Meer stared at himself in the mirror. Was he really a man anymore? Or was he just a machine made of meat that endlessly pasted the same handful of game-names into a CMS post, week after week until he died?

Or was he dead already? Was this hell? Yes, that must be it. What else could writing “a href=”” for an eternity possibly be?

Yet still, there was faint hope in those dim, anguished eyes. Hope that one day there might be new games, new hyperlinks, new opinions to be expressed. One day. But not today.

1. ARK: Scorched Earth – Expansion Pack

2. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

3. ARK: Survival Evolved

4. Grand Theft Auto V

5.Rocket League

OK well at least this one gave me a break for a few weeks. NO GIF FOR YOU, FOOT-TO-BALL CARS.

6. Borderlands 2 Game of the Year

And in fairness this is the first time Borderlands 2 has appeared in this regular feature, but somehow it has the exact degree of sheer over-familiarity that CSGO, GTA V et all have. BRING ME THE NEW AND BRING IT NOW.

7. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game of the Year Edition

9. RimWorld

10. Dead by Daylight

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. vorador says:

I still can’t believe just how many goddammed people need to buy GTA 5. It has never really dropped out of the top 20 since release, a year and half ago.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I did some very high level mathematics on the subject, and I’ve concluded that everyone in the world must have bought this game by now. Oh. And their dogs.

Also I think that some of these may have to do with people getting banned by VAC and making new burner accounts.

• Ksempac says:

Actually, if you check SteamSpy it will tell you that less than 6M people have GTA V. Which makes it only the 25th most owned game on Steam…behind stuff like Terraria, Civ V, or L4D2.

Considering the marketing push, the brand strength, etc. that’s a somewhat “low” rank, and it’s not surprising the ownership is still climbing and it’s probably gonna climb for months

CS:GO on the other hand is more surprising, as it’s already at 23M owners (#4 overall, #1 if you remove F2P games), so I’m guessing it’s gonna reach its ceiling soonish (even if banned people buy the game again, I don’t think you can really have growth through that only).

• mavrik says:

I’m actually wondering if Rockstar paid Valve to keep GTA V on that list as an ad. -_-

• seroto9 says:

I’m waiting until it’s on sale for a fiver.

• Zorkwiz says:

Mods have kept it fresh, and more and more people finally own a video card that’ll do it justice thanks to the 1060/70 and R480.

Crysis probably sold a ton of copies for years just so people could prove that they could finally play it.

2. CartonofMilk says:

maybe, but it’s just an idea, you could just do the charts without any commenting whatsoever from now on if you’re forever that annoyed with it.

3. SunburyStudios says:

Glad to see Rimworld up there at least.

phuzz says:

New idea, “Steam Charts” now becomes “Alec’s happy fun time gif party”, wherein Alec posts his favourite moving images, and maybe readers join in, and perhaps, once in a blue moon, when one of the usual suspects isn’t in the chart, maybe cover the charts.

Or, roll a D10 and report on that part of the chart, eg positions 40-50 this week, or 120-130 next week. We’ll get to see some of the less popular games that way.

5. bramble says:

Given the subject’s lack of variety and the writer’s clear disdain with it anyway, maybe this column should be replaced with a list of games not appearing on the best seller’s list that the editors nonetheless think are worth our time. Maybe with a focus on small indie titles, or interesting mods, or old games with a new patch that breathes fresh life into them? I would be far more interested in that list every month or whatever than a 3-day old list, delivered weekly, of Steam bestsellers I can see for myself anyway. I don’t think there is any writer who could think of something interesting to say about CS:GO being a best seller every week for 5 years, so I can’t fault the frustration, but come on guys, make lemonade!

• Ooops says:

I second that opinion.

I don’t have anything against this feature as it is (I like GIFs as much as anyone), but your suggestion clearly brings added value, from a pure “information” point of view.

• batraz says:

Do we really need more information ? And besides, do gta5 buyers deserve any tenderness ? I bought it myself and hated myself for it… Bring it on, RPS !

• michael.neirinckx says:

This is one of my favorite weekly bits on here. I just find Meer’s disdainful angst to be delightfully comical.

• Darth Gangrel says:

This chart here and Alec’s writing is a possible answer to Planescape: Torment’s famous question “what can change the nature of a man?”. His torment is so awfully fun to read about.

X_kot says:

This article contains 120% of your recommended daily intake of angst.

7. Pogs says:

What is CSGO? I’ve not heard of that. Is it new?

8. Habardeen says:

Do the top 20-11!!!

9. PTRMCLR says:

Halcyon 6:Starbase Commander’s been up there the last 5 days or so.

10. DarkMalice says:

You could just post a list of ten newly released games each week instead, y’know? It would be far more useful to buyers than seeing how well something is selling on Steam, aside from the fact that we can all look at the Steam charts whenever we like anyway.

They wouldn’t need to be top ten recommended or anything, just pick ten that look interesting, might even help drive something new into the top ten…

• HeavyStorm says:

Was about to suggest something like that.

Also, Gameguru has this feature for ages.

