New Spiderweb RPG Avadon 3: The Warborn Released

Spiderweb Software’s RPGs aren’t ‘retro’ – Jeff Vogel has been doing this since 1994. ‘Old school’ might be it. Look, I’ve quibbled over terminology enough for today so let’s skip to: whatever you call them, it’s a niche Spiderweb revel in. Today the two-person studio released their latest fantasy RPG, Avadon 3: The Warborn [official site]. It’s the conclusion to the Avadon trilogy, not to be confused with either of Spiderweb’s two Avernum trilogies nor their remake of the first Avernum trilogy. No getting confused now, okay. If you fancy ‘aving a go at turn-based questing, Avadon 3 has a demo too.

As is the Spiderweb way, Avadon 3 is a ’90s-style fantasy RPG with turn-based action and grids and an inventory you drag stuff around and all that. You’re out to save your homeland from invaders, or… maybe you’re not. Spiderweb say:

“Yes, you can defeat the enemy and save your people. You might also betray your people and bring victory to the invaders. You can even, with cunning and violence, gain great power and wealth for yourself. In the conclusion to the Avadon Saga, the choice will be up to you!”

Heroes these days! Here, have a gander at it in motion:

If you like the look of that, a demo is up on Spiderweb’s site.

Avadon 3 is out for Windows and Mac on Steam, GOG, and the Humble Store, with a small launch discount bringing it to £13.49/17,99€/$17.99 or thereabouts for a week. Or Spiderweb get more money if you buy through their own site. It’ll run on pretty much any computer still able to turn on without mouse nests inside catching fire, or is on iPad if you’re fancy like that.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

gritz says:

“Grognard” is probably appropriate and much more colorful.

2. Detocroix says:

From a quick second I thought it was Avernum 3 remake (or Exile 3, as it was when I first played it). Oh well, this is great too!

3. Tacroy says:

Man, the CD containing the collection of Exile games up to Blades, plus (I think?) a demo of Nethergate (the game upon whose engine Avernum would later be built) was like the second game I found out about and bought over the Internet.

That series is so ingrained in me that I was super confused when I first played Avernum – I could swear I’d played it before, but why was everything isometric?

(The first game I bought off the internet was was Dink Smallwood.)

• BobMoron says:

Holy cow, Dink Smallwood! Now that’s

• Rizlar says:

Really wish it wasn’t looks like ass, terrible wonky movement, can’t click on the thing behind the other thing isometric. Exile’s sprites looked gorgeous and played way better too.

I will stop making these posts on Spiderweb articles when they stop making stupid isometric games (Geneforge gets a pass cos everything is meant to look weird).

• Kaeoschassis says:

Sadly I do have to agree with the general content of this, if not necessarily the tone. The Exile games (especially the later ones where they switched to that more saturated, colourful palette) were absolutely gorgeous in their own lo-fi way, whereas for the most part the avernum games have nothing visual going for them. The gameplay and writing are fantastic, of course, but ehhh, I wish they’d never switched to isometric, agreed.

4. dongsweep says:

I’ve always wanted to give these a go. I bought the humble bundle awhile back and have about 8 of these games on steam but the thought of how large they are is hard to overcome. Instead they sit there unplayed for years.

keefybabe says:

Pretty much everything Jeff Vogel does is an instabuy for me. I think the first one of his I got hooked on was geneforge.

6. tsff22 says:

Man, its hard for me to explain exactly why, but for some reason I just can’t get into Avadon the same way I got into the Avernum remakes.

teije says:

Agree with you on that. Story just didn’t grab me the same way.

• InternetBatman says:

The gameplay isn’t as good. Avernum offers true open world exploration. The few gates that exist are bypassed relatively quickly. Avadon had gates for most of the game.

7. Kaeoschassis says:

Gods dammit don’t do this to me! I still have yet to buy the remake of Crystal Souls and I absolutely have to, no matter how much I know I can’t afford it, because it’s the best Exile/Avernum ever got. Now this. I never thought I’d say this but could someone see about getting Jeff Vogel to make games a little more slowly please?

Also that mouse nest thing actually happened to an old rig of my father’s, back when I was a wee-un. Up until right now I had assumed it was an isolated event (and that nobody would ever believe it could happen).

• malkav11 says:

He is actually going to be slowing down (as he’s gotten older, for one thing), from what I’ve heard. IIRC there won’t be a new Spiderweb game out next year, breaking the pretty much every-year-or-sooner cycle he’s been on for ages now.

8. robotslave says:

Avadon 3 is a ’90s-style fantasy RPG

It really isn’t, though. It’s an ’80s-style fantasy RPG.

Jeff Vogel will never make a game that looks or plays like Baldur’s Gate, or anything near it, because he doesn’t have the time, budget, or inclination to do the level of animation that became the norm for RPGs in the ’90s. And god bless him for it, too.

9. vegeta1998 says:

It’s a shame he keeps recycling out the same garbage for decades. And he’s taken plenty of my money and time since the 90s. Just 100 hours of flavor text and stat grinding. You may as well be reading Twilight fan-fiction, at least jerking off all over yourself eventually ends.

• Kaeoschassis says:

If you put 100 hours into a game you aren’t enjoying, that’s your lookout. If you put 100 hours into a game and DO enjoy it, you got your money’s worth. Either way, I don’t see what your problem is.

keefybabe says:

Goddamn those book writers, they keep bringing out the same old ink on paper shite over and over again.

kfix says:

at least jerking off all over yourself eventually ends

And when will that be?