What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

The weekend is upon us: ready thyself. What are you playing in this brief respite? Here’s what we’re all clicking on.

Adam: I’m playing Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 and trying to figure out if it is the best football game ever made, as some reviews have declared. It’s definitely very good and almost every match I’ve played so far has had its own flow, rather than descending into basketball-like back and forth. The weekend is the time for a big dose of Master League, where I’ll test out coaching, transfer markets and all that fun stuff. I think it might be very very good indeed.
Alec: I’m not going to play anything. I would if I could but I can’t so I won’t. Play something really, really good for me, won’t you?
Alice: I’m down in That London this weekend to help run Saturday’s Wild Rumpus from 7pm at Hackney House [yes that’s enough plugging, thank you -ed.] so I’ll be playing both loads of games yet none, briefly bashing at treats and wonders including David Kanaga’s dog opera Oik OS and Digital Bird Playground [yes, moving on… -ed.] to test them before heading off to deal with something else. Though I could always just commandeer Devil Daggers.
Brendan: I have finally plucked up the mental willpower to start playing the strategic card game Duelyst and now I cannot stop. Every day I summon minions and cast spells. When the evening comes, I pretend to be working but really I am buffing my general’s attack strength. In the morning I stare at my breakfast in a daze of confusion and think: “why are these eggs not attacking the bread?” I leave the table, having shifted all the food around on my plate into a grid. The beans go uneaten. How much longer will this last? Help. I am casting a fire spell. Help.
Graham: I don’t know! Every game I’ve ever said I was going to play here, I then did not play, choosing something else instead. I’ve got Curious Expedition, the FIFA 17 demo, I still haven’t touched ABZU, I think about Satellite Reign every other week… By mentioning them, I’ve all but guaranteed I won’t play them. I’ll find something else.
John: This weekend I fully intend to play something new. I don’t know what new. But primarily something that isn’t No Man’s Sky. This weekend I am not going to play No Man’s Sky. I’m going to scour Steam, search Itch, scan Humble, find a new thing to play and write about, and it’s going to be beautiful.

Oh god I’m going to play No Man’s Sky, aren’t I?

Philippa: [Pip has been on holiday all week and so is probably playing I Miss Alice or Where’s Alice With Her Wit And Charm, or perhaps I Hope Dear Alice Isn’t Writing Anything Patronising Under My WAPWPAPWAPW Bit That’d Be Just Like Her She Knows It’s Not Funny Yet Thinks That Makes It Funny Why Are We Even Friends.]

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Captain Narol says:

Same as John…

2. ButteringSundays says:

I know I’m late to the party but I finally picked up Crusader Kings II and a few of the more popular expansions. So I’ll be mostly learning this weekend, I guess!

Also some Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 because it’s something I bought and am rather enjoying!

• Veles says:

Don’t bother with the whole Ireland think that most people recommend for beginners. I found it a bit full and it put me off. I eventually played as a random Hungarian duke, a faction demanded I became king. Then another faction booted me out. A good taste of the stories you can get with this game and it got me hooked.

3. Ooops says:

After a string of disappointments this week (most notably Obduction aka Cluelessly Walking Back And Forth Simulator), I’m back to my comfort food game, replaying A Mini Falafel Adventure (freeware metroidvania) and I’m giggling like it’s my first playthough.

Herzog says:

Metro: Last Light
    Two hours in and making my way to Polis. Great atmosphere and world building as in the first part. Shooting also feels good. Still the game is also more on rails then part one. Will stick with it.

NEO Scavenger
    Trying to survive for more then 24 hours and not freeze to death.

This weekend I will beat Yama. 100%

• Chorltonwheelie says:

Ah yes!
      Just finished another replay of Metro 2033 and embarked on Last Light again. New GTX1080 to test is my excuse. Harcore Ranger…in Russian. Love it to bits.
      (..and I’ll be fitting in a big Paddy wedding today. There will be fisticuffs and excessive drinking of course)

• DanMan says:

Funny coincidence – I’ve also started playing Last Light (on Linux btw.) after not being able to warm up to 2033. 100 minutes in, it’s flowing somewhat better, so I shall play it some more.
      Please don’t suck this time, Metro, will ya?

5. Agnosticus says:

A healthy mixture of Red Orchestra 2, R6: Siege, Rocket League and GTA V

• klops says:

I miss RO2 but will not touch it any more. Too addictive.

• Agnosticus says:

Hmm, never really stroke me as a specially addictive game, time-consuming yes, but addictive? Compared to Rocket League, it’s an aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitor, for me at least ;)

• klops says:

Time consuming AND addictive. Hmm, another three-round match for Bridges? Sure! Forget about the classes I should be doing for tomorrow.

I enjoy the mean rifle shots to the guts too much. And destroying tanks. And playing on a team with a good communication and commander (ok, that’s very rare). And machine gunning from a good spot. Mmh. Mmmmh!

6. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I’m going to finish the little Endless Space game I started this week, the sequel previews reminded me I had it from an ancient Steam sale. Unfortunately it seems to be very very like Endless Legend but with the personal stories and tactical combat removed. It’s good enough I want to see how this game pans out though.

Will also check out Battefield 4, see how well populated Premium map servers look now they’ve made it free.

There’s also a copy of the Last of Us Remastered sat on the PS4. Will give that a whirl if the wife allows me unfettered access to the TV. I’ve heard it’s quite good.

7. Xanadu says:

Board games. Weekend in the peak district with folk from RPS’s Guild Wars 2 group.

8. Zekiel says:

I’m playing “suffering withdrawal symptoms for finally finishing Pillars of Eternity which took over 100 hours and more than 4 months”. And resisting the temptation to start another 4-month playthrough.

Hopefully I’ll get time to try out Invisible Inc. Some people seem to think its quite good.

• Czrly says:

I started playing Invisible Inc. last night and enjoyed my first experiences with it. I worry that it will get old quickly, though, and hope to be surprised when it doesn’t. I have only played about three or four infiltrations and… they were more or less all exactly the same thing. I hope the game changes things up SOON, before that thing starts to wear thin.

• skeletortoise says:

Yes, yes it is. Play that. I’ve been trying to sell people on it and spread the good word because I’ve become a True Believer, but I always feel nervous I’m going to overdo it and people will be let down and/or it simply won’t click for them like it did for me. So then I give a long disclaimer on my recommendation and oh god it’s all happening right now.

(It’s a total reset permadeath affair and a playthrough that isn’t an immediate complete failure takes a few hours. I failed near the end many times and didn’t even hesitate to start over. These are objective facts that may hopefully cancel out my above weakness. Amen.)

Strangely Brown says:

Will be playing Elite Dangerous at some point, to continue my expedition to Sagittarius A*. Bit bored though, wish I had another character so I could do something else, not just travel and explore systems/planets.

Only started playing Enderal last weekend, so I’ll probably give that a go as well. Very impressive as mods go, but it’s still Skyrim. Can’t believe how dated and clunky it feels, it’s no TW3, that’s for sure.

10. mOrs says:

I will go on playing the Battlerite Closed Beta, which surprised me by being pretty great in my opinion, despite being a MOBA distilled to its very core mechanics. Action feels somewhat like Smite from a Dota perspective.
    Anyone who isn’t put off by that description can grab one of these keys for the ongoing beta weekend, as MOBA players naturally have no friends to give freebies to (anymore):
    B: RFL9H-57HW5-4AL44

• Koozer says:

Even mentioning MOBA does it a disservice though. It’s as much a MOBA as Diablo is to me. It’s a top-down fighty game with abilities and skillshots.

11. SBLux says:

The PC remake of Mickey Mouses’ Castle Of Illusion! It took about 2.5 hours to complete and is far easier than I remember the Mega Drive version being but I enjoyed it immensely.

