Resident Evil 2 Remakers Announce Own Survival Horror

The survival horror fans who spent years unofficially remaking Resident Evil 2 (until Resident Evil owners Capcom coughed and pointed out they were making one themselves) have announced their own spook ’em up. Unsurprisingly, Invader Studios’ own Daymare: 1998 [official site] looks an awful lot like ye olde ’90s survival horror. If you squinted, it might even look just a touch like Resident Evil 2, with oogly-booglies shambling around a city in chaos. They’ve got a former Resident Evil artist sketching monster designs too. Here, have a look at the announcement trailer:

Not knowing Resident Evil 2 too well myself, I’d probably believe that was Raccoon City if not for the player character and monster design. Invader don’t say but I’d be surprised if they’re not building upon work they did for Resident Evil 2 Reborn.

We’ve not much to go on, but Invader but do say to expect “hardcore survival mechanics and many connections with the beloved old school survival horror games and ’90s landmark brands.” So limited ammo, limited save points, and so on. It’s all a bit vague but I guess all you need to know is: they’re really into The Old Days, and this is meant to be like The Old Days. Janky cheap’n’cheeryness would be perfectly in tone with the genre.

Invader have drafted Satoshi Nakai, who drew monster concepts on Resident Evil – Code: Veronica and Resident Evil 0, for monster design but the baddie in the trailer looks… fine? Bit silly? Like a baddie I’d expect in a ’90s Resident Evil game, I suppose.

No word yet on Daymare: 1998 will arrive. It’ll be on Windows.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Kefren says:

I think I’m getting less and less patient with third-person/over-the-shoulder viewpoints. They obscure a lot of things/action, and mean I can’t examine things closely. Old Resi games had pulled back angles for drama and to show all around, which made sense, but over-the-shoulder just has negatives compared to first-person views for me.

• Christo4 says:

Yeah i kinda feel the same sometimes, though it depends on the game. In bethesda for example, since you can switch between modes, 90% of the time i just use the fps one for this exact reason, easier to look out for stuff. Though third person is useful sometimes, when in melee combat for example not to get swarmed or to see your character.

• Jalan says:

The RE4 view has gotten old. Back when that game was new, it was a fantastic (and fresh) approach to the combat in a series that, up to that point, had fell mostly into a rut (outside the experimental first-person elements showcased in Code: Veronica). Ever since that game’s release, however, the series has been relying on it so much that it’s essentially repeated the cycle. And the weird thing, with RE7 being announced as first-person, is that people seem upset that they aren’t just shifting BACKWARD to the old format.

Survival horror overall has hit the point where there isn’t much in the way of options as far as different mechanics are concerned (note: I am NOT suggesting there aren’t different approaches that can be taken). As shown by most recent games in the genre, you either have the “old” RE/etc. formula, the RE4 formula or the Amnesia/etc. formula.

2. SunburyStudios says:

I can’t be the only one that misses the locked camera angle oldschool RE viewpoint, am I?

• Synesthesia says:

Oh I feel your pain, too. RE2:DSv is one of my top 5. I do miss those cramped points of view, the damn licker skittering across the window on the police station. I feel old!

• Sin Vega says:

The shitey controls were never justified, but the fixed and weird camera angles of Resi 2 were a vital part of its design.

• PancakeWizard says:

The ‘tank controls’ were justified because of the platforms they were designed for. Now imagine one made with the static cameras, but a point and click mouse interface.

/Homer salivating intensifies.

3. Daymare says:

Huh …

Just looks like it doesn’t really bring anything new to the table.

• CronoRay says:

Didn’t you know? Old is the New NEW.

• CronoRay says:

I am also GREATLY offended by your use of the . at the end of your sentence, you should be more sincere and do what i do like this

• Daymare says:

After reading your comment I’ve been sitting on my desk, thinking, feeling like a joke is flying over my head.

• Daymare says:

I was mostly just commenting because the game’s got the same title as my nickname, coincidentally.

I really liked Evil Within, which I gather is a sorta RE-followup with a few different things. (To me it feels like a mashup between Silent Hill and RE).

• Jalan says:

I’m glad you pointed out the coincidence, since I was beginning to think there was some joke I wasn’t getting that involved one of the devs of the game commenting on it in a non-flattering manner.

Comment on this story