Runic Games’ Hob Looks Quite Calming

Runic Games (yes, the people that brought you Torchlight) is hard at work on a quaint little curiosity called Hob. A brand new trailer made its debut during PAX West 2016, and it shows off some platforming/adventure game-lite moves that should tickle your fancy.

In many ways, it’s reminiscent of 2008’s Prince of Persia, at least that’s what it reminds me of. Remember, the one everyone hated because Elika would, like Maroon 5’s Adam Levine, reach down and catch you every time you fall?

The game, like Variable State’s Virginia, is bereft of text or dialogue, and the narrative is revealed over a series of interactions with the mysterious planet you’re tasked with discovering.

In the end, you’ll “transform” the world in your own special way. Sounds pretty deep, but is it any good? From the look of things, it looks pretty calming, like something that might be good to kick back and relax with.

There’s no concrete release date for Hob just yet. That’s alright. There are way too many games coming out this fall as it is.

From this site

1. RaunakS says:

Oh man Prince of Persia 2008 had one of the most accomplished visual designs of gaming history. It looks even better today, with high res screens. I am looking forward to Hob purely based on that relation.

Also, why did Ubisoft more or less abandon the Prince of Persia IP? The Sands of Time trilogy (quadrology) was perhaps the best thing they ever did. Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry has nowhere near the personality of that world.

• Ashabel says:

Money. Prince of Persia 2008 was meant to be the first step of a new series, but sold very poorly and with the development team also being responsible for Assassin’s Creed, which sold boatloads, it made sense for them to focus on the thing that people actually bought.

• ShommyX says:

And what about Forgotten Sands?

• Ashabel says:

I honestly always assumed that Forgotten Sands was an attempt to capitalize on the Sands of Time movie, given that they were released within a week of one another.

2. Merus says:

I always felt they were so close with Prince of Persia 2008 – they anticipated the need for a different relationship to death and penalties, and didn’t quite manage to think of anything that’d work. Imagine if someone had slipped them a list of death mechanics from 2016 games.

• Eight Rooks says:

Not to mention the ending to the story pretty much trampled all over the significance of the one they picked. I remember trying to have the prince kill himself just so I could express my annoyance with being forced to do something so monumentally stupid, only to discover the pits I could previously fall into had all been blocked off with invisible walls for some reason. Ugh. It definitely got some bad reviews it didn’t deserve (I remember Edge’s reviewer in particular must have been absolutely sick of Nolan North), but at the same time it was unquestionably horribly flawed.

• jusplathemus says:

I think the ending actually made sense and you were not forced to do it since the credits rolled before you were given the chance to “do something so monumentally stupid”.

3. LearningToSmile says:

I’ve been waiting for this to come out since I saw the first gameplay video a couple months ago. I’m quite surprised this is the first time RPS is covering it, as it seems to be something you folks would enjoy. It just looks so… nice.

Here’s the video showing a solid 15 minute chunk of the game that sold me on it:

4. Thankmar says:

Hey, some love for Prince of Persia 2008. I started it three times (on 360) and never finished it due to save game loss, console breakdown etc. I liked it very much, because of the art, and I liked the banter too. For me it felt like old school screwball comedy.
    As others mentioned before, I also thought it was very smart how they approached difficulty and punishment, didn’t mind the ever-reaching hand at all. Got some heavy flak here in Germany for that, being too easy and all. I just found it a very mature game.

And Hob just looks fantastic. For me it seems more like top down Zelda done in very fancy (and very Torchlight-y) graphics. Something to look forward to.

• Thankmar says:

Yeah, I saw sth. of that gameplay trailer, too now. Did not want to steal anyones observations.

5. Mrice says:

The character design reminds me a lot of hellboy

6. PancakeWizard says:

It’s like Torchlight and Ico had a baby!

7. Nuno Miguel says:

After I saw the trailer and read the article I went to my Steam account and downloaded PoP 2008 to see if it still looks good and… WOW!

I think it may be the game which artistic direction holds up best in all the games I’ve seen. It looks incredible! The only things that I noticed that do indeed feel dated are the lipsync and the character models’ low polygon count (to current standards).

Just look at it: link to youtube.com

LOOK AT IT|

• PancakeWizard says:

Thought you were talking about Sands of Time (which was actually 2003) until I clicked the YT link. Disappointed :(

Minsc_N_Boo says:

Very nice trailer. I love Torchlight, so will be interested to see Runics next steps

9. CrivenS says:

That trailer reminds me most of Bastion actually.
    Looks like fun