CoD: Infinite Warfare Story Trailer Shows Spacesplosions

I would absolutely buy a cheap standalone version of the Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare [official site] story campaign. Its Michael Bay-esque tale of Martians, Moonmen, spaceships, loyalty, duty, robots, explosive decompression, and explosions looks a right lark in this here new trailer. Given that Activision half-heartedly tried selling Cod Blops 3’s multiplayer separately, maybe one day they’ll try it with the campaign? Or that doofy co-op? While I work on crossing my fingers and toes, you can watch the trailer with a villainous turn from that babyfaced fella from the TV show where everyone keeps telling him he knows nothing – The Weakest Link?

That looks great fun! Yet not fun enough for me to pay £40. I always end up waiting a few years until CoD games are cheap enough on sale for a few hours of bangsplosions. Though given all the huge set pieces, polish, assets, and voice acting and… maybe a standalone story might not be as cheap as I’d hope. Perhaps the campaign is subsidised by DLC sales of the multiplayer. I suppose the idea of splitting multiplayer was for it to be a foundation to sell all the DLC. Not that Activision are ever remotely open about the costs of all this.

My point is: I would like to burst those spacemen.

Infinite Warfare is due on November 4th.

From this site

1. dawnmane says:

It really looks like a fun The-Expanse-on-steroids kind of story! Too bad it is welded onto COD gameplay.

2. GernauMorat says:

Halo called they want their Pelican back.

• GWOP says:

I’m sorry, does your Pelican have (I paused and counted) sixteen exhausts?

It’s like a child’s idea of a good design…

• laiwm says:

My issue isn’t so much with the multiple thrusters, which is just good sense – redundancy in case of failure. It’s that at least 6 of them are directing their exhaust flush over the roof of the aircraft, heating it up as well as pushing the craft downwards, counteracting lift.

• GernauMorat says:

True. Halo technology at it’s best has a kind of [fake] utilitarian look to it. This is like something from the back of a teenage notebook.

3. GWOP says:

I don’t know what I find harder to suspend my disbelief for – single-stage-to-orbit space carriers (why even bother deorbiting?), or space colonists (who probably need elaborate and vulnerable infrastructures just to be able to breath) being able to pose any major threat to Earth military.

• CrazyNickels says:

I was thinking the same thing!

• TechnicalBen says:

Fusion/antimatter could make that possible… but the rest of the problems still exist. Anything based in space usually fails to the energy, life support and necessity/cost problem.

• shde2e says:

Presumably they use the same technology/Infinite resource and manpower hacks that the Russians/ChiReans/Terrorists/South-Americans/Nazi’s always used.

Unfortunately this requires the sacrifice of at least 1000 virginal pskyer children per day, and automatically brainwashes their users into attacking America (or anything that looks close enough).

4. LionsPhil says:

I’m still waiting for them to drop the price on the first Modern Warfare, so I wouldn’t hold your breath. It’s maxed out at a 50% sale (£10) for years, including right now. (What happened to SteamPrices’ historic data?)

• Cyrus says:

Me, I was waiting for a sale on Black Ops for more than 5y years. Went to a third-party seller to get a more reasonable price earlier this summer.

• shde2e says:

Isn’t the first CoD still sold for 10 euros?

*Steamsearching*

Nope, thats the CoD 2. The first CoD is still sold for 20 freaking euros.
      Seriously Activision. Come on.

5. Turkey says:

I kinda wish it would smash cut to the Geneva Convention on fire when they showed the rubble of Neo Geneva.

Also I wish the terrorist leader was Osama Bin Laden with a Borg laser eye.

• fabronaut says:

aw man. now I want this too :(

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, Osama Borg Ladin in CoD would make it much better, lol.

• shde2e says:

And the protagonist is a serviceman from the United States of Terra, and is part of a special operations unit called Whale Squad Bravo.

6. xcession says:

Press X to enjoy a 6 hour interactive video in which you lose some friends, gain some new ones and learn something about your humanity or some shit.

7. Gwilym says:

Aw man, this does look really fun. I’d say that I do the same thing about playing the campaigns once they get cheap, but apparently there’ve been three new ones since I last did that.

Maybe I should marathon them. And stream it as some kind of performance art. Each time a helicopter crashes, I have to read the entire Wikipedia article about that helicopter.

8. syndrome says:

How outrageously montaged video, so full of variable frame rates and bad cuts I had to stop watching. The game itself looks relatively nice, but the montage is simply an agony in motion. What a dilettante work.

• syndrome says:

Oh and btw am I just crazy or USA (and even West in general) induces mindless fixation for pyrotechnical explosions in its population, constantly reinforcing and exploiting the concept that exploding equals fun.

Does this reduces the “pyrotechnical crave” within said population, or makes it more likely to practice and yearn for this “fun” wherever possible outside the US?

Why is it that prominent? And even if exploding IS fun, why this want for exploding even stuff that doesn’t usually explode? Why are explosions so fascinating, so captivating, so worth of anyone’s time?

As much as I understand typical obsession with coordinated fiery pyrotechnics aka fireworks, typical destructive explosions are simply a byproduct of violent and disruptive release of thermal energy within the oxygen-filled atmosphere. <<== forbid me if there is a better scientific explanation here.

Where's the beauty in it?

Why DOES it look like it's some sort of sponsored propaganda, much like the American flag waving tranquilly in every plan-flou shot, every single piece of american entertainment production is full of it, as it's simply "good TV", "good fun", "worthy of popular consumption".

Don't tell me it's a cultural thing, humans are humans everywhere.

• Unclepauly says:

I’m going to assume that you received zero responses due to having way too many assumptions in your post. A little more research is necessary for you to find out your answer quite easily.

9. TechnicalBen says:

Explosions in space do not happen/look like that.

[Not watched the video ;) ]

• shde2e says:

According to the hard-scifi, highly realistic book series known as Warhammer 40K, there are regularly glorious explosions in space.

10. DailyFrankPeter says:

I actually quite appreciated them releasing the Blops3 MP separately. It allowed me to see that there is something wrong with the netcode (compared ot Blops2 which works fine in my area – baffling) and abandon it for the fraction of the cost and stress. I’m hoping IW will also have a cheap version.

• DailyFrankPeter says:

Or is simply it the fact that players now move faster than network packets (at least I feel that if keep making the gameplay faster – IDK why some push the term ‘fluid’ – while keeping the network speeds constant the graphical disconnect gets stupid – no, it is SO NOT fluid…).