Toki Tori Dev Goes Out With A Bang In Rive

Toki Tori creators Two Tribes released their very final last game this week, the explosive shooter Rive [official site]. They’re going out in a blaze of glory, as Rive revels in bright and beautiful wholesale destruction.

Rive puts you in the shoes of scrappy space scavenger Roughshot, who’s trapped on a starship. The main goal is to engage in a glorious series of acrobatic fire fights as you blow up everything in your path, or hack robots and turn the starship’s defenses against it. It’s very fluid and flashy, and if you’ve got a competitive streak you’ll be pleased to know there’s a speedrun mode and leaderboards.

Two Tribes has been struggling with financial woes for a while. Back in 2014, the studio laid off most of its staff before restarting anew a short while later. While it’s sad to see a little indie studio succumb to economic hardship, their final game is clearly a work of love. Two Tribes reflected on their departure in a statement:

“This morning, the realization set in that today truly marks the end of an era, and that a lot is riding on the success of Rive. If it fails, it won’t be because we didn’t try. Rive is the best we can do, it’s what all of our actions these last years have lead to, to us it’s perfect! We hope you enjoy the hell out of our baby!”

And so with that, we bid Two Tribes farewell and wish them the best in their future endeavors. You can find Rive for Windows, Mac, and Linux on Steam, reduced until September 27 to £9.34/€12.74/$12.74.

From this site

1. Czrly says:

That looks like it could be properly fun. Why are they disbanding?

• Czrly says:

EDIT: Why are they disbanding BEFORE seeing if this title pulls them out of the red or not, that is? This could sell well enough.

• Shuck says:

I assume they have, like many studios in dire conditions, spent all their remaining funds making the game (and then some, possibly). Which means by the time they find out how the sales are, it will be too late – people will have already moved on to other things out of financial necessity.

• Aspirant_Fool says:

They’ve got a post about the reason on their site, here: link to twotribes.com

2. Tacroy says:

I am honestly surprised that they’re disbanding, because I was under the impression that Toki Tori 1 & 2 sold like a billion copies.

• Phasma Felis says:

Doesn’t matter how much your last game made if you plowed all of it back into your next game and it failed.

• Phasma Felis says:

Okay, Wikipedia says:

“In January 2014, Two Tribes B.V. filed for bankruptcy, mainly due to disappointing sales of Toki Tori 2. However, Two Tribes Publishing B.V., which owns and publishes all Two Tribes B.V. games and handles all contracts, remained unaffected. A new daughter company was formed to handle the development of future titles,” including RIVE.

So…I dunno. It’s confusing.

• Kitsunin says:

I don’t think it did? It seems like the kind of casualish game which would succeed, but unfortunately I suspect Toki Tori 2+ was ingenious in too many ways to actually make for a successful product.

• Niels 't Hooft says:

One of the developers here. Two Tribes is doing OK, but the founders have decided not to start a new project and do something else. RIVE will be supported as usual though, the first patch fixing the checkpoint issues was already put out on Steam.

3. Aspirant_Fool says:

I’ve just played through this over the last couple of days and enjoyed it. It’s got some weird checkpointing, and takes a couple missions to build up some steam, but I enjoyed it. I got it from Humble, the launch discount combined with my monthly member discount dropped it under $10, which feels like about the right price point. I haven’t dipped into the speedrun mode yet, but it seems like a poor fit with the setpiece-heavy design, lots of spots where you sit on one screen and just wait for the enemy spawns to run out, with them coming at the same rate regardless of how quickly you kill them. If the leaderboards are any indication, it’s not exactly selling like hotcakes – there are less than 120 people listed for the final mission and epilogue as I’m writing this.

• Aspirant_Fool says:

I’m the best at formatting.

• treat says:

Way to look like a spambot post. You’re only missing the hyperlink at the end.

• Niels 't Hooft says:

New enemies often spawn as soon as you deal with the old ones, so this is actually quite appropriate for Speedrun.

4. Yachmenev says:

It’s a shame, the trailer looks like proper fun. But when you look at the title of the game, the screenshots and the Steam icon for it, it looks like a run of the mill title that there are tons of.

• eLBlaise says:

I don’t think I have ever heard or read someone criticize a Steam icon before. I’m honestly not sure how to feel about this?