Also, I would suggest an expanded feature that wasn’t just c & p with a bunch of information: new releases, best offers (cheaper and good), and then maybe top 10.

Also,maybe expand the top 10 to 20 on order to see if the next 10 changes more significantly?

• michael.neirinckx says:

A top 20 is a good idea – that’s likely where the shifts are occurring. But, having never seen 10-20, it could just be add-ons and expansions to the top 10, which would be even more hilarious.

• michael.neirinckx says:

Nope, I prefer the gradual decline Meer is taking into the questioning of the very meaning of existence.

• Unsheep says:

I completely agree with you.

I don’t see the point of posting Steam lists on any site.
      Are we supposed to buy games simply it happens to be popular with the masses ? … or not buy a game simply because it’s not popular with the masses ?

I mean, what’s the purpose of informing people on what games are selling really well. It can’t be ‘curiosity’ since these lists are rather constant and predictable.

• AngoraFish says:

In theory, the point isn’t the list itself but the commentary that goes along with the list. What’s good, what’s inexplicably popular, what has an interesting story behind it, and so forth.

Obviously this feature has now lost most of it’s original raison d’etre since it’s 80-90% the same every week, and it’s this repetitiveness that’s the main problem, not the fact that RPS is using popularity lists as the basis for some interesting commentary.

• aerozol says:

“I don’t see the point of posting Steam lists on any site.”

Looking at this article, do you think RPS might be aware of this? Just a little bit?

11. HeavyStorm says:

After the (elegant, I hope) bashing I posted, here follows another, on the subject, discussion:

What does it means for the gaming community to have a title as rimworld to sell so much? (besides the guys who did DF probably hating themselves for the lost opportunity)

On one hand, it means that our audience is evolving, maturing even. A game this complex, with lousy graphics and subpar music, gameplay quirks etc. Would NEVER be mainstream if the gaming community is a reflection of steam charts and big companies releases.

And still, here it is, in all its unpolished, alpha, complexy glory.

One of the possible explanations is that it still is a niche title, but with the great expansion of the gaming community that happened on the latest years, niche means a whole lot of people.

On the other hand, RimWorld may be another case of hyping and the power of marketing. A lot of people are buying it, so a lot more join “the fever”. I remember being victim of such things when young, every time a particular friend talked about a game I’d experiment it, and even find it strange and fight myself when I wasnt enjoying it.

• Canadave says:

The rest I’ll grant, but subpar music? I’d love to have random twangy Firefly guitars scoring my day.

• dglenny says:

Yeah, I have to take issue with the “sub-par” music. I liked it so much I bought the soundtrack separately. If it just had the Firefly ship noises as well, it would be perfect.

• SBLux says:

The graphics are not ‘lousy’ either. They are simple but they are perfectly suited to the game and were they more complex they may well make the game less clear and less playable.

AutonomyLost says:

The music is fantastic and really aids in the game being as enjoyable as it is.

• batraz says:

Rimworld felt like a scatological Sims to me… Generated background stories and DF-style autostorytelling seems to be the thing right now. It’s ok, but we could as well go back to out old action figures : better frame rate, amazing graphics… The idea of Rimworld is far more enjoyable than actually playing it, and I suspect it might be the same for DF.

12. Al Bobo says:

Keep on trucking, Dead By Daylight! It IS quite a good game. I’m enjoying it alot.

13. apa says:

Jankon betoni #1 :D

14. Unsheep says:

Well, there’s a whole bunch of big games and packages coming soon, which might change some things.

15. Auldman says:

I’ll hold on until he gets to this gif.

link to

16. Thurgret says:

How is this list made, anyway? I saw Space Hulk: Deathwing in the Steam top ten, even if it didn’t stay there a whole week, and that at least might have provided at least two additional words to write.

17. geldonyetich says:

Two ideas for you:

1. Do this list monthly, not weekly.

2. Do the “Popular New Releases” list weekly.

Flavour Beans says:

Reading the other comments, methinks some people are taking this feature a little too seriously. I actually look forward to this, and it’s doing wonders for my GIF folder.

19. KNIVES says:

Did you really say this is the first time BL2 has been in the top sellers list? Yea ok bud, sounds believable… This whole weekly piece you have is so fucking annoying to read, and doubly so when you repeating fucking bitch about what games are remaining on the top sellers.

Work something out with Valve and get it so im not forced to read and see these shit articles from RPS, please.

20. iteronMKV says:

Hilarious. It really is amazing the stamina GTAV has. Rockstar is fueled by RPS tears.

21. khamul says:

Ah. So that’s what a psychotic breakdown looks like in animated gif format. I’d always wondered.

22. Sle3epy says:

I really don’t see why you take such issue with the same games remaining on the top list. What would it say about the current state of gaming if nothing ever stuck around?

Counter-Strike, GTA, and The Witcher stay at the top because they are good games with a lot of replayability. We need more games like them, not disposable crap that fades away after a few weeks.

23. Blutsuechtiger says:

I vote for less charts & more tits.
    More entertaining.
    I promise.

24. mojozach says:

Did you just stop counting dota?

Comment on this story