Star Wars Battlefront: Death Star Expansion Gets An Explode-y New Trailer, Release Date

X-Wings activate! Or whatever it is X-Wings do! It’s time to blow up the Death Star… again! But this time it’s in a video game—Star Wars Battlefront‘s [official site] Death Star add-on to be exact. If there’s one thing Star Wars’ bad guys love, it’s creating a massive planet-sized weapon and watching it get blown up by their enemies. When will they ever learn?

The Death Star expansion is out next Tuesday to Season Pass holders, so EA has treated us to a gameplay trailer. It looks as though you’ll be able to take the battle into outer space, or light up some Storm Troopers in frantic gun fights within the Death Star itself, re-enacting the classic battle.

Death Star introduces both Chewbacca and Bossk to the Star Wars Battlefront cast. You’ll be able to play as both, and they each have their own arsenal of special abilities and weapons.

The Death Star expansion also adds five new maps to the game, based both on the ground and in space, and you can bring the new K-16 Bryar Pistol or TL-50t Heavy Repeater with you. Wannabe-pilots can even fly around in a TIE-Fighter or an X-Wing.

Star Wars Battlefront: Death Star is out on September 20 to all Season Pass holders, two weeks before everyone else. You can get both Star Wars Battlefront and the Season Pass on EA Origin.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. SMGreer says:

I know Battlefront gets a lot of hate but oh my, this looks fun. If I wasn’t busy with a dozen other games, I’d be very tempted!

• spaced says:

I don’t know if i’d say I hate this game so much as I find it completely exasperating. They try to sell you on a fun, authentic SW experience, but I don’t find much fun about it. Spending more time dead than alive is never fun, and like others have pointed out the ships are no fun at all to fly. Making hem power ups doesn’t keep jerks from hogging a ship all round either. It’s the planes in Battlefield 2/3/4 all over again. The John Williams music does a lot of heavy lifting, and yes, it’s gorgeous to look at and sounds spectacular. But there aren’t enough game modes, maps, or (most importantly) any kind of motivating mechanics (short of weapon/ability upgrades and skins) that would make me want to spend more time in the game’s world. Chalk it up to being released in tandem with The Force Awakens I guess, but at the end of a play session it feels like more of a chore than a game. And given the license, “fun” should have been DICE’s top priority.

2. Det. Bullock says:

Dear EA,
    everyone is making spacesims with VR stuff but the guys who have the Star Wars license.
    Yes, I’m talking to YOU.
    And no, this Death Star DLC doesn’t count since the ships still handle like crap.
    It’s frankly embarassing.

A concerned Star Wars fan.

• Aerothorn says:

The ship handling is actually why I didn’t buy Battlefront. It was really, really bad, like, considerably worse than Battlefield – it just felt awful whether I was using joystick, mouse and keyboard, or gamepad. I’m sure there’s a trick to getting good at it, but I’m not sure there’s any way to make the flight controls pleasurable.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

Forget spaceships – imagine Episode I: Racer in VR!

• Turkey says:

Dear concerned Star Wars fan.

phuzz says:

Why would EA listen to the concerns of people who will throw money at them for literally anything with a Star Wars connection. They could change, but why bother when people will buy it whatever?

• wykydtronik says:

VR is not the greatest way to experience a AAA title…

3. Czrly says:

I think a new law should be enacted forthwith: no more videos are to be called gameplay trailers unless accompanied by a percentage indicated the share of the running time actually showing gameplay from the perspective that a real player might experience it.

Actually, scratch that. Let’s just call these plain-old-scripted-trailers and reserve the world “gameplay” for videos that show the whole experience. For example, those videos of the new DoW III actually were gameplay videos – they weren’t just scripted trailers with the odd half-second clip of game-play strategically inserted.

4. arcfault says:

I believe that X-Wings are told to: “Lock S-Foils in attack position” when starting attack runs.
    Which would be next to impossible in this version of Battlefront.

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, if you played the gamr you’d know when you fly an x-wing the first thing you see is the wings going into the attack position.

5. SuicideKing says:

Those sequences looked like they were “on rails”.

6. tonicer says:

It certainly looks nice but i’m never going to buy a game again where i depend on the publisher to host a masterserver of some sort.

Give the buyer the server files or fuck off!

7. Talbot says:

The FIRST STRIKE mod for Battlefield 2142 was infinitely superior to this glittery shite. The 2142 Revive team will be hosting an FS server when they go live on the 23rd September.

8. Unclepauly says:

2 yrs of Battlefront news and that’s what you came away with.

9. Sardonic says:

Wookies know the benefits of flying Amarr.

10. Apologised says:

Damn man. Why are the John Williams score and SW Foley Set so good?

This game is clearly visibly trash but those things are still able to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

11. GemFire81 says: