Fulton Risen Blues: Metal Gear Survive

If the very mention of Metal Gear Survive [official site], an MGS V cooperative zombie survival spin-off, makes you fume and spit like a malfunctioning furnace, the fifteen minutes of in-game footage below might not convince you to reconsider. I’m willing to give it a chance though, partly because the wide open spaces of The Phantom Pain seem well-suited to spotting of distant hordes, but mostly because the video shows the Fulton dragging zombies and sheep alike through a sky portal back to Hell.

If you didn’t watch the whole thing, you should at least look at the last minute. There’s some nifty bow action but more importantly, a mob of zombies force a fence to collapse simply by piling against it. If the base-building (which seems to focus on trap and obstacle placement) can be undone by breaches like that, there should be a pleasant sense of tension and dread when the zombies arrive en masse. I could go for Metal Gear meets State of Decay.

For a long time now, I’ve been arguing that the likes of Rockstar and Ubisoft should recycle the cities they build for their GTAs, Watchdogs and Assassin’s Creeds – if you make these incredible things, don’t chuck them out and start all over again once you’ve released the latest open world kill and collect ’em up that uses the space. And if the imagination only goes so far as to dump a load of zombies into downtown Los Santos or Lovecraftian beasties around the canals of Venice, I’d probably be OK with that. Provided the eventual game is actually well-constructed, of course.

Metal Gear maestro Hideo Kojima, who left Konami last year, said yesterday that Survive is “totally unrelated” to him, and that there is “no reason” for zombies to show up in a Metal Gear game. Kojima has expressed a desire to make a zombie game before but presumably he didn’t think the undead would fit into the tightly controlled political/military fiction of the Metal Gear universe.

Survive will have a solo mode as well as co-op, but if those sky portals don’t vomit out giant mech-like hellmonsters from time to time, then the whole thing might actually be a mistake after all.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Llewyn says:

Oh my, that is quite some title Mr Smith.

Anyway, I shall be steering well clear of this mindless Cash-in.

2. Meat Circus says:

Of for fuck’s sake.

Fuck Konami.

3. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

MGSV: 2008 edition. I really don’t get Konami. Not only are they are so contemptuous towards their customers, but they are so insanely out of touch with them too. I don’t understand how companies like this continue to thrive, it’s bananas

4. wykydtronik says:

I’m not 100% sure if I’m going to pick this game up, but I’m curious as to what it will be like. I’ve always been a fan of MGS games, the fact that it will be released on Steam is awesome!

• Slinkusss says:

Your fandom of MGS games should not be a criteria for deciding whether to buy this game. It is not an MGS game. It is a another game made with the same engine, skins, textures and IP names and likenesses. In this disturbing case, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s a fucking platypus.

5. Earl-Grey says:

This just looks like a mod for Metal Gear Online.
    It baffles me how someone can consider this a good idea, surely people just look at this and snort in amused pity?
    I’m not going to repeat Sterling’s rather tactless mantra, but … bugger Konami.

• Earl-Grey says:

Also, I thought the game took place in an alternate dimension, so how the bloody hell have they gotten satellite imagery to create maps from?! For crying out loud, I’m a land surveyor and this really pisses me off!

• hungrycookpot says:

Well seeing as how they’re still on Earth, with man-made structures etc, maybe the alternate dimension has the exact same topography as the real world. And as there are man made structures, like military bases, which aren’t known to stick around long, meaning that either this world popped into existence after their creation, or they popper into existence in this alternate universe at the same time they were built in our universe, then why couldn’t there be working GPS satellites as well?

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Exactly my thoughts, I would be equally unimpressed if a one-person mod team presented this as their new total conversion. It’s EXACTLY THE SAME, but with 4 player co-op, simpler AI and more of the already boring collecting and crafting. Who looked at MGSV and thought, you know what the world needs, another f-ing Zombie game. We’ll set it in another universe so we can keep the label, and not have to do any new helicopter animations, etc, by magicing everything into and out of existence using portals.

Either this is the laziest cash in ever, or everyone who played the prototype found it so incredibly fun they demanded it get made. On paper it is dog sh!t pie.

6. Bull0 says:

Excellent title.

You know who’s good at reusing their cities with a few gameplay tweaks? Volition.

• Spacewalk says:

You know who’s good at not fucking off their customers? Volition.

• N'Al says:

Haven’t played any of the Saints Row titles (which I presume is what you’re referring to?), so can’t comment, but I find the idea of rehashing a city in an open world game quite dubious. To me, exploring and discovering the (layout of) cities is one of the raison d’être of open world games. Copying and pasting a city loses you exactly that.

