Divinity: Original Sin 2 Now On Steam Early Access

Divinity: Original Sin 2 [official site] launched into early access today, less than a year after wrapping up its Kickstarter. The fantasy RPG’s initial release is quite small, and waiting for the full version before even thinking about touching it is certainly a reasonable idea but, y’know, maybe Adam’s raving has got you pumped. Original Sin 2 “improves almost every area” of the original, he said – and it was no slouch.

2014’s Divinity: Original Sin is a fantasy RPG about wizards and warriors and all that, which tends to have a pleasing number of potential solutions to problems (or to simply get up to a spot of japes). It also has all sorts of antics with elemental powers combining, explosions and poison and zapping all over the place, which will be hugely expanded with spell crafting in this here sequel. Original Sin 2 also brings four-player co-op, up from two, and a bit of PvP multiplayer.

Some more words from Adam after he played a preview version:

“If the foundation of Original Sin’s design philosophy was to provide freedom but ensure that the game could be completed no matter how much the player diverged from the ‘correct’ path, Original Sin 2 explores the idea that the party can always succeed, but that individual members can fail. That central idea sits alongside much-improved combat (there’s a multiplayer arena mode and it is excellent), a superb spell-crafting system and a world that’s more convincing and beautiful than anything Larian have produced before.”

The initial early access release is far from the full game, mind. Here’s what’s in:

– Act 1 of the campaign, with approximately 8-12 hours of gameplay.
– Online co-op for up to four players.
– Four playable races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, and Lizard.
– Four optional Origin Stories with unique quests and interactions.
– Eight schools of skills and spells.
– PvP Arena mode with select maps.

Larian plan to release the full game in 2017, and point out that (obviously) this isn’t full and polished. They say, “It only makes sense to play an Early Access game if, for instance, you want to support the development of the game, you want to help development with your feedback or if you want to get a taste of things to come.”

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is out for Windows on Steam Early Access at £29.99/$44.99. Larian say it’ll be on GOG’s equivalent ‘Games in Development’ doodad “soon”.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Zenicetus says:

My wife and I are currently playing through the first game and having a blast in co-op. So I’m looking forward to this, but I’ll wait for the finished game. I don’t think we’ll play it more than once, and I don’t want any story spoilers.

Speaking of story… one reason I bounced off the game when I first played it solo was the storyline and the silly vibe of the game. I don’t need every game to be deadly serious, but D:OS seemed a bit over the top with goofy monster designs (exploskeletons) and that annoying gnome guy at the Homestead. Sometimes it feels like a kid’s cartoon version of an RPG, and then it switches to some grimdark plot line. It’s a bit schizophrenic that way.

Playing in co-op it’s easier to ignore those elements and just have fun with the tactical combat mechanics. It’s hilarious when we screw up and accidentally nuke each other with an AOE spell.

Anyway, I hope the writing finds a good balance in the new game between goofiness and a compelling main plot. The great tactical combat is probably enough to carry it. But it wouldn’t hurt to have better writing and a little less silliness.

• Michael Johnson says:

I had a similar issue with the first game, tonally inconsistent with a penchant for total wackiness. This one seems lot… better written in every way conceivable way – both from what I’ve seen in my early access fumblings and from what other people have said.

• mavrik says:

I’m one of the rare people that actually loved the wackiness – it was what kept me playing (besides really great combat), especially after bunch of other too serious RPGs.

Vandelay says:

I didn’t hate the wackiness (more RPGs could do with the sillies,) and I certainly object to any negative comments about the exploding skeleton dudes. The moment you realise that you can rain on them to extinguish the fuses is one of those moments of gaming glee you ever so often get when you realise a developer has actually put some thought into how their game is constructed. Plus, the fiendish graveyard where umpteen of them suddenly pop up was both terrifying and a joy to get through.

But, I did ultimately drift away from playing the game, despite probably being about halfway through. There just wasn’t a huge amount to keep you going, with a rather bland plot and characters that weren’t that interesting. The wackiness was welcome, but it just masks the lack of anything really interesting underneath it.

• Jimbo says:

Larian often tend towards what I would describe as a ‘pantomimey’ tone. I find it quite refreshing.

2. satan says:

Aw nooooo why’d they have to put it on early access, I can probably resist the temptation, but my co-op buddy is likely to just buy us both copies as soon as he finds out its on early access.

3. Rizlar says:

Couldn’t resist having a peek and it’s all very exciting and shiny. The presentation is way ahead of D:OS while everything is the same general shape. Surprised at how smooth and refined it all feels, the animation and character models are great and it just feels nicer to play.

Probably not going to spend much time with it pre release, had way more fun with my first playthrough of D:OS and attachment to your characters is an important part of it. But more excited than ever for D:OS 2. If the quality of first impressions is maintained throughout the game it’ll be an absolute belter.

Ericusson says:

I tried reinstalling the enhanced edition of the first D:OS and bounced off it because of how awful the interface seems to me.

Having to fight with the camera, these huge icons I can’t configure.
    I really hope the UI gets properly modernised with scaling, transparency, and a camera control that does not make me feel claustrophobic.

5. aliksy says:

Is it still basically the same game under the hood? I didn’t like in the original how important levels were (stab someone in the face who’s higher level than you and they don’t even flinch) and how often the combat was “save or die” with a big random factor. I got bored when fights turned into “does charm person land? then I won.”

6. Saiko Kila says:

I wonder how the music will change, with their main composer deceased last year. His work is one of my favourites among all PC games.

As for the game itself, I won’t be able to play it because of Vista. And it seems this time they won’t release a version for older systems, like it was with D:OS Classic… D:OS 64-bit is one of those still rare games, which really need at least Win 7 to work because they use some newer kernel functions. It will be interesting to watch when developers start dropping Win 7 support too.

7. forkandspoon says:

Am I the only one who was with this game until the ‘Homestead’ thing? I got to this, and the game just fell to pieces for me. Felt like a dev room and a bullet in the head of world building…

• forkandspoon says:

Should have specified, I mean the original D:OS

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, it wasn’t exactly the high point of the game, but I managed to get past it. If the combat style wasn’t so interesting and different it might have been a game-ender right there.

Comment on this story