Plucky Astro-spuds In Holy Potatoes! We’re in Space?!

Holy Potatoes! We’re in Space?! [official site] is a game and not a question. “Holy potatoes!” probably isn’t something anyone would exclaim, not even about some extremely delicious poutine. It is, however, the newly-announced sequel to Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!, a cute weapon sim where you manage your own humble little weapon shop.

Daylight Studios’ sequel changes things up for a roguelike this time around (roguelikes are totally in right now) where heroes Cassie and Fay travel throughout space in order to save their grandfather from The Eclipse, a fairly nondescript yet totally evil organization that’s got him firmly in its grasp. Check out the Gamescom announce trailer below.

While exploring the universe, Cassie and Fay have to gather resources to upgrade their spaceship and create new weapons to bash enemies over the head with, all the while hiring potato engineers to man their ships. Personally, I’d not want to rely on potato engineers over humans, but only because humans aren’t in danger of being eaten by aliens. Or maybe they are. I don’t know.

The devs say the game has about ten hours of playtime, procedurally generated environments and enemies, as well as “dozens” of planets to explore. Sounds like it could be an interesting adventure.

Holy Potatoes! We’re in Space?! won’t be out until the end of the year, but it should be on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. shinkshank says:

I was very quickly turned off of the original when it turned out that literally every single worker in that game (as far as I could get,anyway) was a poorly veiled reference. We’re talking with starting characters called “Laura Craft” and “Bulk Bogan” , and it only went down from there. You know, the style of “humor” which consists entirely of referencing other things and jokes from other things. I found this to be the exact opposite of amusing, and the game itself wasn’t much, so I quickly dropped it.

This looks a little more interesting, but I’m not expecting a lot.

Jekadu says:

I actually use “holy pancakes” as an expletive. “Holy potatoes” doesn’t sound that weird with that in mind.

3. PancakeWizard says:

This looks like the result of a hundred board meetings and focus groups of what ‘indie’ is.

Captain Narol says:

Sounds like a No Man’s Sky killer ! Don’t hype it too much or people will get disappointed.

Does it have Multiplayer ?

And more important, what do you do in it ?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

It’s 2016 so memeing, exploring, crafting, upgrading, sandboxing, roguelikeing, managing timering/meterfilling.
      Exciting hollow verbingading.

5. Whiskey Jak says:

Biggest surprise of the morning is seeing poutine referenced on a British PC games website.

6. ReV_VAdAUL says:

Hmm, this seems a pretty smart move for a sequel. I enjoyed Holy Potatoes but didn’t finish it because at a certain point you’ve levelled up your crafters to max and there’s nothing left to discover, you win the crafting effortlessly and you’re just doing the same process over and over again. Therefore adding gameplay elements where you make use of the stuff you’ve crafted is the best thing they could’ve done.

Can’t say I’m super excited for it because I got my fill in the last game but it does look to be a well thought out sequel.

7. Sin Vega says:

Huh, this looks like it could be-

Oh. Never mind, then.

8. moryseth says:

My my, it’s such a rarity to hear Poutine out of Quebec, glad it’s slowly making it’s way around.

9. genoforprez says:

Eh… I’d be hesitant to buy this one. Holy Potatoes Weapon Shop had a really charming aesthetic and upbeatedness, and it looks like this game is attractive in the same way.

But weapon shop also had gameplay that was about as interesting as a free-to-play mobile game with all of the in-app purchases stripped out. In other words, lots of waiting-based design choices.

I loved the aesthetic and feel of the game, though, so I’d be enthusiastic to try out a game in some other genre by them, so long as it wasn’t a….

god dammit. I am so sick of this bandwagon I could spit.

• moryseth says:

“But weapon shop also had gameplay that was about as interesting as a free-to-play mobile game with all of the in-app purchases stripped out.”

Agreed, it become kinda boring because of that.

• vorador says:

Try Recettear on Steam. While in Recettear you don’t make your merchandise, you go to dungeons to “acquire” it, or buy it from wholesalers to display it on your shop.

10. Chaoslord AJ says:

-Weapon shop was another game where the reviews were really odd. It feels exactly like a grindsome kongregate flash game where you have to repeat tedious processes and click everything again and again.
    Granted that would be a burner on mobiles but coming to PC players expecting a weapon shop sim or something?

Won’t touch the new game.

11. genoforprez says:

The devs commented on one steam review that the reason Weapon Shop probably felt so much like a mobile game to some people is that before that game they WERE developing mobile games. I think maybe some mobile influences accidentally leaked into their honest attempt at a legit business sim type game. But it seems like they got that feedback a lot, so maybe they took note of what seemed “mobile-ish” about their first game on PC and have applied that learning to this next game. We’ll see!

12. talexeh says:

Is it just me or does those spaceships look a lil’ similar to the ones in FTL?

Comment on this story