12. Halford9000 says:

I recently started my first run through System Shock 2. But having heard of the remake, I think I’m gonna ditch it and play Vampire the Masquerade to scratch that fprpg itch. Also itching for a top down arpg with an immersive world like Sacred and Lionheart Legacy of the Crusader. Maybe I should try Divine Divinity?

• SBLux says:

Divine Divinity is brilliant! If you are an old school Ultima fan you will be in heaven.

• Michael Fogg says:

DD is essentially a hack’n’slash not that different from Titan Quest or Torchlight and the like. It’s good but not the first thing I’d recommend when asked for a top down rpg with an immersive world. Maybe Arcanum?

• malkav11 says:

It is far more RPG than Diablo-style hack-n-slash and there is tons of immersive world stuff – every object can be picked up and moved around (sometimes to more purpose than others), there’s an extensive alchemy system, NPCs react to little things you do, etc. Divine Divinity is exactly the right answer to the question posed. Maybe you’re thinking of something else? Sacred, for example, I found pretty disappointing next to Divine Divinity – it’s a solid enough hack-n-slash and there’s a lot more questing and freedom than in your average Diablo clone, but in terms of design it’s a lot thinner than DD.

Another possible alternative (though not quite as good) would be Kult: Heretic Kingdoms (also known as Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition in the US, although I’m not sure it’s sold under that title digitally anymore). Interesting story where you are an inquisitor for an Inquisition that is sworn to purge gods from the world. Two versions of every area (regular world and spirit world) that you can switch between at will. Skills learned from your gear by collecting experience (kinda like FFIX, though I like the system here better) and then slotted on your character. A unique take on healing items where they’re infinite but gradually wear down your max HP with every use until you find a safe resting spot to sleep. (Better items hurt your max HP less.) Multiple endings. Tons of good stuff there. They’ve put out a sequel that might also be good but I have yet to play it.

• fish99 says:

There’s a remake of System Shock coming, but not of SS2 AFAIK. There’s also talk of a SS3.

13. aircool says:

Elder Scrolls Online.

Bought the new Gold edition. I have a horse, a cool pet dog and a whole world of things to steal. I also have a tea-towel on my cat head and run with a confident swagger… yaaargh!

It’s a high quality game and well worth the money.

particlese says:

Glad you’re enjoying the kleptofest! I went back to Skyrim last weekend because I have yet to beat Dragonborn, and I immediately noticed that I used to be much more choosy about my loot. I’m just kinda taking everything now, and quickly running into the inventory wall. In ESO, there’s an option called “auto loot” or something, and it is amazing for taking the fiddliness out of consolidating all of Tamriel’s scattered goods into a single pocket.

I also discovered that ESO is much less Elder Scrollsey than I had gotten to thinking it was, but it’s still good and tons of fun, yep! :)

• malkav11 says:

I’m glad that the initial “bleh” reaction to ESO seems to be fading in favor of people actually stopping to appreciate the cool things it’s doing. It’s not what everyone might have wanted from the title, and it’s limited by its MMOness in some respects from really feeling like classic Elder Scrolls, as you say, but in other respects I think it’s actively better – particularly the skill system and combat.

14. Haplo says:

More Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.

15. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I shall be cracking on with Bioshock Sortofremastered. It is all very pretty, I do have to say.

• kregg says:

Even though I’ve managed to get the Bioshock Remastered edition, I keep getting weird graphical glitches with it.

I ended up modding the original (unlocking 60FPS animations, widescreen fix, FOV fix, removed mouse smoothing), set game in compatibility mode to fix sound – the game actually holds up (once you do the 10 million fixes to the game).

• Michael Fogg says:

Reading the recent coverage just made me feel like reinstalling the old games. The whole joy of semi-retro titles like these is that you play them as a fully pathced version on a system with a solid overhead that usually gives you near ideal performacne. What’s the point of a new version with sharper textures which you stop noticing after a few minutes, but with new texture pop-in, new bugs, lower fps due to the higher sys reqs, etc.