I mean, I just recently completed Crackdown 2, and whilst I prefer it over the original in a lot of ways the fact that it’s set in the same city – admittedly heavily modified – does dampen my enthusiasm somewhat. It’s no wonder they’re moving to a new city for Crackdown 3.

• Bull0 says:

Saints Row IV re-uses Steelport but adds a load of sci-fi buildings, and has a spin-off that is basically “demonic” Steelport with hellish stuff scattered around. In both cases the player has a load of new abilities that make traversing the city different but it’s still the same districts, etc. I’m a fan, perhaps not at full retail price but they’re regularly deeply discounted and easy to recommend on that basis.

I think GTA IV and V do a lot right by giving you absolutely loads to do in the city. It’s criminal that there’s been no singleplayer DLC for GTA V, mind.

7. Vynxar says:

it is just convincing me even more that the second part of MGSV wasn’t made by the same man or at least a Kojima which was just following directives from above.
    I personnaly think they stored him in a cupboard for remaining time of the dev ;p
    Kojima said that Metal Gear games were about political fiction/espionnage and that zombies have nothing to do into it, he would have used mechs instead.
    If you just take a look at the MGSV second part in africa we’ve got “zombies” there, even though they are not called by that name, they are still technicaly zombies.
    And the game story line tend to get even more messy from there as if it was not even the same game.

• Artea says:

But MGS games over which Kojima had full creative control over have featured far more ridiculous things like zombies.

It’s funny how long-time MGS fans seem to dislike the Phantom Pain on account of creative middling from executives, when it’s the only game in the series with competent stealth. And its story is hardly any worse than the convoluted soap operas of previous games.

• Vynxar says:

just to be clear, MGSV is by far, the opus which has the best gameplay, the Afganistan part is very good and fit very well into the serie but the Africa part feels just off.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

As someone who played up to the first mission or two of Africa before taking a break, is it really so bad it’s not worth returing to? I keep meaning to, I’d just had enough of it at the time.

Mungrul says:

Wait, zombies wouldn’t fit in MGS?
    Then what were they doing in The Phantom Pain?
    Okay, call them “Puppet Soldiers” or whatever you want, but they were still damn zombies.

9. A Wanderer says:

I…I don’t understand the rationale behind this. It’s like Konami asked someone “hey, give us an idea for a game that would sell well”, and the guy just took a look at the popular tags in steam, and said “well, let’s just make an open-world coop survival game with zombies. It has the four most popular tags on steam, it can’t fail. Right ?”

10. Kefren says:

The compass circle around the midriff is distracting, like a hologram hula hoop. After 30 seconds I was already wanting to turn it off, before remembering there are no HUD settings in Youtube videos.

11. Bullfrog says:

So Kojima thinks there’s “no reason” for zombies to show up in a Metal Gear game.

*pauses for laughter to subside*

Metal Gear, where battle-grandpas and flying psychics pass without mention, but ‘zombies’? No way!

Just make up a bullshit reason for it and crowbar it in like literally everything else in the series.

12. KastaRules says:

That is gonna be a HUGE success for sure.

13. Turkey says:

That’s the second Japanese game with nape stabbing I’ve seen this month.

Oakreef says:

Looks pretty fun.

• khalilravanna says:

Right? It does look like it could be a lot of fun. I mean MGSV had some incredibly polished and fun gameplay. Why wouldn’t a spin off of that same gameplay/engine not possibly produce more fun? You’d think that based on all these comments that Konami had produced a remaster of ET or something.

Maybe this is being dismissive but it seems to me that a lot of this negativity is people conflating their emotions over Konami’s screwing-over-Kojima/ripping-the-Metal-Gear-branding-for-a-zombie-game with their appraisal for a new game. I mean sure Konami done goofed but can we not look at the game totally separate from that? If we can, I think it looks like it has a lot of potential.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Child labour sweatshop products might be good too but you will endorse illegal and terrible treatment of fellow humans.

15. Synesthesia says:

See, dammit. Why did kojima have to make such a good engine? Even a clone of a zombie/survival/boredom simulator looks interesting in it. Goddammit.

Also fuck konami.

• deadlybydsgn says:

Yeah. The MGSV demo didn’t do enough to make me want to buy it, but I was certainly impressed by how good the engine looked and ran.

