Devil Daggers Summons New Skulls, Top-Down Replays

New satanskulls are now roaming the darkness of Devil Daggers [official site], thanks to an update launched today. Along with new enemies, the ‘V3′ update has added a top-down viewing mode for replays, which makes the FPS’s arena shoot ’em up stylings even clearer. It’s both cool to look at and helpful, as finally I can learn about the horrors I only ever hear behind me. Also new: a Linux version.

Here, check out my current best time from a top-down perspective (please ignore the shambles when the first skullspider spawns):

That’s a nice view, isn’t it? Heck, I’m glad to finally discover why I died at the end there – in first-person view, all I could see was bones and I had no idea they coiled so tightly. I also like that it helps make Devil Daggers easier to follow for non-experienced players; in a first-person replay I can mostly tell what’s going on everywhere by sound and suspicion, but this makes it a lot clearer. Let’s all learn from our mistakes, gang, and dagger devils better than ever.

As for the new enemies in V3, they include satanspires – some big spiky obstacles that takes a good few hits to destroy – and a honking great armoured version of the flying skulltipede. Not that I’ll ever meet them, behind – they only start appearing after you defeat the ‘boss’.

While V2 brought a leaderboard wipe along with its new enemies, V3 is sticking to the same old scores. Presumably that’s because V2’s appear relatively early on, while only a few hundred players have even seen the boss. So sure, the leaderboards aren’t strictly fair now but maybe here it’s better to not muck around the other 25,000 active players – and it’s not like any of us will beat Devil Daggers mega-champion Sojk anyway.

If you want to see the new baddies, skip to 6:30 in this run from Sojk in the V3 beta:

V3 has added more stats too, telling players numbers like how long they’ve survived in total across every run.

Helping run The Wild Rumpus this past weekend (context; not a plug), I bumped into old man Kieron Gillen staring at Devil Daggers. I tried goading him into playing so I could record him being awful then share it with you today and shame him in front of the world, but he rose above my childish ploy. When did he get so dignified?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Yukiomo says:

This really must be the best-looking game that has been released in the past few years.

• Sic says:

Software rendering <3

• Jediben says:

Oh I see! You lifted the line in the other article from this one as SARCASM. Really, I do have egg on my face now eh? Made a comprehensive fool there, what with my reading articles in reverse chronological order and not detecting that piece of whimsy. I do apologise wholeheartedly. I say, let’s just chalk this one down to a temporal discordant, as we both very much realise that, had there been some sort of, oh I don’t know, a hint perhaps, that you were making an allusion to past events, well I most certainly would have picked up on it almost immediately and we could have avoided this charade altogether, yes? What I think I’m trying to say is what the bloody he’ll do you think you are doing? Eh? Trying to make me look foolish in front of your chums was it? That the PLAN hmm? Damn your eyes! DAMN THEM BOTH!

2. Ichi_1 says:

I was a person at the rumpus. I think I lasted about 45 seconds on my first play, which I guess isn’t too bad. Those years of Doom probably stayed buried in my twitch fibres.

I also won a very tense game of Giraffe Volleyball against a random stranger.

Fun times.

3. Imaginary Llamas says:

Top-down view looks a lot like Teleglitch.

4. RaoulDuke says:

I never thought there would be a post about this update, oh wait, ITS THE ONLY GAME ALICE PLAYS, haha.

5. fish99 says:

Neat. Shame me old replay is gone though.

I set myself a goal with this game, to get top-500 (my best of 359 seconds was top 500 when I did it), and once I achieved that I basically stopped playing it. At 60 hrs I got my moneys worth though.

6. BebopBraunbaer says:

i am no fan of fps games but “top down” i would play this game all day

7. freeze says:

I’ll check it out. I don’t feel the need to play it if they aren’t going to reset the leaderboards though. link to or keyserxx channel :)

particlese says:

Oh, jeez, the blackened skull2 is freaky! Thanks for the link. :D

I guess sticking to watching Sojk for good/skillful runs means I never get to see how some of the cool higher-level stuff works. One of these days, I’ll get to hear/see those enemies for myself, and I will die immediately.

particlese says:

And one of these days, I’ll find the hidden edit button…

particlese says:

Wooo! I’ve been slacking big time on playing this game lately. What a good excuse to jump back in the saddle. And Linux support! I had hoped for but didn’t expect that, but I am delighted.

Comment on this story