16. shitflap says:

Listening to T-WOG$, apparently

17. Freud says:

Heroes of the Storm. The new Starcraft map is excellent and Alarak is a hero with a very high skill cap.

18. yogibbear says:

Because I finished Rise of the Tomb Raider, and purchased it a couple of weeks ago when it was on sale so it cost the same as the non-sale price on release in USD, removing for the stupid brick and mortar mark up in my stupid country.

Sinomatic says:

I’m mostly playing ‘trying not to vomit from the sickening pain coming from my shoulder’. I’m hoping to occasionally intersperse that with Rocket League and get on with my second playthrough of Mankind Divided (when the painkillers allow).

Andy_Panthro says:

Finished Firewatch last night, which was brilliant. Also enjoyed this video on it: link to youtube.com

Busy for most of Saturday, but Sunday shall be a continuation of either Battle for Wesnoth or DE: Mankind Divided (or perhaps a little bit from both).

21. zsd says:

Finished up the main story of DmC Devil May Cry, now doing Vergil’s Downfall although I think I will stop before I finish it. The fighting’s still fun, although the story took about as bad a turn as I thought it would.

Also FFRK as usual. I have 20? 21? more elite realm dungeons before I’ve done them all. I’ve been doing this for quite a while.

tkjgmz says:

Still Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I have to read every e-mail and sell off every weapon I find – and I have still a big part of the main missions ahead of me. Please, send help.

23. Chaoslord AJ says:

NMS and Deus EX:MD didn’t capture me as long as I thought so I went and got the Witcher 3 DLCs where I’m now tackling death march.

24. celticdr says:

Bought Rimworld this weekend thanks to Brendan’s diary: What a bastard.

To say that it’s addictive is an understatement – I’ve already plugged in 14 hrs and I would have more if I didn’t have an 11 hr shift today… loading it now.

PS: I hope 19 yro Leonid gets over his 38 yro son Travis’ death – he keeps getting rebuffed by Onion the mute sculptor.

• SBLux says:

I loved it but had to stop playing because it made me sad. I would get really attached to my little colonists and people kept turning up and blowing their legs off etc. It sounds silly but it’s true.

25. KieranFurie says:

On my bold mission to make some headway through my games backlog I’ll be playing some Dragons Age Inquisition and some Company of Heroes which I’ve easily put a couple of hundred hours into without ever completing the campaign.

26. Onedice says:

Just finishing Metro last light redux which has been awesome I played through 2033 redux (played the original version when it came out) brilliant games! And then onto Bioshock remastered I have played through it twice before but is easily one of most loved games so any excuse to play through again, can’t wait :-)

27. Darloth says:

Everspace, mostly.

It’s exactly what I’m looking for as a short burst 3d space shooter.

28. Jeroen D Stout says:

Populous: The Beginning. So help me Jove one of these days I will SINK the entire opponent’s base.

• poliovaccine says:

Oof.. that one hit me right in the childhood..! If I still had my old disc I’d say the idea was contagious… *goes off hopefully looking to find it as abandonware*

29. obscured021 says:

I write this as I sit look at and think about doing the big gap jump over the river on my mountain bike, if I make it, I will play red out, if I don’t another trip to A&E is more likely

• SBLux says:

Did you make it?

• dahools says:

His silence suggests the air ambulance has been called.

On a positive side there will be loads of time to play games in hospital :)

I Picture man with legs in plaster suspended in stirrups with token bandage round head.

In reality hope he made it.

• obscured021 says:

Made the jump 5m gap to a 2m step-up on the bank on the far side, I hit it a few times, going to play some Redout and Halo 5 forge, it asked me to prove my humanity before I logged in, machines can add so my quest continues.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

Somehow after reading this I am less convinced you are a human and not a machine quite good at pretending.

