Meet The Bakers: Resident Evil 7

The more I learn about Resident Evil 7 [official site], the less it sounds like a Resident Evil game. Sure, there will apparently be medicinal herbs and some kind of inventory management, and there will probably be puzzles involving coins or crystals standing in for keys, but the grimy first-person horrors of the demo do seem to be representative of the full game. As details emerge, including the video below, it looks more and more exciting, and it might be the scariest Resi game of the lot.

This new trailer is fresh from the Tokyo Game Show and there have been changes to the demo (which is still, sadly, only available on PS4) this week as well. It’s a clever thing, that demo – the dead-ends and apparently useless objects might all become doorways and keys as updates arrive. It’s a haunted house that rewards repeat visitors with new horrors and mysteries.

According to an interview in Famitsu, translated and summarised on reddit, there are no enemy “hordes” in the game. Instead you’ll be facing off against individual antagonists and The Baker family, seen in that trailer, probably make up a good portion of them. The whole thing feels a little like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but there are also hints of hauntings and supernatural goings-on, especially in the demo.

It sounds like the VHS tapes that I loved so much in that demo will carry across into the game. If the translation is accurate, they’ll be used to “alter events”, presumably by playing the characters within them and affecting the past to change the present for the main protagonist.

There are plenty more details to pick out from the interview but I’d like to maintain as much mystery as possible. I’ll be heading right back into the demo tonight though, as soon as the sun goes down.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. BlazeHedgehog says:

I wonder if PC players are ever going to get a chance to play the demos that Playstation users have been enjoying so much.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

Looks like Christmas dinner round at my house apart from the lack of party hats and a crushing sense of disappointment.

Only three months to go!

3. soijohn says:

Too… much… darkness… Gamma… up

4. Jalan says:

Dammit, returning characters. Hopefully the roles they get are minor enough not to impact things so greatly. I’ve had my fill of the “old guard” at this point.

• PancakeWizard says:

Not me. The Japanese-designed characters are part of RE’s charm and getting rid of them would be like cutting Mario out of a Mario game.

This little preview actually disappoints me somewhat as it looks a little too Western/’real’ than what I expect from Resident Evil, which is plenty of Anime-style over-emoting and stilted dialogue.

I was hoping they’d embrace those anime roots rather than try to Westernise it further.

• Jalan says:

I’m missing something to your comment most likely, but beyond the writer, the entire team is Japanese. So all these characters are still designed from that angle.

My own comment was less about who designed what or what nationality was involved but more that I’m just tired of seeing the same characters in this series. Two decades with the same characters across multiple evil pharmaceutical corporations is plenty.

I went digging around on Reddit after my last comment and it seems like Chris is the returning character in this game but he apparently won’t have a huge role to play, at least that was my understanding of things.

• engion3 says:

Yeah, resident evil has some of the best characters in games of all time. I was obsessed with the series when I was younger, even read books n such.

Andy_Panthro says:

Looks good, I’m liking the 70s/80s horror movie stuff.

Interested that the demo is being updated, an odd thing to do but I might have to give it another shot.

The whole VCR bit looks like a potentially great mechanic too.

6. int says: