at least like it, but I had already played Terraria and gotten bored of it. And Starbound is largely “More Terraria, In Space!”

• Anti-Skub says:

Very much of the same opinion. I found it almost impossible to like Starbound. I spent the entire time thinking “Terraria did this better” about virtually every aspect of the game. It felt so redundant.

alms says:

I’d like to play that version of Terraria.

Ericusson says:

Seconded.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Did they borrow the fishing mechanics from Stardew Valley (published by Chucklefish)? If not they should have.

alms says:

Bummed that clicking on that fishing tag does not bring up Torchlight. Not Jess’ fault thought, it’s obviously all of Graham’s. Bring down the RPS-ment, they don’t, they don’t speak for us.

Ericusson says:

Starbound’s release has been a huge disapoontment for me. The game was more fun last I had tried it in February.

There is not a single note of character to the game. Welcome to cotton world. I kinda doubt any update will change anything to how pointless and boring the journey in Starbound is.

8. lukibus says:

Should this article start “Starbound [official site] has been” ?

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Unless it’s possessional (but not in the case of a pronoun), the use of an apostrophe for omission is fine.