Lars Westergren says:

Bioshock 1 Remastered, so far. Pillars of Eternity perhaps. Maybe some Dota, but I’m as tired of coming up with variations on that sentence as Alec is of finding out something new to write about the fact that GTA V is on the Steam charts.

31. criskywalker says:

Bioshock 2 here. I agree with you that it’s the best one. I was amazed to come back to Rapture after so many years! It looks as good as always.

Of course Rocket League as well. Rumble mode is crazy fun!

32. gabrielonuris says:

The Crew. It’s free on Uplay, downloaded it to give it a try and now you look at that, I’m addicted! I didn’t know the USA was so beautiful, and the car customization is astonishing, and surely beyond anything EA has done in the last years with Need For Speed.

• Barberetti says:

Thanks for the reminder. Just grabbed it!

I think I’ll start that downloading tomorrow morning, so it’ll be ready by the time I get back from my lunchtime pub session.

33. Person of Interest says:

I will be watching the live stream (starts at 18:00Z) of Roguelike Celebration, which will have presentations by the original developers of Rogue and other Roguelikes such as ADOM, DCSS, and Angband.

34. Zenicetus says:

Continuing a co-op playthrough of Divinity Original Sin, and then a bit of solo simulation under the waves with Subnautica, and above the waves with X-Plane.

particlese says:

Occasionally, I come across a game which makes me not want to play games for a bit afterwards — at least for the rest of the evening. And I mean that in a good “I want to stop, hold onto that feeling, and think independently for a bit” kind of way. The second chapter of Life is Strange was that game for me last night, and, for a little perspective, I haven’t encountered that since Journey back in 2012. I really highly recommend playing it now. I very nearly got The Feels.

So yeah, I might not play any games for the remainder of the weekend. I’m not even in the mood for Devil Daggers.

Ben King says:

Episodes two and three were the emotional highlights of that one for me. Although ultimately I didn’t really enjoy the game Chloe Price is a treasure of a character and I was really glad to get to hang out with her.

particlese says:

She is! Good to hear there’s more goodness ahead, at least for a little bit.

I have a sort of inverse problem with the game, where there are a bunch of little and a couple big things (certain themes and how the characters treat them) I dislike about it, but overall, so far, I love it.

particlese says:

All right, so no Devil Daggers, but Squarecells got me back on the computer. Booted it up and finally beat a puzzle I’d been stuck on for ages, and it was glorious! Took over an hour, but totally worth it. Beat the following puzzle, too, which took me just under an hour.

Then I played Flat Heroes based on the article here and the Steam store videos, and it is good! Wasn’t expecting this much goodness out of an early access title, to be honest, and the dev was quick to respond to a hug report.

Thulsa Hex says:

SWAT 4 is my main “new” thing this week, which I guess is appropriate given all the Bioshock/Irrational Games discussion. I’m having a great time with it! The first thing that struck me was that it looks and feels much more modern and polished than I expected. The environmental design is particularly strong, in both theme and function, and provides a surprisingly tangible aesthetic thread between this and the first Bioshock. It baffles me now more than ever that it still isn’t available for sale, anywhere. I’d buy it!

I’m also giving Cities: Skylines a proper go, having barely scratched it’s surface when I bought it nine months ago (I think getting it just before XCOM 2 launched was naive). It’s really lovely. Now, if only I can get over the anxiety towards my road planning handiwork that sets in when my town reaches a few thousand folks, invariably prompting a restart…

Finally, I may or may not try to finish Persona 3 FES, depending on the flow of the weekend.

37. dahools says:

Giving in to another good steam sale I indulged myself on Bastion, LEGO Jurassic Park and Shadow of mordor last night,
    Had a listen to the Bastion soundtrack before bed so I suppose I should play one of them this weekend, but I still have Shadowrun HongKong to finish and got back into MGS V:PP during the week and it plays as fresh as the day it came out which was surprising, a good break from it seems to have brought life back to it no end.