• Jetsetlemming says:

Totally agree, that actually looked pretty cool, especially, as noted in the article, the fence slowly collapsing under the weight of crystal things.
      I did note that, besides the collection of crafting materials, the menu also had hunger and thirst meters, a weight carry limit, and status percentages on all the weapons and clothing of the player. This could be an intelligently designed and balanced system of scarcity that makes the game tense and fun to play… or it could be a “Fee to Pay” pile of shit. Which will Konami make!? I GUESS WE’LL SEE. I’m okay with reusing assets and shit, since they’re “remixing” them in a novel way, like with the Saints Row sequels. I’m just not trusting on how they’ll implement these resource mechanics. In MGSV there’s already this “MB Coin” premium currency system for building extra bases and buying resources…

16. GenericGamer99 says:

Didn’t know this was coming. If the single player is legit, I’m in. I thought the MGSV engine was fantastic but in a way wasted on an unfinished game. I’d love some zombie stealth infiltration with a silenced sniper rifle.

The only downside is that killing zombies just isn’t as fun as humans. Hopefully the zombies are being controlled by someone who you have to stop.

17. Chillicothe says:

Its less “fuming and spitting” and more eye rolling and laughing.

Qazinsky says:

I don’t know about this.

Zombies feels like a step down from intelligent enemies with guns as enemies. But for a zombie game, it does look very promising, what with the zombies slowly bending the fence and start crawling over until they actually manage to break it. The combat looks pretty neat.

I think I would have felt better about this game if it hadn’t been called MGS. Really, a new game in the same engine they made MGS5 with, that sounds pretty good.

19. Sin Vega says:

This will do fine, because not everyone is a kojima fanboy. Like all sane humans I was sick to death of bloody zombies years ago, but this clearly still has a lot of potential, and I’m glad to see the incredible design ideas of MGS 5 used for something else instead of wasted on a single game like they usually are.

Konami acted like twats, sure, but that’s seldom stopped a game from being good or making heaps of money.

20. mrvega says:

Don’t get the negativity and “fuck Konami” comments (did I miss something?).

I know zombies are played-out, but this looks decent.

• death_au says:

Long story short Konami screwed over a bunch of its devs, Kojima especially, so now he’s off working in a seperate studio while Konami turn the Metal Gear series into generic zombie survival and a FOX engine remake of the best game in the series… as a pachinko machine.
      Fuck( K)onami is just a thing now.

That being said, I really like the gameplay in MGSV, and this just looks like more of the same in a different setting. More like a COD + Zombies expansion than a seperate game.

• Jetsetlemming says:

They forced Kojima to resign because MGSV was taking a long time (only a year longer than the average time to make an MGS game, based on the series’ release dates). They cancelled Silent Hills because they were forcing him out. Most of the SH games since they disbanded Team Silent in a similar way to how they treated Kojima years ago have been garbage, spread across unknown Euro teams, except for Shattered Memories and SH:0, both were pretty okay, so of course they didn’t get to keep making games for the series.
      In general, they’ve massively mistreated all their franchises and most of their employees, focusing on pachinko machines, gambling halls and health spas over novel, worthwhile products.

21. rymm says:

I like the look of this, the game engine was good so why not base more games around it? Yeh it could be a dlc but they are pricing it like one so meh. Maybe they should have just not stuck the mgs name on it to avoid he complaints? all these folks hateing it realise they could just not buy it right? I’m willing to give it a chance if it reviews well.
    also, there was totally zombies in phantom pain.

22. Jetsetlemming says:

The FOX engine was baller, one of the very best open world game engines I’ve ever seen. It blows Bethesda’s tech out of the water, even idtech, imo. Incredibly sad that Kojima won’t get to keep using it, but hopefully he took the tech geniuses who worked on it with him.
    And I guess maybe another game made with that tech could possibly be “not the worst”. Maybe. I did see recently the Konami CEO admit he didn’t know anything about games until after he got the job. Maybe that was intended to imply contrition and a desire for change.

23. mrskwid says:

If someone who was well not konami was making this then i think it could be good state of decay was good and something like that with mgs5’s steal could be cool.
    But konami is konami and konami is the worst.

24. thekelvingreen says:

I must admit, I quite like the look of this. I like the idea behind the setting — although I doubt it will be explored in any real depth — and I enjoyed the gameplay in MGS5, and this looks like it will be similar.

25. Xiyng says:

This actually looks decent, but I won’t be getting it due to abuse of the IP. If this didn’t have Metal Gear in its name, I might be somewhat interested. Then again, I probably wouldn’t even know of this game, so there’s that.

Comment on this story