From DOOM ‘Til DUSK: A New ‘Classic’ FPS Murderthon

Hello, murder fans. We’ve already played DOOM and QUAKE and OTHERS, but the demand for caps-locked first-person shooters with gibs and chaos somehow seems to grow. So here is DUSK [official site], an FPS from publisher New Blood, which is paying tribute to the classics of the genre the only way it knows how: by killing everything in sight with shotguns, scythes and explosives. It looks like the hellish speed of Devil Daggers combined with a more traditional homicidal experience. If you’re a fan of quick-paced killing, there’s a trailer down here.

We’ve seen glimpses of some of this stuff in a previous roundup video from the publisher but that’s the full boyo. It’s a short game from the sounds of things – the campaign mode is three ‘episodes’ long. You wake up in a backwater part of the American Northeast on a cultist’s meat hook and have to fight your way through hordes of enemies, accompanied by a hardcore metal soundtrack from Andrew Hulshult, aka the guy who did the music for Brutal DOOM. Here’s what you can expect.

In three distinct campaign episodes hand-crafted from straight outta the 90’s, players battle through an onslaught of mystical backwater cultists, possessed militants and even darker forces and attempt to discover just what lurks beneath the earth. Featuring a vast arsenal of badass weaponry including saw blades, dual-wielded shotguns from 1887 and an incredibly necessary grenade launcher, DUSK is unapologetic retro action from start to finish.

There’s also an endless survival mode, which sees you face off against waves of baddies (is it enough to get Alice to give up her career in Devil Daggers?) and a 1v1 online arena where “darkness hosts the worst of humanity”. But we already knew that about the internet.

It’s being made by indie developer David Szymanski and is due out in 2017. Until then, you’ll have to get your gibs somewhere else. I swear I haven’t got any.

I’m being serious, please leave.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Burges says:

I love Szymanski’s other games (Fingerbones is free on Steam, try it!) but thus far they all seemed to fall into “walking simulator” territory. I’m looking forward to seeing how he handles a more gamey game.

• Jalan says:

Was going to add something remarkably similar to this. When he first started talking about this and when he started up a thread on GOG’s forums looking for input toward it, I was interested in where it would go. Seeing the trailer, I’m a little disappointed that it’s more Quake-like in general presentation but am not entirely unhappy over said fact.

Whether it turns out to be successful (whatever that means these days) or not, it’s interesting to see him take a different route away from the narrative-driven walking simulators he’s more at ease with.

2. DantronLesotho says:

I hope there’s a bonkerz story in this game; it looks like a lot of fun.

3. dethtoll says:

If this isn’t a Quake 1 engine game (using Darkplaces, maybe?) I will eat my hat.

4. mugsgame says:

Felt a bit mushier than Quake engine from the video, also I’ve never seen that kind of camera rotation in any Quake-based game (don’t think the camera goes past straight up or down).
    Anyone else feel a bit startled by the directness of “Kill the rednecks”? Lots of people self-identify as rednecks… thinking of hypothetical comparisons, something like “kill the rebels”, “kill the Vikings” or “kill the bosses” at least implies a basic motivation/story but I thought this came off as blinkered (saying that rednecks are self-evidently an enemy with no further context). Translation issue maybe.
    Looks like it could be fun, I definitely support 90s-FPS inspired work.

• Paul Debrion says:

Here you go:
      link to

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

It was just a reference to the game “Redneck Rampage”, another classic FPS from that age, likewise the other two quotes about Quake and Heretic.

particlese says:

I’m really intrigued by that camera motion. Occasionally in Devil Daggers, for example, being able to tilt my head/daggergunhand back just that little bit to finish off a skull/swarm would be so satisfying, if not just plain useful. Instead, I get that 2D gimbal lock thing going on. Such motion could get out of control if spastic reactions are completely constrained, but I’d like to see how it feels in practice outside of Descent or other first-person flying games.

5. Killerspinach says:

We”ll get to mow down hordes of lumberjacks wearing Friday the 13th Part II Masks apparently. count me in.

6. Scripten says:

Got to admit, the level design looks pretty disappointing. It’s a lot of flat spaces and orthogonal hallways. I would love to see more classic games aim for the majesty of some of the bigger Doom-engine map sets. (While I am not a huge fan of massive slaughtermaps, they do have very good designs.)

• jusplathemus says:

Seconded. The new DOOM’s level design was a failure in my eyes. Romero rebuilt some DOOM 1 maps recently and I’ve had much more fun playing them.

• jefequeso says:

Dev here. Great emphasis is actually being put on interesting negative space and abstract design, in the tradition of the original Doom. I think you’ll be happy with the finished game in that regard.

• xananax says:

Yo, that’s great, but I advise emphasizing this. As a Doom fan, I’m all too used to people thinking something is “like Doom” for all the wrong reasons (aka, new Doom, not a bad game, but wholly unrelated to old Doom, for me).

Doom, for me and a lot of hardcore fans, is all about the maps, and the near-puzzler strategy (I call Doom “a puzzler-shooter”). But none of these aspects is at all apparent in the trailer. If maps are important, I’d advise dropping a line about it somewhere in the trailer, for PR reasons. Personally, when I read your comment, my interest went from “meh, another cute game, maybe I’ll watch a playthrough some day” to “oh, I’ll follow this game”.

• jusplathemus says:

In that case, color me interested :)

Comment on this story