38. DompR says:

The news of GW and FFG getting a divorce finally made me commit and buy Forbidden Stars, which thankfully turned out to be amazing so far. The remainder of the weekend will probably be a daze of geeking out about all the gorgeous plastic bits (FOR THE BIT GOD, etc.) and getting the rules of movement/routing/unit capacity wrong.

heretic says:

Brigador some more, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst which I picked up for 12.5 quid from Origin from the weekly deals…

40. SMGreer says:

Diaries of a Space Janitor. It’s lovely.

41. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I’m on a quest.
    I’m trying to prove to the world, beyond any reasonable doubt, that I’m a very stupid man.
    I’ll accomplish this noble goal by insisting on failing to play hex-based wargames of the not too groggy variety: in the last few weeks, I bought Unity of Command (great, but frustrating in the conflict between tight objectives and RNG), its grandfather Panzer General II and the free version, Open General.
    I try to settle for: “I won? Good enough”. Sadly, most of these games demand that I take them seriously and win with better scores or I won’t be able to progress. It’s starting to get irritating, but I’m persisting.

In the meantime, the progress bar for the DOOM download moves on and on. I got the game for “free” with my new monitor and I might decide that a more hands on approach to warfare is more my style. Besides, I’m still trying to justify to myself the purchase of that fucking 1070 and playing games with engines from 1997 doesn’t help.

42. kelmorg says:

I’ve had Bioshock 2 sitting in my Steam library for years unplayed so this was a good weekend to finally play it. Rebounded back into No Man’s Sky, and picked up a cheap Mad Max so will take a look at that at some point.

43. fish99 says:

Not feeling anything. Waiting for Dark Souls III DLC and the improved Skyrim.

I did start Human Revolution a few weeks ago but it didn’t grab me (again). No sure the point in augmentations when you’re going to spend the whole game creeping up behind someone and choking them.

44. Aerothorn says:

Glad to hear you like Duelyst, Brendan. I tried to start an RPS game club and one person showed up. It really is a gem.

Big Dunc says:

I’m playing host to my parents this weekend, so won’t be playing anything, but I’m dreaming of playing Rimworld. Lovely, lovely, time-sapping, life-invading Rimworld…

46. Gomer_Pyle says:

After completing the tutorial “Get Freakin’ Battlelog to work properly!”, I will be trying out the free trial for Battlefield 4 since they released the expansions for free. If I like it enough I may just buy it since they have a promotion going on where you can get 50% off just about anything on the store. Besides that, I may also continue with my EUIV Ottoman campaign, planning on how to take out the Hungarians.

47. Barberetti says:

World of Warcraft. I played Horde years ago, and never bothered levelling an Alliance character past 10 or so, so I figured what the hell.

Man, I forgot how great the ambient music was in this game!

Currently stomping around Westfall with my human rogue, kicking arse and getting mine kicked on more than one occasion. I’ve decided to play with no help whatsoever, so quest rewards, drops and vendors are my only source of weapons, armour and bags. Good fun so far, and getting ready to head on over the the night elf levelling area for a laugh.

If I can remember the “normal” way to it. Only ever been there with my Horde characters (evil cackle).

48. fahdiz says:

I’ll be playing Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor, Overland, Necropolis, and possibly SUPERHOT this weekend. When the lady’s away, the fella will chill with his dog and play video games.

49. geldonyetich says:

I just finished “Diaries of a Space Janitor” in terms of “I encountered a gamebreaking bug and cannot go an further.” (The third piece of the skull breaking talisman isn’t attainable because the NPC isn’t where she said she’d be, and it’s bee acknowledged by the developers as a bug.) So I guess it’s back to Fallout 4 for me for now.

50. Imbecile says:

Well, just played and finished journey, which was nice. Other than that some bf4, rocket league, and then trying to shift from neverwinter to deus ex md. Like doogie howser.

Comment on this story